Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: afraid to take klonopin  (Read 171 times)

Offline anndroid7

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
afraid to take klonopin
« on: June 07, 2014, 12:13:52 AM »
Psychiatrist prescribed today and I am reading online it is horrible and will be awful to withdraw from.  My anxiety is horrible I've been to urgent care so many times this month my bill will take six months to pay.  I stopped taking ssri two days ago it made me suiccidal.  Anyone have any good experiences where they didn't have horrible withdrawals.  I don't know what to do  ....
Bookmark and Share

Offline kevinjoseph

• Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: afraid to take klonopin
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2014, 12:24:26 AM »
i take klonopin/clonazepam and it helps me greatly. if you take it as prescribed i would ignore internet horror stories. does your doc know you stopped taking your ssri?
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 98
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2014, 12:41:49 AM »
Psychiatrist prescribed today and I am reading online it is horrible and will be awful to withdraw from.

If you take Klonopin (clonazepam) regularly for more than a month or two you will likely become physically dependent on it and need to taper off it over some weeks, possible months depending on dose and how long you've been on it. This is also true of antidepressants to a lesser or greater degree. The only anxiety treatments where dependence is not usually an issue are the cognitive and/or behavioural and/or mindfulness therapies, and even then a few do develop a dependence on the therapist.

There are strategies for reducing the severity of Klonopin withdrawal effects such as switching to to the very long acting Valium (diazepam) and weaning off it. You need to also understand that at least some of the withdrawal issues can be psychological and not the med. Epileptics who typically take 10-20mg of Klonopin daily generally have far fewer problems discontinuing Klonopin than anxiety patients on much lower doses.

I stopped taking ssri two days ago it made me suiccidal.

Which SSRI was it, how much were you taking and how long had you been taking it?

Ian

Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline worldbeat99

• Rec's: 11
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2014, 12:58:49 AM »
A while back, I took clonipin on an as needed basis.  It worked fine.  Never got dependent on it.  I took it because
I was in a stressful job.

I might look into taking it again now that I have a case of GAD.  I know friends who've taken klonopin for a few years and
have no trouble with it.  You just can't pop klonopin like candy.  Keep the dose even.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: