Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: skin cancer question  (Read 89 times)

Offline daviezmom

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
skin cancer question
« on: June 04, 2014, 09:08:24 AM »
Hey all! 
This is about my husband, but I'm the one freaking out :)

He's outside all the time and hardly puts sunscreen on.  He hasn't been to the derm in almost 2 years.  At his last visit he was told there was a spot on his back that needed to be watched.  After that he was real good about sunscreen for a while but has since slacked off.  Now I've got major anxiety about this spot.  I haven't looked at it yet to see any changes, but I did schedule him a checkup with the derm.  However he can't get in until July 21. 
My question is, how long does it take skin cancer to form and get to the point that it's life threatening?  I know most skin cancers aren't melanoma, but it always could be. If one were to receive a skin cancer diagnosis, it's not always a death sentence, right?  I'm just scared nearly 2 months is too long to wait.

I'm going to start forcing the sunscreen.  I may try to see if there's another derm around that could get him in sooner.
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 64
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
Re: skin cancer question
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 09:42:07 AM »
I have been told that it depends on the type of skin cancer, which determines how
fast it grows or when it becomes more dangerous.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 36
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: skin cancer question
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 05:37:56 AM »
It takes about a year or two I think for melanoma to go deep enough to be troublesome.  But if it hasn't changed at all, he's probably fine.  Get it off so you all can stop worrying about it, but likely it won't come back melanoma.

And btw - my uncle had metastatic melanoma nearly 20 years ago, back when it was an automatic death sentence.  He's perfectly healthy now; never had a recurrence.  And this was AGES ago; treatments are even better now.  So even if it is melanoma, it's probably still minor enough to be highly treatable, and even in the worst-case scenario he could be just fine.  No need to panic.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: