I would like to share an “old-timer’s” approach to controlling Panic Attacks without prescription medication my first Panic Attack was 35 years ago. I will try to keep this brief and short, please let me know if you have any questions.
I hated the idea of using any medications, by sharing my story this may help those individual who are suffering from these anxiety disorders a possible alternative to manage without the need to use Psychiatric medications
. Today, I personally use strategic Psychiatric medications at proper dosages, that have allowed me to fully recover and live high quality of life, yet I managed it by myself on my own for 7 years w/o taking any psychiatric medications.Background:
- First panic attack in early 1979 – quickly accelerated into 5-6 panic attacks per day.
- Forced to drop out of college, lost my job, lost my romantic relationships, My life as I knew it was over! I even blamed God!
- Phobias became the norm – Fear of driving, getting out of the house, restaurants, elevators, people – we now call this agoraphobia.1st Breakthrough:
- 1983, After all medical treatment failed to diagnose my problem I came across - The Anxiety Disease, David Sheehan
- This was book that actually made me aware that it was a not a psychological problem but a chemical brain dysfunction – the knowledge alone, empowered me to use Self-hypnosis, early forms CBT therapy, NLP phobia cures and other forms of self-therapy. 2nd Breakthrough:
- 1986: I kept researching – gaining more control of my life…. The next most important find: “Phobia Free: Medical Breakthrough Linking 90% of all Phobias and Panic Attack to a Hidden Physical Problem, Harold Levinson, M.D.
- Author's theory- disorder caused by cerebellar-vestibular system , AKA - "the inner ear." - could be treated by motion sickness meds
- I started using all the various OTC motion sickness pills that dramatically lowered my Panic Attacks and OCD levels within days!
- My panic attacks decreased from 5-6 per day to 1-2 per day. The INTENSITY of the panic attacks quickly decreased from my high levels of 9-10 full blown attacks to manageable 4-7 levels. Enough, to make a breakthrough to get out of the house, drive on the freeway and get a job and start my journey to recovery without any Prescription drugs or medical therapy.Solution: to Managing my DisorderCombining these motion sickness medications (Bonine) with my own mental therapy of Self-hypnosis, NLP techniques, and new CBT behavior workbooks I was now on my way out of the “Dark Abyss of this Panic/Anxiety Disorder"Perspective:
This was in 1986 – before the vast majority of general doctors did not this disorder existed; only a selected group of psychiatrists knew about this disorder.
- 1980: panic disorder was first officially recognized with the publication of the American Psychiatric Association's Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (3rd edition, DSM-III)
- 1988 - The first SRI medication, fluoxetine (Prozac), is introduced in the United States. years later it would be approved for panic disorder and then OCD.
- 1991 - The most frequently prescribed benzodiazepines used for Panic Disorder are Alprazolam (Xanax), Diazepam (Valium), Clorazepate (Tranxene), Lorazepam (Ativan),
- 1992 - Zoloft [sertraline] is introduced in the United States
- 1993 - Paxil [paroxetine] is introduced in the United States
References: http://anxiety-panic.com/history/h-main.htm Closing Thoughts:
We are now in 2014, it is has now been 35 years since my first Panic Attack - with the great advances in technology of sharing this disorder with others and advances in medications and neurological research, no one should suffer needlessly – with have so many options and new studies in natural Omega-3 supplements are bringing yet future hopes and solutions.
Thank you for allowing me to share… If you would like to know any specifics about dosages, or any questions please feel free to contact me. May God Bless You with great physical and mental health !