Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Please please please help me I think I have epilepsy  (Read 431 times)

Offline Jonnysmith

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Please please please help me I think I have epilepsy
« on: June 06, 2014, 02:17:45 PM »
I am experiencing intense deja vu and impending sense of fear for months and months I get confused after and funny feeling in stomach. I am so scared because I feel like I am in a dream and spaced out after these episodes. I don't know why this is happening but it's getting worse. My doctor doesn't know and I have been to neuro and he did MRI and EEG which was fine. What do I do? What is this?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Dayvid

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Please please please help me I think I have epilepsy
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2014, 02:20:34 PM »
Spaced out and dreamy sounds like DP/Dr - Anxiety
Sense of fear - anxiety attack
Dejavu - Anxiety - as you know i've been there.

I know i've commented before. And i'll try make this my last one.

Your tests came back fine. Your doctors have found nothing wrong with you. You're in this website. And your symptoms are anxiety symptoms.

It's anxiety.

All the best.
Bookmark and Share

Offline vardnas

• Rec's: 98
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2014, 04:13:10 PM »
I'm sorry you're struggling so much, but I agree, again, with Dayvid.

Anxiety feeds off uncertainty. So it's fitting that you've chosen to fear a disorder (epilepsy) that, as you say, cannot always be properly diagnosed, and can come on at anytime for any reason. That's a perfect HA fear, because you can fear it literally forever.

What you can do (again), is get off the epilepsy boards, and look into anxiety treatment. What have you got to lose? Give it six months, and if you're still feeling the way you feel today, then revisit the problem.
Bookmark and Share
In case anyone is still confused:  googling your symptoms will cause you to remain in a state of extreme anxiety. Stepping away from the internet is the first step toward lasting peace.

Offline Jonnysmith

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 05:26:33 PM »
Oh great so I am gonna have to wait for it to happen this seizure. Marvellous so my biggest fear could happen at any time. Now I am worried even more now
Bookmark and Share

Offline Dayvid

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2014, 06:11:03 PM »
Jonny, all we've tried to do is help you. We can't give medical advice.

All we can tell you is that what you are describing is Anxiety. And not epilepsy. I've been through very similar symptoms as have many people here.

There's nothing more we can do now. It's time for you to get off this forum and stop googling. It's not going to help you in this state.

You've been to the doctor and they've told you it's not epilepsy. I know it can be hard - but take that and run with it. It's more than what many people dare to do (go see the doc)

I wish you all the best, and remember what Anxiety can do. It's a scary, difficult process.

Remain positive and i wish you all the best.
Bookmark and Share

Offline vardnas

• Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2014, 09:53:51 PM »
Oh great so I am gonna have to wait for it to happen this seizure. Marvellous so my biggest fear could happen at any time. Now I am worried even more now

Nope, that's actually not what I said. I'm not blowing smoke up your ass—I'm trying to give you some REAL advice about your true problem, which is your anxiety. You can listen to it or not, but it doesn't call for a sarcastic response. You're on an anxiety web board—people here are naturally going to give you advice about how to treat that. Your fear of epilepsy is merely a symptom of your anxiety, and it probably won't go away until you address the real issue. 
Bookmark and Share
In case anyone is still confused:  googling your symptoms will cause you to remain in a state of extreme anxiety. Stepping away from the internet is the first step toward lasting peace.

Offline Lindsay2427

• Mood: Worried
    Worried
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2014, 10:24:41 PM »
This actually doesn't sound like a seizure at all. It sounds like a form of panic attack or severe anxiety. If you were having seizures a Neurologist would have picked up on it. Have you talked to your GP about anxiety medication
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jonnysmith

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2014, 06:21:33 AM »
I am so sorry if I have offended anyone and really apologise and I am so grateful for all your advice. I am just so scared as these episodes are so continuous it's like my vision is all over the place and I get thus fear rush through my body which lasts seconds. Could lack of sleep be a contributing factor? I really hope I am not developing epilepsy. Thank you everyone for giving feedback I am just a nervous wreck as a few years ago I never had this its just developed from nothing. Just trying to figure out how anxiety can mimic seizure symptoms identical
Bookmark and Share

Offline Dayvid

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2014, 09:10:33 AM »
Your symptoms aren't epilepsy symptoms. They are anxiety symptoms.

