Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Localised chronic chest pain  (Read 118 times)

Offline avion

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Localised chronic chest pain
« on: June 05, 2014, 06:36:40 AM »
Hi all

About 6 months I experienced chest pain, localised to a very specific area (around the upper sternum). It was only painful if I applied any pressure but it was very sensitive (running fingers along sternum was enough to trigger the sharp pain).

I went to the Dr and they said it was probably costochondritis and suggested Ibuprofen (which I took and the symptoms did seem to improve).

Anyway, move to the present day and its very sporadic - the sensitivity will come and go. The last few days its been particularly sensitive.

Has anyone else experienced something like this?

Thanks
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 64
  • Mood: Busy
    Busy
    • Poke This Member
Re: Localised chronic chest pain
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 08:08:15 AM »
Welcome to anxietyzone. Sometimes I get tenderness, but the key is not to keep pressing on it
as it may make the feeling worsen.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline Toasted Butter

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 04:31:26 PM »
This was once my most common symptom of anxiety. I get it much less now that I am careful to avoid carrying so much tension in my chest and shoulder. Also, I get a therapeutic massage about once per month and that helps a lot, too. It helps to know that this is a pretty typical anxiety symptom, and that it is not indicative of a heart or lung issue.
Bookmark and Share

Offline famv5

• Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 04:44:15 PM »
YES, I have this same thing and have had it for over a year now.  I've had one doctor say it sounded like Costochondritis, although I don't have all of the symptoms for that.  It's just tender to touch and aches off and on. 

I went for a stress test on Monday and they had to push down for a while to do an u/s of my heart.  OMG....it's still super sore to even lightly touch that area. 

My cardiologist said if you have a pain in your chest that you can reproduce by touch, it's not heart related.
Bookmark and Share
"Our anxiety does not empty tomorrow of its sorrows, but only empties today of its strengths" - Charles H. Spurgeon

Offline wegngis

• Rec's: 17
  • Mood: Exhausted
    Exhausted
  • Personal Text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 05:15:37 PM »
I tend to carry my tension in my chest too.  Almost 2 years straight of 24/7 heart attack symptoms, although it's been better in the past few weeks.  I have a foam roller that helps, I lay back across it to stretch my chest out.
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety happens at the subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state.  - AnxietyZone member Sixpack

Offline famv5

Scared
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 05:20:48 PM »
What exactly does it mean to carry your anxiety in your chest?
Bookmark and Share
"Our anxiety does not empty tomorrow of its sorrows, but only empties today of its strengths" - Charles H. Spurgeon

Offline wegngis

• Rec's: 17
  • Mood: Exhausted
    Exhausted
  • Personal Text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2014, 05:23:05 PM »
What exactly does it mean to carry your anxiety in your chest?

I suppose this is different for everyone, but when my anxiety ramps up, my chest tightens up.  When I'm calming, the pain goes away.  Make sense?  It's as if there's a direct connection right to my chest.
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety happens at the subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state.  - AnxietyZone member Sixpack

Offline famv5

Scared
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2014, 05:42:35 PM »
That does make sense.  I tend to feel the soreness in the front of my chest, the pain radiating down my arm constantly and today I even felt this pressure feeling in my upper back.  I took a gas pill thinking it was that but it's still there. 

Any idea why I would feel all of these pains only when I'm moving around?  When I sit or lie down, I feel 90% better.  But the minute I get up and start doing things, the achy begins. 

Weird.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Toasted Butter

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2014, 02:15:00 AM »
The reason you feel it more when you move around is because you are using those sore, knotted muscles. When you are at rest they are at rest, too.
Bookmark and Share

Tags:

anything