Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Xanax does NOT help, anyone else like this?  (Read 191 times)

Offline sarahsmith

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Xanax does NOT help, anyone else like this?
« on: June 05, 2014, 04:30:20 AM »
My 12 yr old daughter has severe anxiety and wants to die, says she can't live like this.  Xanax, even in really high doses does not reduce her anxiety.   After 5 weeks on Lexapro (now up to 15 mg) there is still no relief.  Thought If I could find others that also had that problem with Xanax NOT helping, it might help to find out what meds did work, and maybe they would work for her as well.  Thanks for any feedback.

Sarah
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 169
    • Poke This Member
Re: Xanax does NOT help, anyone else like this?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 05:42:12 AM »
Everybody is different when it comes to medication. What works for me may not work at all for another person. Most times it is a case of hit and miss with medication. You keep trying different sorts until you find the right one for you. Xanax is a fast acting form of medication. It has an instant kick in effect. But it only lasts so long. I was on it for years and it worked great for me. Then I switched to Klonopin. That is slower release form of medication. More steady. But it lasts much longer in your system. They are the two big hitters for most people with anxiety. 12 is a young age. I am not sure what a doctor would be willing to give a 12 year old. A lot of people might be on two or even three types of medication. At 12, I don't think that would be right. I am even surprised the doctor gave the highest dose of Xanax. She might have to try a few other ones until she finds one that works for her. But I would suggest therapy as well. She is still a young girl. If treated in the correct way she can get by this and live a happy anxiety free life.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline sarahsmith

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 06:05:43 AM »
She has been in therapy for quite a while, but she says she can't do CBT.  She won't apply the techniques.  Tries to slow breath but that's about it, but really not very successful with that either.  Doc thinks she needs some relief and that then she will be able to do therapy.  She was cutting, pulling chunks of her hair out, just really desperate things to feel better.  Hoping Lexapro starts working.
Bookmark and Share

Offline pearlsdream

• Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • take root in the sun's pond, and rise at the fire
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 06:44:00 AM »
When i was around that age, xanax, deep breaths, any kind of distraction didnt help either. I even started putting xanax under my tongue to get maximum effectiveness. Maybe a tranq like valium will be more helpful. I would be so paranoid and anxious and nothing could make it stop and id scratch my own skin off. These episodes would last for months until life just became more peaceful, maybe this just needs to be waited out..
Bookmark and Share
Weeping willow, wont you wallow louder?

Offline DiJoPa

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 08:45:16 AM »
If your daughter has been in therapy "for a while" then, you might want to change to a different psychologist or psychiatrist; one that specializes in treating children/adolescents with anxiety.  Getting a 2nd, or even a 3rd opinion, is never a bad idea.  Especially, if she's not improving.  Xanax or other meds in this class (benzo's) is NOT the solution.  If you find the right treatment, now, it won't become a life-long problem for her.  Best of luck!           
Bookmark and Share

Offline Paws

• The Fabulous
  • Rec's: 1
  • Kitties!
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 10:19:58 AM »
Sarah, your daughter has to WANT the therapy. She has to understand that it may take a while for meds, therapy, or anything to take effect. If she's constantly self analyzing herself and keeps wishing things to be different, she will remain stuck in this rut. Why is that? Let me explain.

Anxiety is worry. Worries serve a single purpose. To make us more aware of possible dangers. So what can you do when you spot the danger? You'd take measures to either fight it or run away from it. With anxiety, the danger itself are the thoughts and all those nasty physical symptoms. You try to find ways to deal with them, make them vanish, but that isn't possible because these symptoms are there to protect you! If a rabid dog chases you, you won't stay there and freak out why your heart beats so fast or why your breaths are erratic, yes? You'd simply run away and think later! Thing is, all that adrenaline subsides after you reach a safe place. A normal person wouldn't even notice that high state of fright that urges them to run. They'll simply go along with it.

So to go back to my original idea, you cannot fight thoughts with thoughts. Your daughter most definitely tries to fight fire with fire. She's stressed out because of these weird symptoms and in turn worries even more about how unnatural and bizarre the situation is, thus releasing even more adrenaline into her system.

I know it might be hard for you to do this, but you HAVE to explain to her that things get better and that she can live with it. There are cripples or other unfortunate folk that have it way worse than her. The trick here is to desensitize her from anxiety. To take the power away from anxiety. In order to do that, she has to shift her thoughts towards other activities, such as games or learning something new or watching the tv. She needs to prove to herself that she can do stuff regardless of her state of mind. Once her focus shifts from anxiety to something else, the symptoms will start to dissipate.

A lot of people on these boards said distraction is the best form of temporary therapy. Give her something to think about other than anxiety and see how that goes.

I wish you and your daughter all the best, Sarah. It's not easy, but you can get there. Like the posters above me said, she is very young. The brain is still malleable at that stage, so with proper management I'm sure she can be rid of anxiety in less than a year.
Bookmark and Share
Work hard, and slack harder.

Tags: