Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: This canīt be just anxiety - slurring and stumbling on words all the time  (Read 474 times)

Offline Rasalhauge

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Yet another thread about my speech issues, but they are realy starting to drive me towards the edge. Iīve had anxiety (GAD, major depression, OCD and God knows what for years) but Iīve always been able to take comfort in my speech, I.e. I could mask most of my issues just by appearing happy etc. This is no longer possible, I constantly slur my words (especially longer ones), I stumble over almost every word (as if my mind and my mouth arenīt in synch) and to top it all off Iīve started to have serious swallowing issues. I constantly find it hard to swallow everything from liquid to solid food, I constantly get food stuck in the back of throat (like a lump that I canīt swallow), I have an almost constant shortness of breath and the list just goes on and on.

Sometimes it feels as if I have to much saliva, sometimes as if I donīt have enough. I have intermittent numbness of my lips, and sometimes they feel "unresponsive".

What scares me the most is the combination of quite severe speech problems and swallowing problems (and tongue twitching) with semi-constant muscle cramps in hands and feet and intermittent perceived weakness in one arm. Iīve been around on the hypochondria forum long enough to know the cardinal signs of Bulbar ALS=/

I canīt even get out a single sentence without having to think about how the word is pronounced, and more often than not I even fail to articulate the words in my head. Everything feels like a blur, and I am actually scared to death about this. I am actually almost unable to speak, I have to constantly go over things to say in my head, and sometimes it feels as if I speak faster than my mouth can keep up with. On top of it all some sounds seems harder to get out, and sometimes I almost have a lisp (which Iīve never had before). All other physical symptoms Iīve had fade in comparison to this ones=(

I doesnīt seem to have any actual weakness in my tongue though, but I guess itīs just a matter of time before that comes along...

Is there anyone who can even slightly relate to this?
Bookmark and Share
“There is no greater sorrow than to recall in misery the time when we were happy.”

- Dante Alighieri

Offline Scye27

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I would first check with your doctor to rule anything like Lou Gehrig's out. My aunt had it, and it was very difficult to watch her deteriorate and only be able to use a whiteboard to communicate.

Something I would consider too would be digestive issues like reflux and possible reactive hypoglycemia. I have both, and when I have an attack, I have many of the same symptoms. You may have a food allergy or intolerance that you don't know about either. There is a strong brain-gut connection.

I really hope you feel better soon.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Rasalhauge

Stressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I would first check with your doctor to rule anything like Lou Gehrig's out. My aunt had it, and it was very difficult to watch her deteriorate and only be able to use a whiteboard to communicate.

Something I would consider too would be digestive issues like reflux and possible reactive hypoglycemia. I have both, and when I have an attack, I have many of the same symptoms. You may have a food allergy or intolerance that you don't know about either. There is a strong brain-gut connection.

Well, that mental picture did not realy help with the anxiety associated with all this to be honest. Iīm sorry that your aunt had it, but what you described is pretty much what I fear the most=/
Bookmark and Share
“There is no greater sorrow than to recall in misery the time when we were happy.”

- Dante Alighieri

Offline Nelly22

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I'm having a similar issue right now. I posted about it a while back. I describe mine as though my mouth is ahead of my mind. Like I say things but it takes my brain a while to catch up and comprehend the words I just said. Also I do slur/stumble my words and also have trouble trying to think of how to spell, even though that has always been a strong point of mine.  I think it's another weird anxiety symptom because when I jumped to a new fear it seemed to be going away. I still have trouble swallowing, though, but I think I may have some type of acid reflux problem. Have you had health anxiety with different symptoms for a long time? I have had mine for around 10 years and have been certain I've had many horrible conditions and diseases. I've never been right yet.
Bookmark and Share

Offline xxAmyxx

• Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
It all sounds like anxiety to me. You're fixated on all the mouth functions. I stumble over my words all the time when I'm anxious, I'm sure I sound like an idiot at times. Oh well. I think you're fine.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ShawnW

• Rec's: 21
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member

Yeah, not to be a prick but that was probably the worst support I have ever read.  What were you thinking when you wrote this?
Bookmark and Share
My insight, thoughts, experiences or advice that may be posted in this forum are not meant as a substitution for the advice of your physician.

Want to know how to address your anxiety?
http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php/topic,93402.msg521266.html#msg521266

Offline ShawnW

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
You have a couple issues, one anxiety...and two anxiety medications.  Both can make you significantly slur your speech.  While I would never tell someone not to get checked out by their neurologist with these symptoms...if I recall you are young.  We are talking about a rare subset of a rare disorder in a very rare age group.  Mathematically speaking it would be like hitting the unluckiest cosmic lottery.  Like 1 in millions.  So, settle down and look at what is mathematically probable.  You have an established diagnosis that would account for ALL your symptoms.  Your head is in the wrong place right now and you are not able to think straight about this.

Next, I have had nearly every symptom you are describing.  You know what is odd...when I feel well...I speak just fine.  When I feel like something is wrong...I don't.  Our brains are very powerful things and they can create any illness under the sun.  I have had speech issues, swallowing issues, shortness of breath everything you have described.  I have had them go on for weeks at a time without relief.  If you search slurred speech here, you will see your story over and over again amongst many anxious people.  In these things take solace.

Now, practically speaking you need to be checked out in order to put this to rest.  I know you are scared to do that, but can it be any worse than what you are experiencing now?  The relief you will get when you get an all clear will be like the weight of the world lifting off your chest.  So, know you are well, stop overanalyzing your speech and it will improve. 
Bookmark and Share
My insight, thoughts, experiences or advice that may be posted in this forum are not meant as a substitution for the advice of your physician.

Offline Rasalhauge

Stressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
First and foremost, thank you all so much for taking the time to adress yet another crazy rambling about how hard my life is (and so on and so forth). I realize that all my symptoms, more or less, could be atributed to anxiety. Iīve had numerous GPs looking in to all and everyone of my symptoms (as well as Dr specializing in Psych.) and they all come to the conclusion that my symptoms fit the profile for "complex anxiolytic symptoms" (I think thatīs what they called it at least). But I have been sooooo focused on my face latelly, and I know for certain that I have started to droop somewhat in my right corner of the mouth. On top of that I have the characteristic development of dents in my upper cheek muscle (in face). These dents has not been there before.

On top of that I have developed what must be weakness. I say must since it is noticeable, in my face that is. It feels as if I have a crooked smile now, and I constantly get saliva in the right corner of my mouth (as if the lip isnīt as "tight" as it used to be). My smile also tends to go higher up on my left facial half, before itīs been the other way around.

I know anxiety could acount for most of my symptoms (the speech, twitching and so on) but surely it canīt cause dents in muscles and weakness in one half of the face?

On the other hand, I realize that the paradox here is that I in my own HA-opinion show tell-tale signs of ALS. BUT, I show tell-tale signs of all three types of ALS, and that canīt be it. As far as I know, you either get one or the other (initially at least).

So my question is; could I have such an insanely intense focus on my face/throat that I actually cause most of the symptoms on my own? Can HA/GAD/Depression/OCD and all that realy mess with my perception of things, and make me see things that might not be there (I.e. denting that could have been there all along) and bring forth new symptoms on a daily basis?

Surely, not even ALS would progress so quickly as this has done (I.e. new symptoms every single day)?
Bookmark and Share

- Dante Alighieri

Offline ashmaster

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Though I have not had symptoms that you describe, I have had similar. I think that its entirely possible that you are blowing things our of proportion. You talk about indentation of your face, everyone's face is different, you could have always had this. If you are thin it could just be how your bones are structured.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Iskallos

• Chicken Chaser
  • Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
I can't really relate with the slurring but I know that anxiety can cause it, stumbling on words and I however have been friends for a while. I actually started thinking I had ALS due to all the twitching and percieved weakness and such and then I had started stumbling on words, I had thought I was slurring too because my mind would focus on the letter s when I said it but I was really speaking normally.

So my question is; could I have such an insanely intense focus on my face/throat that I actually cause most of the symptoms on my own? Can HA/GAD/Depression/OCD and all that realy mess with my perception of things, and make me see things that might not be there (I.e. denting that could have been there all along) and bring forth new symptoms on a daily basis?

Surely, not even ALS would progress so quickly as this has done (I.e. new symptoms every single day)?

Definitely, I've been noticing things that have probably always happened/been there all the time for the past few months. Hell, I thought I had thyroid cancer or some such nonsense because my hands would wrinkle in the shower.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ShawnW

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
First and foremost, thank you all so much for taking the time to adress yet another crazy rambling about how hard my life is (and so on and so forth). I realize that all my symptoms, more or less, could be atributed to anxiety. Iīve had numerous GPs looking in to all and everyone of my symptoms (as well as Dr specializing in Psych.) and they all come to the conclusion that my symptoms fit the profile for "complex anxiolytic symptoms" (I think thatīs what they called it at least). But I have been sooooo focused on my face latelly, and I know for certain that I have started to droop somewhat in my right corner of the mouth. On top of that I have the characteristic development of dents in my upper cheek muscle (in face). These dents has not been there before.

On top of that I have developed what must be weakness. I say must since it is noticeable, in my face that is. It feels as if I have a crooked smile now, and I constantly get saliva in the right corner of my mouth (as if the lip isnīt as "tight" as it used to be). My smile also tends to go higher up on my left facial half, before itīs been the other way around.

I know anxiety could acount for most of my symptoms (the speech, twitching and so on) but surely it canīt cause dents in muscles and weakness in one half of the face?

On the other hand, I realize that the paradox here is that I in my own HA-opinion show tell-tale signs of ALS. BUT, I show tell-tale signs of all three types of ALS, and that canīt be it. As far as I know, you either get one or the other (initially at least).

Brother, my mind has created just about anything I read about or worry about.  Our minds are VERY powerful and can create symptoms at will.  I know this as fact.
Bookmark and Share

Offline etethorpe

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Rasal, I could have written your post.  All of you speech symptoms are exactly what I have been experiencing lately.  It has been very frightening and I find myself speaking less and less because it is so obvious that I am slurring and messing all my words up, both in pronouncing and getting the right word out.  I am familiar with bulbar ALS and that is what I am afraid I have.  Or dementia.  Neither one is something I want. 

Have you taken any of the on-line ALS tests?  This has helped me.  I can pretty much pass them.  I think even if you have the bulbar type you would still have problems with the tests such as walking on your heels.  Your doctors have assured you that you are fine, so take rest in that.  The mind can do very powerful things.  I think the trick is to somehow get it to do powerfully posititve things rather than powerfully negative things.
Bookmark and Share

Offline thenomnomnomicon

• Rec's: 9
    • Poke This Member
Remembered one last thing. Sorry, hijacking thread because I cap'd PMs, but it's still relevant to this discussion.

@Shawn (or any one): One of my feet is more ticklish than the other. Is this normal?
Bookmark and Share
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh

Offline ShawnW

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Remembered one last thing. Sorry, hijacking thread because I cap'd PMs, but it's still relevant to this discussion.

@Shawn (or any one): One of my feet is more ticklish than the other. Is this normal?

lol...ok you win the award for craziest question of the day.  :)  Honestly, I have no idea.  But, I would imagine that would be a normal variant and certainly wouldn't have anything to do with ***.
Bookmark and Share

Offline thenomnomnomicon

• Rec's: 9
    • Poke This Member
I even made a joke about posting that to a friend before submitting it.  :laugh3:
Bookmark and Share
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh

Tags: