Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: heading to my first mental health appointment ever after 7 years on my own..  (Read 226 times)

Offline zav4999

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I have my first appointment with a mental health doctor for my anxiety and depression issues. I have battle with anxiety since my senior year of high school and some depression in between those years. It had got pretty bad back in april and I finally realized I needed to seek professional help for my issues because It gets hard to just rely on a anti anxiety med to try and deal with these issues. I had been feeling better lately but the depression hasn't went away. been so off and on. I'm hoping this is the first step to recovery and to start living a happier life because it's all I've ever tried to accomplish these past years and thought I could just manage my anxiety an depression and somehow make it disappear on my own and I realized I don't think I can do it on my own. So wish me luck everybody hope I get some answers.
Bookmark and Share

Offline worldbeat99

• Rec's: 11
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Good luck, Zav.  It's good you're taking to the step to see a professional.  Hopefully they will have some good solutions for you.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Rob783

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Just a couple tips from someone who's been to therapist:

1) Chemistry is important......not in a romantic sense, but in a Doctor/Patient sense.  If after several appts you still don't trust/believe what you therapist is doing don't be afraid to seek another councilor
2) Be 100% open/honest.....  It doesn't help you or the therapist if you hide/lie about how your really feeling
3) Keep a journal of what sets off your depression/anxiety.....  We only see a therapist once a week.  A lot can happen in between appts, this helps to jog your memory
4) Therapy takes time....  You may not notice small changes day to day. Keep motivated even when your down to keep seeking help.

Good luck!
Bookmark and Share

Offline zav4999

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
well it went ok. It was just a intake and the therapist lady was just asking a lot of questions and typing them into the computer she was on. I don't think she's the person i'll be talking with but she was nice. It sucked because I went in there trying to hold it together and be fine but I haven't talked to anyone besides people I know about this and kind of got emotional but she was nice about it. When I made the appointment it was about 5-6 weeks ago because there so over booked, and back then I was going through the really hard rough dark phase of this depression and anxiety. Since then I started having consistent temporary work(which I don't like job wise but need the $), eating better, and going to the gym 4=5 a week. It has helped and i'm not as bad as in the beginning, but i'm still having depression. So when she was asking about the depression and anxiety I guess my answers were coming off that I was doing better and I didn't really even realize I was making it seem that way. So she said they usually will refer patients who are pretty bad with their anxiety/depression and  if it sounded like I was doing ok they usually wouldn't set up another meeting. So she asked again why I was here, and that pretty much made me kind of breakdown, because even though I might be doing the right things to feel better, I know deep down that I need help with this. It isn't normal to try an not get emotional an cry every time you try and talk about this issue with someone. And she knew right then that I was having real problems with these issues and knew I bottle it up for a long time and I just breakdown when I finally try and talk about it. She said it seems like i'm lost with what's been going on and it's true. I just think I can somehow make this depression disappear and after two months it hasn't. The depression has taken over the usualy anxiety i'd be concerned about and it just real confusing time lately. So my next appointment with I believe is the doctor i'll be talking to is not until july 14th. I'm ok with that at least it's something. I'm just going to keep sticking to this healthier lifestyle I've been working on and go from there and try to take it one day at a time.
Bookmark and Share

Offline kconnors

• Rec's: 57
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
You are taking the first step and it is an accomplishment. Whenever we speak of something we hold to be so personal, there is good reason to become emotional . . . finally, we are saying what we have been keeping inside of ourselves; accepting that it is a health issue and not something to hide; and also there is a sense of emotional release to hear it out loud even if we have spoken of it to close friends and family. Well done. You are doing so many good things such as changes to your lifestyle and yes, these will help, but you need the guidance to deal with the triggers. I would not worry about making your situation better than it is . . . we get pretty conditioned to hiding the depth of our issues and the fact that she asked you again why you were there, well, she probably sensed that you were trying to make things sound better than they are and she was just trying to help you know that you could tell the truth even if it has been something that has just been lurking . . .. you have shown such character and strength . . . I am so pleased for you that you are making such great decisions . . . as for depression and anxiety confusing each other, well each is just one side of a coin . . . you have a bit of time between now and your first appointment . . . as one of our colleagues has posted, try and keep a journal  . . . it does not have to be great literature . . . but it will help you when you meet with the doctor . . . what makes you feel better; what triggers either depression or anxiety; how the new lifestyle is helping and what changes you are making and when and, yes, yes, yes . . . it is a journey, so one day at a time is exactly the approach . . . if you think we can help, let us know or just drop by and let us know how you are doing . . . well done right now . . . . and thank you for sharing your experience with us . . . . take care, kc
Bookmark and Share

Offline zav4999

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
thanks for the reply Connors. that was a real nice reply I appreciate it. I will drop by an let you know how it's going . this site is great and has great people like yourself. thanks
Bookmark and Share

Tags: