Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: difference between anxiety and something "real"  (Read 198 times)

Offline dontfeellikemyself

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
difference between anxiety and something "real"
« on: June 06, 2014, 05:04:50 PM »
I've been thinking a lot about this recently, and I don't mean to freak anyone out or make them stressed about this idea. I think it just makes me sad and feel worse about things...I think it's fair to say that most of us can chalk up our strange symptoms and feelings to anxiety, but what do you think is the line between something innocuous and symptoms that are really serious? It seems like most of you are very diligent about going to doctors over your symptoms, and I wish I could say the same for myself. No one in my family really frequents the doctor and they suppress things that might really be physically wrong with them. I guess for the most part the odds are on our side, but I find myself increasingly worried about being the X in a million, or part of that 2%...I'm living my life just waiting for the anvil to drop and I wish I could find a way to stop.
Bookmark and Share

Offline rap_Talon

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Depressed
    Depressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: difference between anxiety and something "real"
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2014, 05:10:28 PM »
Really, the only way to be sure is to see a doctor. When I notice a symptom, I go through a regular thought process.

1. Have I had this symptom before? If not, and it's something that might be of concern, then I see a doctor.
2. If I have, then is it more intense that it was before? If yes, I'll again see somebody about it.
3. Is it debilitating, or restricting my ability to go about life like normal. If yes, then I see somebody.
4. Does it persist for multiple days. Again, a yes will ensure that I seek support.
5. Accept it's probably anxiety, go about life, and not worry too much.

I always take a 'better safe than sorry' approach. Certain things, such as chest pain, are always, in my opinion, worth getting checked up on.
Bookmark and Share

Offline patmob

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: difference between anxiety and something "real"
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2014, 06:29:06 PM »
Increasing frequency and increasing intensity.

Honestly, when I've had something wrong, there wasn't a lol of "Gee! I'm not sure."  It was different and distinct.

Let's face it, we all come to a hypochondriac web page - we know it's mostly in our heads.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: