Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: sore muscle  (Read 58 times)

Offline doug65

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
sore muscle
« on: June 03, 2014, 07:23:52 AM »
I find myself burping frequently.  I know I hyperventilate and swallow a lot of air, I try to be conscious of it but it still happens.  Anyhow, I feel like a muscle at the top of my stomach and below my sternum has been tense/knotted and I think excessive burping has exasperated this feeling.  I don't feel nauseous or anything, just uncomfortable and I force myself to burp for some relief.    I'm thinking I've put myself in a vicious circle by trying to get relief and at the same time over using certain muscles and then my HA kicks in.  Thoughts?
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety happens at the subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state.  - AnxietyZone member Sixpack

Offline doug65

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: sore muscle
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 08:19:37 AM »
I think I found my answer from this thread:
http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.phptopic,80521.msg453602.html#msg453602

I get it too, but I also know exactly whats going on. There's this big nerve, the Vagus nerve. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4b/Gray793.png This is the route through your body it takes. Notice that it goes to your throat,  stomach, lungs and your heart. This is important.

What happens is you get upset. this upsets your stomach, and causes some acid reflux. because of the size of the nerve, it can refer sensation to other areas. Most people who get these issues won't have chest problems because they don't have anxiety. Sadly, those of us with anxiety have highly sensitive sympathetic nervous systems - which is the exact system the vagus nerve regulates. It lowers your heart rate - this is its purpose, and is completely normal.

But it gives us odd chest sensations. This triggers anxiety. So you tense up (you wont notice youre doing this) your upper body. This creates more stomach problems and makes your chest wall muscles sore. Then it loops and causes itself to worsen until the entire system is just exhausted.

I know some folks have reccomended changing your diet or taking medicine. This, however, is not necessary. Because in the end, the cause is anxiety and a negative reaction to the sensations it causes. The food can trigger it, yes, but its the anxiety that must be treated. And the one thing you can do to make sure your anxiety is never resolved, is to avoid the situations that make you uncomfortable. You must accept them as false alarms.
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety happens at the subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state.  - AnxietyZone member Sixpack

Tags: stomach symptoms