Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: New to the board  (Read 60 times)

Offline Bookwrm79

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
New to the board
« on: June 05, 2014, 11:31:19 AM »
I'm new to the site. I was recently diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder. My doctor prescribed Lexapro which I have not started taking yet. I've been dealing with anxiety issues since the age of 9. My mom did take me to the doctor because I had constant headaches, but she convinced them that I was just faking them to get out of doing chores. So needless to say I just started suffering in silence all these years because I felt no one would take me serious, but the constant worry, anxiety and other symptoms just never went away. I'm really glad I found a doctor that actually took the time to listen to me, and that I came across this site because I've never been able to talk to anyone, other than my sister, about what I'm going through. I'm a little anxious and nervous about starting my new medication tomorrow as I've never been on any type of medication. I bought a journal to keep track of any side affects or changes in mood that I notice.
Bookmark and Share

Online MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 23
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: New to the board
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 12:24:15 PM »
Hello Bookwrm...  Welcome to Anxiety Zone!  My name is Chuck, and I am one of the Global Moderators here on the site.

You are now a member of our community, where you will find support and advice from other members in similar situations.   It's always nice to find someone else who understands, and to know you're not alone.

We have sections in the forum that address specific concerns, so feel free to post or start a new topic in the section that best fits your situation.  Feel free to explore the rest of the forum.  You may find the other topics helpful, and you may be able to offer advice or support to someone else.

We also have a chat room for members over the age of 18.  Once you have made three meaningful posts, you will be allowed access to the chat room.

Regarding your Lexapro, I have a few suggestions to make to you.  First, when starting an selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI), such as Lexapro, it can really help to keep start-up side effects down if you start off at a sub-therapeutic dose.  I recommend that you start off at not more than 5 mg, or you can even start at 2.5 mg if you wish.  You can increase the dose every 7-10 days.  Also, each anti-depressant has a minimum therapeutic dose, and for Lexapro, that is 10 mg.  So you will need to be on at least 10 mg for the medication to work.  A maximum dose of Lexapro is now considered to be 20 mg.

With start-up side effects, Book, some individuals have none, some have a few, and some more severe.  Start-up side effects are not unusual. They may include upset stomach, diarrhea/constipation, insomnia, sweating, and an actual increase in anxiety, to name a few of the classic ones.  These side effects are not going to hurt you, and they usually only last 2-3 weeks before diminishing rapidly.  When you increase your dose of Lexapro, the side effects my return for a bit, but this is usually short lived.

Lexapro is an excellent anti-depressant, and I hope that it works well for you.  I am on Celexa, which is Lexapro's sister drug, and it has really helped me tremendously.

Just to add, anti-depressants take a long time to work.  One will usually see degrees of improvement between 3 and 12 weeks of treatment and beyond, on a therapeutic dose (that being 10 mg for the Lexapro).

Again, welcome to Anxiety Zone, Bookwrm.  The very best to you!...  Chuck :grinning-smiley-003:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Bookwrm79

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: New to the board
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 09:19:57 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: