Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Can the symptoms of a panic attack change over time?  (Read 91 times)

Offline Expertgamer

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Can the symptoms of a panic attack change over time?
« on: June 06, 2014, 07:16:56 PM »
Hey all, I was wondering something.

Can the symptoms of a panic attack change over time?

Thing is, I remember when I was 14-15 years old that I used to shake like crazy, sweat a lot, hyperventilate, felt my heart racing and felt very faint and dizzy while having one. I don't quite recall the sense of doom or the feeling I was dying though, but I was certainly freaking out.

I'm 23 now, and I've been having them again recently. However, they felt different. For instance, I no longer hyperventilate, sweat (aside from sweaty palms) or shake heavily while experiencing one. The faintness, sense of doom, the feeling I'm dying and racing heart etc. remain still. I can only explain the no longer hyperventilating part since I can think clearly enough to tell myself to keep breathing normally while having an attack.

Quite frankly I'm getting worried about the fact that my panic attack symptoms seem to have changed. Even after the doctor did a checkup twice and said I was fine, I keep wondering if it can happen that the symptoms that show up are different.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 167
    • Poke This Member
Re: Can the symptoms of a panic attack change over time?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2014, 05:09:46 AM »
Yes. They can. We all have smaller symptoms. Then we might have something big. One big symptom. Fear of passing out. Fear of throwing up. It is mainly these bigger fears that change over time. The smaller symptoms are what everybody has. The bigger ones might be unique to you. I began fearing panic attacks. Today I don't even think of panic attacks. They are not an issue. Different things have come along over the years and taken the place of the fear of the panic attacks. So your mind begins to focus on the newer fear and forgets about the older one.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Tags: