Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: please respond - hair loss  (Read 152 times)

Offline JBD02

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
please respond - hair loss
« on: June 04, 2014, 04:55:47 PM »
Hi. I posted a few days ago with no responses. I'm a 37 y/o female. Hopefully, I'm not the only one with this preoccupation. I definitely have been suffering with HA for about 6 months. Lately, I've been obsessed about hair loss. I count the number of hairs that fall when brushing & I'm afraid to wash my hair. I have long, healthy hair and I'm totally scared and obsessed. I keep looking at other women's hair line to see how mine measures up. Does anyone else have this?
Bookmark and Share

Offline xxAmyxx

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: please respond - hair loss
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 05:04:50 PM »
I do! I'm a 37 y/o female too! I'm so sensitive to meds, a lot of them cause me to shed, along with STRESS. In the beginning of April I was shedding like CRAZY which makes me even more stressed. I believe it was b/c of a new med I was taking or b/c we had moved 2 months prior (extra STRESS). The hair loss was always on my mind, but I tried to avoid over brushing my hair and went to washing it every 3 days instead of 2 to avoid seeing it in my hands in the shower. Anyway, I lowered my meds and started taking biotin along with using special shampoos for hair loss. The extra shedding finally stopped after a few weeks and I see tons of new growth. I feel your pain!
Bookmark and Share

Offline CarrieAnn

• Rec's: 13
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 05:14:03 PM »
Eating foods rich in zinc is good for stopping hair loss.
Bookmark and Share

Offline LilMousey

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 06:35:27 PM »
My hair started shedding as well a few years ago, due to a rather strict diet that includes no red meat. I didn't go to the doctor, but I'm pretty convinced I was iron deficient. I took B12 vitamin and supplements and everything. It did take quite a while for my hair to stop falling out, maybe 5 months or so. Maybe look into iron supplements?
Bookmark and Share

Offline janehathaway

• Rec's: 3
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 10:59:07 PM »
I'm 48 and experienced major hair loss several years ago.  Mine was due to low iron (have your ferritin level checked).  It's actually pretty common starting around 37 and getting worse closer to age 50.  Good luck!
Bookmark and Share

Online gaucho16

• gaucho
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 03:56:48 AM »
I had a lot of hair loss from thyroid problems. I was losing a ton of hair. Like handfuls. I didn't need to count to know I was losing a lot that's how bad it was. I am sure you are fine.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Liana

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Loved
    Loved
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2014, 07:37:22 AM »
Hi there.  I've been a hairstylist for almost 20 years.  Of course there are many reasons for hair loss, medication, thyroid, low iron, genetics... Stress is a bad one. But hopefully this will be a positive reminder for you.  An average human can shed 100 and even up to 500 hairs a day NORMALLY.  Depending on the time of year especially, and as a woman, depending on the time of the month.  If you have long hair, each hair shed can actually appear to be more than just one if it's all scrunched up on the shower floor or in a brush.

Also, your hair line is completely unique to you.  Comparing yours with another woman's will have no affect.  Also, not washing your hair will create a build up on your scalp which causes weight at the root of the hair and can cause it to fall out sooner than normal.  Shampoo gently with a good sulfate free, and paraben free shampoo, and comb through gently afterwards.  The less you wash the more hair you'll see come out when you do... that is normal

I'm sorry that you are experiencing this fear.  Please be reassured that what you're experiencing is probably just normal shedding as it doesn't sound like you have apparent thinning.  <3
Bookmark and Share

Offline JBD02

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2014, 09:34:29 AM »
Thank you all for your reassurance. Deep down, I do feel like I'm being hyper-vigilant about it, but every hair i see on the floor sends me into a full blown panic. I did purchase some good shampoo and a biotin supplement. Thanks again!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: