Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: Can't Catch My Breath: A Month Later  (Read 458 times)

Offline Breathless

• Rec's: 3
    • Poke This Member
Can't Catch My Breath: A Month Later
« on: June 05, 2014, 09:22:15 PM »
So I have good days and bad days but I'm still struggling with this breathless sensation. I run 4 miles every morning, work, eat, sleep but it's like I feel smothered, tight and can't catch a satisfying breath. The docs say I'm fine although I haven't had a battery of tests in a few years now. It's like I'm stuck in a rut of awareness of my breath. If I start to worry about it the problem gets worse.

I'm accepting this is either

1) I'm just an unlucky soul that has an illness that is going undiagnosed

2) Its anxiety and I'm focused on the symptoms

Accepting the situation helps but like I said I have good days and bad

I just want to be able to breathe again : (

Bookmark and Share
"Cowards die many times before their deaths;the valiant never taste of death but once. Of all the wonders that I yet have heard, it seems to me most strange that men should fear; Seeing that death, a necessary end, will come when it will come." Julius Caesar

Offline Breathless

• Poke This Member
Re: Can't Catch My Breath: A Month Later
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 09:27:17 PM »
I just spend my days gasping taking deep breaths. This makes my breathing muscles tight and tired thus worsening the situation. The only thing that kinda helps is avoiding at all costs mouth breathing, avoiding or prolonging taking that deep breath, exercise and prayer. I'm a recovering alcoholic so I don't drink to mask the problem. A benzo helps in a pinch but the breathlessness is still there, just not as bad.

Please someone talk to me. Anyone out there that has this I'd love to hear from you.
Bookmark and Share
"Cowards die many times before their deaths;the valiant never taste of death but once. Of all the wonders that I yet have heard, it seems to me most strange that men should fear; Seeing that death, a necessary end, will come when it will come." Julius Caesar

Offline comoso

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 11:36:54 PM »
I've had it daily for 10 months.  At the worst time, I was gasping for catching that "satisfying" breath every 3 minutes.  I've got really good at it.  I pretty much catch my breath 99% of the time now.  I still do it like some crazy reflex, but it's got a lot less.  The key is to make sure you give up the breath before to get that big catch.  You can't catch your breath when you start trying with your lungs already half full. 

Just try to not focus on it and it'll fade.  I probably do it 20 times a day or so now.  I'll go hours without and then all the sudden I'll gasp for air and it'll stick around for a little while but then it'll go and not happen for hours.

Let it go, don't focus on it.  anxiety coach.com.  He has a good video about catching your breath.  Take a look.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Breathless

• Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 12:36:33 AM »
I've had it daily for 10 months.  At the worst time, I was gasping for catching that "satisfying" breath every 3 minutes.  I've got really good at it.  I pretty much catch my breath 99% of the time now.  I still do it like some crazy reflex, but it's got a lot less.  The key is to make sure you give up the breath before to get that big catch.  You can't catch your breath when you start trying with your lungs already half full. 

Just try to not focus on it and it'll fade.  I probably do it 20 times a day or so now.  I'll go hours without and then all the sudden I'll gasp for air and it'll stick around for a little while but then it'll go and not happen for hours.

Let it go, don't focus on it.  anxiety coach.com.  He has a good video about catching your breath.  Take a look.

Thank you brother. I'm glad you are managing this well. Thanks for posting. I will work on letting air out first before taking the deep breath.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Julie A. Cook

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2014, 08:42:32 AM »
You are doing all the right things to take are of yourself.  It's anxiety.  If you can run four miles a day, you are in great health.  Your acceptance will curethe problem.

Best regards,

Julie
Bookmark and Share

Offline raggamuffin

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2014, 10:08:43 AM »
The sensation you aren't getting proper breaths is quite common. it's very unnerving but it's certainly likely to be due to anxiety. if there was something truly wrong with your lungs you wouldn't be able to go for your daily run.

Being overly sensitive to sensations, pains and symptoms is all too common with anxiety disorders. Making mountains out of molehills etc. Reducing stress and accepting sensations as harmless will help. Kepp busy and work on bettering yourself through meditation, mindfulness or undertaking therapy

Ed
Bookmark and Share
Feel free to add me on the book of faces - "Ed Raggamuffin Foulds"

Offline Breathless

• Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2014, 10:52:13 AM »
Yep...I'm always pole vaulting over mouse turds lol
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jane Sander

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2014, 11:46:36 AM »
I used to have a similar problem where I kept coughing for no reason at all. It felt like I could never clear my lungs no matter how hard I tried yet could run 12km in a good time whenever I wanted to, pretty much.

Is this the same thing do you think?

J
Bookmark and Share

Offline Breathless

• Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2014, 11:23:51 PM »
I used to have a similar problem where I kept coughing for no reason at all. It felt like I could never clear my lungs no matter how hard I tried yet could run 12km in a good time whenever I wanted to, pretty much.

Is this the same thing do you think?

J

No not exactly. Mine is more the inability to get a nice satisfying deep breath.
Bookmark and Share

Offline comoso

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2014, 09:41:10 PM »
Have you tried any medication?  I know they've helped me.  I'm no where near healed on the anxiety part, but it all started with bad breathing and the breathing has improved greatly so I'm hoping the anxiety starts to follow suit.
Bookmark and Share

Offline new_mommy13

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2014, 08:55:47 PM »
I have had panic disorder all of my life.. I'm 29 now and have had panic attacks since I was a child. I think I have experienced every anxiety symptom under the sun, but this one just began recently. I actually just posted some interesting information that I found online in the GAD section and it talks about "hyperventilation" which sounds like the problem.
It's like we're breathing too much and are far to aware of the breath which is supposed to happen naturally. Years ago I was actually convinced that I had asthma but I never did wheeze or cough much. Now that this "breathing problem" is cropping up again and I have been generally VERY anxious recently,  wonder if I ever did have "asthma" symptoms to begin with. I doubt it!
Bookmark and Share

Offline thegoodwitch

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2014, 06:29:16 PM »
Hi I've always suffered with anxiety, agoraphobia, panic attacks and this time 2 years ago I couldn't breathe properly anymore. Went to my GP and the emergency department a number of times only to be told each time it was anxiety. So after about a month of hell, I finally agreed to go on medication and I'm not kidding, I haven't looked back  :happy0151:
Bookmark and Share

Tags: