Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Missed Hearbeats or PVCs while running.... worried.  (Read 217 times)

Offline Aussiejim

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Missed Hearbeats or PVCs while running.... worried.
« on: June 03, 2014, 05:00:56 AM »
Hi All,

So today I decided to get my butt moving and exercise again. It's been a few months and anxiety is a bit better this week. When I was a few minutes into my light run I felt what I thought was a normal heart flutter so I took my pulse at my neck when running. I got thump....thump....thump....thump....not hing....nothing........thump,thump,light thump.......nothing and so on and like every ten or so beats I would get a missed beat or two then a light beat and a pair of quick hard beats.
     Dr google says it's PVCs am I correct. Dr google also says it's normally a benign condition when it occurs at rest but more cause for concern while exercising. My neighbour is a real doctor and I asked him, he says are you short of breath when it happens... WTF hahahahaha I was running . That doesn't help. I got checked over all good, and am on a very long waiting list for stress test but I'd like some opinions while I'm waiting and maybe I can stop thinking I'm gonna die on my next run. Lol.

Oh and apart from that I felt ok. Fitter than I thought I'd be considering I have been lazy for a month.

Jim
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 169
    • Poke This Member
Re: Missed Hearbeats or PVCs while running.... worried.
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 05:24:58 AM »
Dr Google can say exactly what you want to find if you look hard enough. It was your first time out doing some running in a while. Thing is not everybody would stop to check their pulse whilst out running. I went on a long cycle this morning. Not done such a thing in years. Last thing I was thinking about was my heart or my pulse. They are bound to beat that bit faster if we are pumping them. I wouldn't be worried at all. Give it a bit of time. You can monitor yourself over that period of time. We have a lot of members who get PVCs and they live good healthy lives. Not the end of the world. If you are worried talk to your doctor. The real doctor. Not doctor Google.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline DiJoPa

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 08:18:41 PM »
I was told by my physician that EVERYONE experiences missed beats AND extra beats.
So, scratch that off your list of things to worry about.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lunatone

• Rec's: 21
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 10:26:42 AM »
I like to show people this video: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Real-time_MRI_-_Thorax.ogv

Its a real-time MRI of a healthy heart, at resting rate. You'll notice that a couple times, it does exactly what you felt (though not as intense due to it being resting rather than the increased rate you get with exercise.)

Your heart changes its speed from moment to moment, based on demand at the time. This can result in a sensation of skipped beats, when really its just changing speed. If you check your pulse after you stop running, then you'll be checking it at the exact moment where it would begin to chagne speed, since without exertion it no longer needs to run at high speed.
Bookmark and Share

Offline MITRush

• Rec's: 11
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 06:49:34 PM »
Anxiety will actually do this to you, and since you have anxiety, that is probably your culprit.  The missed heartbeats and flutters (which sometimes are accompanied by a coughing sensation) are common with people who've had anxiety for a long time.  Doctor's have explained this as misfiring (or tired, or overactive - take your pick) nerves which are sending erroneous signals throughout your body.  But your heart won't let you down.  The exercise will actually help with the heart flutters.  If you jog/ run consistently it will almost completely eradicate them.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: