Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Body checking, anyone?  (Read 302 times)

Offline leah2013

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Body checking, anyone?
« on: June 05, 2014, 12:59:26 PM »
This terrible for me. It's like I have OCD with it. I check my body for signs of the disease I fear at the moment constantly. Right now it's lupus, so I constantly check my mouth for sores, check my joints, my skin for rashes, etc. This is getting out of control. My friend, who has lupus and who is my trigger for the disease, told me that her heart rate was 150 and had to be hospitalized... so now I am constantly taking my blood pressure and checking my heart rate so make sure it's not high..... I am really SICK in my head. I had some serious mental issues...

I started lexapro 4 days ago and I am praying this will help with my HA. I heard CBT helps too.

Anyone does this? and has anyone able to stop body checking? please share your stories!

Thanks so much!
Bookmark and Share
Going thru a rough patch! Praying for peace of mind and happiness!!!!

Offline LilMousey

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Body checking, anyone?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 01:02:11 PM »
Yep. I think we all do that here. I have the habit of always checking my lymph nodes for signs of whatever I think I may be having.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Toasted Butter

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 02:17:51 PM »
The things I check for can be caused by the mere fact that I'm consciously thinking about them. If I think, "How's my vertigo?" then I instantly feel more dizzy. If I notice a tick in my chest then I instantly get tachycardia and arrhythmia. Worrying about weakness and clumsiness in my hands will make me get weak and clumsy in my hands, and so forth. I try not to think about those things because I know that the mere thought of them makes them worse. Instead I try to ask myself, "How tight are my chest muscles? Is my jaw clenched? Can I relax my shoulders a bit more?" Those seem to be more helpful questions because they help me proactively prevent the symptoms rather than making them worse. But it's hard to change your thoughts; if you tell somebody not to think about an alligator, then the first thing they will think of is an alligator.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ColdHands

• Rec's: 6
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • Warm heart, strong mind, struggling liver
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 02:28:44 PM »
Thought this was a hockey thread...... :spineyes:

Sorry, didn't mean to be too light about your issue.  I used to do this, not so much anymore.

I go to a doc on the 17th and a high ANA, so they suspect Lupus for me too, but I don't meet 4 of the 11 criteria. 

I doubt you even meet one.   You need to calm down.
Bookmark and Share
"There is just one more thing that bothers me."  Columbo

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 36
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 07:32:26 PM »
Guilty as charged!  I try not to, but it's hard to avoid your own body.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lunatone

• Rec's: 19
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 08:11:47 PM »
I check my pulse a lot. This is cause the event that triggered my panic disorder was me trying to check my pulse, and not feeling anything. This was of course because I touched my collar bone, and readjusting instantly resolved the problem, but it was too late. Especially because I thought it kept skipping beats.

But like most things, I decided to learn everything i could. Did you know that if you check your pulse, the first beat will seem to take longer than the beats that come after it? You can recreate this illusion with a clock that has a ticking second hand. The first second seems to take longer.

This was good to figure out, because I'd feel nervous, check my pulse, i'd get scared cause i couldnt feel it instantly, which would shoot my heart rate up. Upon feeling it I'd know I was okay, and my heart rate would go down, and I'd think my heart was about to stop.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Iskallos

• Chicken Chaser
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2014, 08:17:13 PM »
I know I do, back when I was worried about my heart (and I still am to some extent), I would check my pulse regularly. I also have a habit of checking for moles or anything wrong with my skin, which happens semi-regularly.

I check my pulse a lot. This is cause the event that triggered my panic disorder was me trying to check my pulse, and not feeling anything. This was of course because I touched my collar bone, and readjusting instantly resolved the problem, but it was too late. Especially because I thought it kept skipping beats.

The same thing happened to me, I'd check my pulse and some way through I would move my fingers a little bit and think my heart skipped a few beats or something like that.
Bookmark and Share

Offline SadandScared

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2014, 11:20:02 PM »
As a matter of fact, I've been in the throes of a self-checking frenzy for the past three weeks. Since I have OCD as well as HA, checking (and rechecking, and re-rechecking) is a huge issue for me. This time, it's manifested as worry about breast cancer (one of my big fears). Started by noticing some stretch marks on my breasts that I hadn't noticed over the long, cold winter coupled with what I know (intellectually) is menopausal breast tenderness, and it devolved into constant checking (for lumps, for rashes, skin changes, swelling, etc. etc.). I've actually managed to pull some muscles while checking, which means more pain, which leads to more checking...and so it goes. Pain right now (never mind the three hours I spent working in the garden today) led to an hour of poking and prodding. But for once, Doc Google actually did me a solid. I googled "lumps under skin" (after studying how to check my lymph nodes yet again and checking them--a lot) and presto...the lumps are fat (I'm 40 pounds overweight). Fricking fat. It occurred to me that I feel some pain and check it, and yep, there's a lump there--I finally checked several painless random areas and yep, same lumps. Again, fricking fat. I truly hate the checking--I sometimes even get up in the night and check--and I undoubtedly make any and all pains worse by prodding them endlessly. Hoping that this latest bout of spinning is winding down. But, yeah, checking is a way of life for me (not just the body, but door and window locks, the deodorant cap--don't ask). For me OCD and HA go hand in hand, and exacerbate one another.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Blobuk11

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2014, 07:38:13 AM »
Same here. I think checking is the worst part of HA. It seems your mind can't let go even though you know nothing is wrong. It's terrible. Hope you feel better.
Bookmark and Share

Offline lxm21

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2014, 10:08:00 AM »
I notice myself checking things a lot too. My latest fear has been ALS, so I constantly find myself checking to see if I'm having trouble swallowing. I'll check my arms and legs for weakness.  Even as I type this, I find myself checking to see if I'm struggling to type or are the words not coming to me as quickly as they used to. It's definitely obsessive thinking that only makes things worse.  The more you focus on a symptom/sensation the more you're going to notice it and believe it to be abnormal.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: self checking