Anxiety can affect vision. What do you mean by all over the place? What's really happening to your vision?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jonnysmith

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2014, 09:38:58 AM »
My vision just goes dark and cloudy and feels quite jumpy. Then the panic sets in through my body with a funny feeling in stomach and leaves me with slight head pressure. Epilepsy symptoms say that the experience is the deja vu followed by rising feeling in stomach and sudden feeling of fear and terror which match my symptoms. They also say epilepsy mostly they find no cause for it. And some websites say people have suffered deja vu for tears before they experience a tonic clonic seizure where you collapse and shake. So although I have the all clear from the neuros it's still on my mind
Bookmark and Share

Offline vardnas

• Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2014, 11:37:21 AM »
Johnny, I'm curious to know how willing you are to even entertain the idea that what you're dealing with is anxiety driven. 'Cause right now, you sound so convinced that you're in some sort of ambiguous pre-epilepsy state, and if you can't be swayed in your thinking, then there isn't much that we can do for you. You are posting to an HA board, which tells me that there's at least a small part of you that believes this is anxiety-driven, otherwise you wouldn't be here.

We know your symptoms. I want to know other stuff—what's your situation like? How old are you? When did these feelings start coming on? What was going on in your life at the time? Do you live on your own? Do you work? What does a typical day look like for you? Does anyone in your family suffer from epilepsy? Why did you come to fear that particular disease? Have you ever feared anything else?

I'm not trying to be nosey, I just think it would help to put what you're experiencing into some context.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jonnysmith

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2014, 12:19:49 PM »
Hi vardnas I do believe I suffer with anxiety I really do I just cannot get my head around this whole epilepsy thing as my symptoms are identical to auras from seizures. Regards my life I am 33 wars old live with my wife in an apartment, we got married 7 months ago which was amazing. My fear over epilepsy has been with me since I was young and I have no idea what caused it, I have no family history of it but I have a very loving family who are amazing. I just have this fear that I am getting help currently with from a psychologist but the symptoms are definitely auras from what I have read. If someone said to me it's 100 percent anxiety and def nothing else I just need to convince myself.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Dayvid

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2014, 01:03:29 PM »
I was 100% convinced I was having simple partial seizures. CONVINCED. I told my brother that this is what i was having, he told me to read out the symptoms.

I had 2. He told me to stop being silly "again" and get on with my life. I kept searching and found psychogenic seizures. It added up. An article I read stated they were brought on by severe stress and/or anxiety. And, in my case, it helped that they stated that people who have them often have also suffered from DP/DR  - which i had just gotten over. Since this - never had one since. And it's because I tried to deal with my anxiety - which is the ROOT.

You've had all the tests. You've been given the clear. You are on these forums which shows to me that you have an anxiety problem. What you describe are not "definitely" auras before a seizure.

I've done enough research in my time worrying about the same exact problem to know what anxiety can cause. It seems your life long fear on epilepsy has teamed up with your HA to make you FEEL like you're having one. When really, anxiety is the root cause.

Bookmark and Share

Offline vardnas

• Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2014, 01:19:06 PM »
Hi vardnas I do believe I suffer with anxiety I really do I just cannot get my head around this whole epilepsy thing as my symptoms are identical to auras from seizures. Regards my life I am 33 wars old live with my wife in an apartment, we got married 7 months ago which was amazing. My fear over epilepsy has been with me since I was young and I have no idea what caused it, I have no family history of it but I have a very loving family who are amazing. I just have this fear that I am getting help currently with from a psychologist but the symptoms are definitely auras from what I have read. If someone said to me it's 100 percent anxiety and def nothing else I just need to convince myself.

Well, okay, it actually sounds like you have a lot of tools in place. What does your psychologist say about your epilepsy fears? Are you taking any kind of medication? What do your wife and family say about your fears?

I think the single-most damaging thing you're doing to yourself right now is continuing to read about epilepsy and its symptoms. Right now, there's NO WAY for you to differentiate if your symptoms are being caused anxiety or pre-epilepsy, but I guarantee you that it's EXTREMELY common for anxiety sufferers to take all this presumed "evidence" and apply it to their situation. You see your symptoms through the a lens of "I must have epilepsy," so of course you're going to eventually become convinced that you have epilepsy—to the point of not being able to consider any different options. Acceptance of anxiety—and that ALL our symptoms stem from that—is key to recovery.

Read this:  http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php?topic=88760.msg498764 Another member just posted it last night. It's a list of things he's realized about anxiety that has really helped him. Maybe it'll help you, too.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jonnysmith

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2014, 01:52:29 PM »
I am currently taking citalopram only been on this for 8 days, my psychologist doesn't know where my fears over epilepsy have come from, as for my wife she is very supportive but losing a bit of patience with me now. Thanks for the link below its  much appreciated and very interesting read. I agree with you but the fact it could be anxiety or epilepsy as a severe hypochondriac I am always going to fear the worst and lean towards epilepsy but ore epileosy is a worry isn't it vardnas?
Bookmark and Share

Tags: