Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Nobody offering any advice  (Read 178 times)

Offline Jonnysmith

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Nobody offering any advice
« on: June 03, 2014, 01:24:32 AM »
I keep posting about my seizure and epilepsy fears but need some advice from people who the same experience or fear. I am getting these frequent episodes of deja vu with spaced out feelings plus I get this intense episode of fear washes over me which makes my vision go darker and cloudier. I am so worried sick reading about epileosy and seizures that my symptoms match 100%. Had tests which came back clear but I have been told that epilepsy can start at any age with no cause. I am so frightened? Can anyone give me some advice?
Bookmark and Share

Offline IAMHEALTHY

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Nobody offering any advice
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 01:41:15 AM »
I wish I could op

How long have you had these episodes?

Im willing to bet that with time it will pass

Also have you had a brain MRI?

I believe youll be fine :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jonnysmith

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 01:52:33 AM »
I have had these episodes on and off for about 12 months now possibly longer. Yeah had an EEG and MRI all came back clear but heard that with epileosy a lot of the time tests are clear. I just can't shrug off my episodes which are increasing and my fear is becoming worse waiting for the seizure to happen all the time.
Bookmark and Share

Offline thenomnomnomicon

• Rec's: 9
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 10:37:58 AM »
Learn to distinguish subjectivity from objectivity. As a hypochondriac your subjective experience is not at all reliable (trust me; conversion-somatoform disorder). Until you're having very evident signs of epilepsy, you don't have epilepsy.
Bookmark and Share
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh

Offline Sleepingbear

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 11:24:03 AM »
One thing I've learned through my 52 years of living, and issues with intermittent exacerbation of anxiety, is that someone out there, somewhere, has experienced something similar.   Like you, I have a fear of having a seizure, and as a nurse, I've seen a lot of them and also know they're manageable and with everything else normal, epilepsy is just a manageable condition.  The bizarre physical and psychological manifestations of anxiety have made me wonder if I will have one , too,   The déjà vu, derealization, spacey, vague feelings that come with anxiety make you feel like you're not in control of your body and that something else is wrong.  At some point we have to trust someone and the results of the tests.  Trust me, I know this is a tall order!   Maybe working on this in CBT would be helpful for you.  Wishing you peace. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline vardnas

• Rec's: 98
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2014, 11:37:36 AM »
To be fair, I've tried to give you some advice. But I feel like maybe it wasn't what you wanted to hear.

I'll say the same thing I did before. If you TRULY feel like you are about to develop epilepsy, despite negative test results, then there's nothing you can do. I mean, is there? You're essentially saying that despite a clear MRI and EEG, you still feel as if epilepsy is imminent. And if that's truly the case, you're going to have to wait until your first "episode" before doctors will begin any type of treatment.

But I agree with the previous poster. You're by nature health anxious—and you're engaging in negative reinforcement behaviors (reading epilepsy boards, for one) and then interpreting your symptoms through the lens of "this must be epilepsy." No wonder you're so scared. Just remember, everything you're experiencing can be attributed to anxiety and surges in adrenaline; a much more likely cause.

I think what will probably happen, is that eventually, enough time will pass without a seizure happening, that you'll start to question your certainty on this matter.
Bookmark and Share
In case anyone is still confused:  googling your symptoms will cause you to remain in a state of extreme anxiety. Stepping away from the internet is the first step toward lasting peace.

Offline Jonnysmith

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2014, 01:34:02 PM »
Hi vardnas I really do appreciate your advice I really can't thank you enough for your advice. The reason I am like this is because people I speak to who suffer anxiety don't get my symptoms. These symptoms happen so much and so frequent it's like everything around me goes so dream like and my vision goes darker plus I get intense deja vu. I try my nest to avoid epilepsy websites but finding it hard to stop myself. I wish I was told I would never get epilepsy ever but obviously that cannot happen. I know people say the condition is manageable but it is such a fear for me. Do you honestly believe deja vu and these dreamy vision with intense fear can be caused by anxiety because this happens when I am fairly relaxed sometimes and sometimes in my sleep
Bookmark and Share

Tags: