Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Health anxiety  (Read 64 times)

Offline Crzy_Diamnd

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Health anxiety
« on: June 04, 2014, 06:48:23 PM »
To make a long story short...I just had an echocardiogram done because I was having palpitations. It showed a very, very mild case of stiffness. My doctor was not concerned at all and basically said that if I live a clean lifestyle with moderate exercise, she totally expects the dysfunction to correct itself. This sent me into a downward spiral. I have anxiety issues and have for quite sometime now. My father died early(which I think is contributing to this whole thing)of Agent orange lung cancer. He was 53. At the age of 30, I watched him take his last breath. Definitely caused some issues for me. So after I got thebdiagnosis, my world just crumbled. I got on google and before I knew it, I was going to die soon. I spent a lot of time online just looking for some good information about the type of dysfunction I had and basically, it was all morbid. I sought constant reassurance from my doctor that everything was okay, to the point of her calling me and asking me to stop calling the office(she knows my anxiety so it was a light conversation). I started to feel a little better and kept doing research. I then started having some breathing issues. I would(and still have) this incessant need to take a deep breath. Most of the time I can't catch the breath, which causes me more anxiety. I went back to the doctor and had some more tests run(EKG, chest Xray, O2 saturation test while sleeping, Spirometer, all of which were normal). I felt a little better after that until I got back online and saw that the symptom I have could be copd or pulmonary fibrosis. Even though I just had all of the tests run, I still feel as if I am sick, which causes more anxiety and makes the breathing worse. I run 5 miles daily 5 days a week with no issues. I just can't stop thinking about having a terminal disease and I know that it is all in my head and is causing my symptoms to be worse. Everytime I get on google, I can't help but lookup the diseases just to find any website that will tell me that I don't have the disease, even though my doctor just told me that I was fine. Has anybody ever experienced this?
Bookmark and Share

Offline crikee57

• Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 68
  • Mood: Sleepy
    Sleepy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Health anxiety
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 03:34:38 AM »
Hi Crzy_Diamnd,

Welcome to the forum.  It is great to have you as a member.  This is a wonderful place to get advice and support from people going through similar situations.  The members here are very helpful. It is nice to know we are not alone.  Family history and the fears that engenders along with googling symptoms contribute greatly to health anxiety.  We have to accept that google is not a doctor and  a lot of what ends up coming up in a search are often the worst possible outcomes and has nothing to do with us.  We need to trust in our doctors and know that they are the ones who have the results and know our history.  Let them guide you and not google.  I work hard to never google my symptoms anymore.  It never helps.

Feel free to explore the forum.  There are lots of useful topics to read.  Feel free to post and ask questions.  If you have specific concerns or questions start a topic in the appropriate section to get the best feedback. There is also a chat room for members 18 years and older that you can access once you have made three meaningful posts in the forum. 

Again welcome to our community.
Bookmark and Share
It's not what's in front of us that stops us.  It's what's inside that holds us back.