Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: can't stop worrying about the future of mankind :(  (Read 209 times)

Offline channybanner

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
can't stop worrying about the future of mankind :(
« on: June 05, 2014, 03:34:41 PM »
Heya! My first post here.. you guys seem friendly and I could really do with some one to talk to and/or some insight my situation..

I'll cut to it.. for the last two/three months I have become obsessed with worrying about some of the issues facing mankind (.e.g Environment, Energy, Food). It's taken over my life and it's making me feel very crappy.. and I'd like it to stop!!!

I know these issues are important and I know they might be resolved.. there's some amazing things being done to push technology further and it all might be ok.. but it doesn't stop me worrying.

My symptoms are:
- Waking up worrying about the problem
- Burning desire to read up on news, scientific breakthroughs etc.. these sometimes make me feel better but I think overall they just remind me of the issues..
- I think I might have lost weight.. I'm pretty skinny as it is though!
- Any spare thought will be spent on thinking/worrying about these issues - this is very draining throughout the day
- A feeling of hopelessness and sadness
- wanting to cry randomly

I've talked to my family about it and they say not to worry, you can't do any thing about it etc but that doesn't really help to be honest. My state of mind has slightly improved since my initial fears but it's still taking over my life and making me very unhappy.

I have gone to my doctor about it and he said it might be related to something else in my life, my family think the same. My life situation is:

- mid-twenties, still live at home with my gf..
- worked so hard over the past 5 years on various projects including bands & businesses but without much success which makes me feel a bit of a failure!
- currently working with my brother on a project over the past year which is coming together really nicely but it's taking so long and to be honest is making me feel really low and worried if it's gonna go anywhere (this is what everyone thinks my real worry is)

I'm not sure what to expect you guys to say but I'm hoping you have some tips on dealing with these emotions, and getting out of this rut! The things I'm worrying about might not effect me for twenty+ years or they might not even happen at all but I just can't stop this feeling of dread!

Sorry for the ramblings and thanks for reading :)

Bookmark and Share

Offline Lunatone

• Rec's: 21
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: can't stop worrying about the future of mankind :(
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 07:00:04 PM »
You've recognized you have a problem, that its really not correct to be thinking the way you do about these things. By realizing that, you've cleared the most difficult barrier to recovery.

It gets easier. Early on during my anxiety, I would get nervous when i thought about how hot the sun was, despite how far we are from it.

Oh, but don't expect quick resolution. You'll be dissapointed. But it does get easier.
Bookmark and Share

Offline raggamuffin

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2014, 01:38:36 AM »
This is what triggered my depression and anxiety. The media is geared towards promoting fear and doubt and worries. Do yourself a favour and avoid the newsdfor a while to help keep your anxiety in check. Mine started reading a double page spread in a paper when I was 10 HOW THE WORLD WILL END and 15 ways humanity would die. Instantly I was swept into a world of constant worrying to the point I felt sick, panic and unsafety. Took many years to reach a point of acceptance. Don't burden yourself with all the world's worries - it's an impossible and pointless task.

You have to learn to be happy with uncertainty and this takes a long time. Speak to a doctor about starting CBT therapy. It'll help with reducing and controlling anxiety. Don't be like me, and let these worries and fears go unspoken to friends and family for 18 years and let it spill into full blown disorders. Grasp the nettle and start your road to recovery.

Ed
Bookmark and Share
Feel free to add me on the book of faces - "Ed Raggamuffin Foulds"

Offline channybanner

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 03:02:01 AM »
Thanks for the replies guys. I'll look into CBT.. I was hoping to defeat this issue on my own but maybe that's going to be hard.
Bookmark and Share

Online tinam7

• Rec's: 76
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2014, 08:01:36 AM »
Can't resist this juicy question. Sometimes I think I live in a Twilight Zone having been around before the advent of all this dazzling technology. Contrary to common belief life was, as I see it, a touch better. Technology gives us knowledge and presumably "knowledge is power." It can also yield untold negative results. For one thing, it exposes the nature of humans. There are good people, to be sure. But look at the primitivism of terrorists, of dictators, of wars, of starvation, of untold suffering, of criminals, of corruption, of schemers, etc.

Mankind won't endure. So what? It will be annihilated in any number of ways. Busy scientists have now discovered that our Milky Way is on a collision course with the larger Galaxy Andromeda. There are asteroids floating around all over space. We are doing a fine job ourselves destroying the planet. Mars cannot accommodate us.

My suggestion? Turn it all off as much as possible. Turn inward, develop yourself from the inside out. Do the best you can today for yourself, for those around you. If anxiety persists see a therapist, learn CBT and ACT, practice meditation. You can make the most of today. No need to worry, you won't be around for the destruction.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: