Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Pregnant-worried about ultrasound...  (Read 152 times)

Offline Chantelle

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
Pregnant-worried about ultrasound...
« on: June 06, 2014, 11:32:49 AM »
I went for my 21 week ultrasound and instead of being happy I am totally fretting. The exam went well, the tech was nice and it didn't take more than 25 minutes but near the end of my exam she told me to take two big breathes and scanned the area under my ribs on  my right side. I am terrified that she saw my lungs (would they even be visible that low? I am not great with anatomy) and saw something was wrong. I have had a bit of a wheezing feeling on that side in the back of my lung for a couple years now. It has never gotten worse or caused any problems but am terrified I have lung disease after taking having a horrible allergic reaction to a medication which can cause lung disease.

I feel like I am overshadowing this happy moment by worrying about this so much. I worried about it the whole way home :( Are lungs higher up in the chest? Do you think she was just grabbing another shot of baby or my placenta?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Toasted Butter

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Pregnant-worried about ultrasound...
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2014, 11:54:59 AM »
There's no way he could look into your lungs with an ultrasound and see if something was wrong. Lungs are filled with air and ultrasounds do not work in air. Also, he is not there to look for lung issues, and ultrasound techs are not permitted to go scoping around willy-nilly. If he thought that he saw something wrong then he would have been required to suggest that your primary physician investigate further. Also, the reason they ask you to hold your breath is because it pushes things into place so they can get a better look at how things are progressing.
Bookmark and Share

Offline bpadilla49

• Rec's: 5
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2014, 01:52:34 PM »
I agree with Toasted. I've had both abdominal ultrasound (not pregnant, gall bladder issues) and an abdominal ultrasound while pregnant...obviously. lol. With my non-pregnant ultrasounds, they would tell me to take a deep breath and hold it so that they can get a better picture of other organs that aren't readily visable when my lungs aren't full of air. When my lungs are full of air, it pushes the organs down, beneath my ribs so they can get a clear picture of them, and so my ribs aren't in the way. Same thing with a pregnant abdominal ultrasound. Your uterus is growing and pushing things out of the way. She probably wanted a clear view of the top of your uterus, which very well may be underneath your ribcage at this point. So by having you hold your breath, it would push your uterus down, below your ribs, so she can get a clear picture of your uterus without your ribs in the way.
Bookmark and Share

Offline famv5

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Content
    Content
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 01:55:35 PM »
I agree, as well.   I believe with your lungs they need a chest x-ray or CT scan.  I'm sure they were simply getting another view of the baby. :)

Don't worry yourself.
Bookmark and Share
"Our anxiety does not empty tomorrow of its sorrows, but only empties today of its strengths" - Charles H. Spurgeon

Offline Chantelle

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2014, 03:46:24 PM »
Ok, this makes me feel better. Thank you for taking the time to reply guys, I really appreciate it!

I was told by another pregnant lady that sometime they do this to get a better look at your kidney's or liver. Of course, being a hypo didn't make me feel a whole lot better after hearing this but perhaps it's a regular part of their exam for all pregnant patients?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Toasted Butter

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2014, 09:37:07 PM »
Yes, they will usually check your liver and kidney just to make sure that they aren't in a position where they can be harmed by the baby as it develops or is delivered. Some people have these organs located in unusual places, so they like to check these while doing the ultrasound just to make sure. If this were the case I'm sure they would have mentioned it, and then special precautions could be taken to ensure that it didn't cause you any problems.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: