Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Very scared about a new spot on my skin...  (Read 295 times)

Offline Bulan

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Very scared about a new spot on my skin...
« on: June 02, 2014, 07:47:32 PM »
I'm terribly frightened: I just discovered a new dark brown spot on my skin where there was none before. It seems to have appeared almost overnight, or at least grown very quickly. It's the size of a large pea, and it seems a bit raised.

It's in a private area, and I've never sunbathed in the nude, nor used tanning beds. I'm very light-skinned and easily burn, so for most of my life I've stayed out of the sun.

I've also had pain in my groin area recently, although I can't tell whether my lymph nodes are swollen.

Do new dark brown spots normally appear on people in their 30s? I thought benign spots were a sign of aging.

I will get this checked by a doctor, of course, but I'm terribly frightened and to help me deal with this, I need to know whether I'm experiencing something common...
Bookmark and Share

Offline ShawnW

• Rec's: 27
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Very scared about a new spot on my skin...
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 08:09:18 PM »
I am 40 and get new spots all the time.  I have had several biopsies and all have turned out benign...thank God.
Bookmark and Share
My insight, thoughts, experiences or advice that may be posted in this forum are not meant as a substitution for the advice of your physician.

Want to know how to address your anxiety?
http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php/topic,93402.msg521266.html#msg521266

Offline jilllayy

• Mood: Content
    Content
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 08:37:24 PM »
I had the ugliest looking mole pop up out of nowhere the dr looked at it and said melanoma but it was actually completely benign. No worries youll be fine! Im 25 , 4 biopsy's all normal!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Bulan

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 09:15:26 PM »
I am 40 and get new spots all the time.  I have had several biopsies and all have turned out benign...thank God.
Thank you for sharing your experience, ShawnW!

Was there a time in your life when this trend began? Or has your skin been changing since you were a child? I have many moles, but I don't remember getting new ones until last year. I'm 36, and I noticed a similar spot on my face, specifically on my temple just behind the hairline, appear suddenly.

It's light brown, and also about the size of a large pea. The dermatologist looked closely but isn't worried about that one.

Also, what do your spots look like?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Bulan

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 09:17:44 PM »
I had the ugliest looking mole pop up out of nowhere the dr looked at it and said melanoma but it was actually completely benign. No worries youll be fine! Im 25 , 4 biopsy's all normal!
Thanks so much for this post, jilllayy! What did your spot look like?

It must've been terrifying to hear the doctor use the word melanoma though. How did you deal with that?

Also, have you always had spots appear out of nowhere? Or did it start after a certain age?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Bulan

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 09:20:34 PM »
I had my first baby in 2012, and I've had a few skin changes after that: one skin-coloured growth that disappeared after several months, then the brown spot that appeared on my temple. Now this.

Does anyone know if pregnancy sparks skin changes like this?
Bookmark and Share

Offline ShawnW

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2014, 09:41:47 PM »
Thank you for sharing your experience, ShawnW!

Was there a time in your life when this trend began? Or has your skin been changing since you were a child? I have many moles, but I don't remember getting new ones until last year. I'm 36, and I noticed a similar spot on my face, specifically on my temple just behind the hairline, appear suddenly.

It's light brown, and also about the size of a large pea. The dermatologist looked closely but isn't worried about that one.

Also, what do your spots look like?
  Seems to worsen as I age.  I think they pop up overnight.
Bookmark and Share
My insight, thoughts, experiences or advice that may be posted in this forum are not meant as a substitution for the advice of your physician.

Offline Bulan

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2014, 09:47:46 PM »
Exactly, I'd heard about 'age spots,' but not necessarily ones that begin in one's 30s...

Do your spots look like regular moles? I mean, symmetrical, evenly-coloured, etc.? Or do they have abnormal borders, or any other more sinister features?
Bookmark and Share

Offline ShawnW

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2014, 10:12:19 PM »
Exactly, I'd heard about 'age spots,' but not necessarily ones that begin in one's 30s...

Do your spots look like regular moles? I mean, symmetrical, evenly-coloured, etc.? Or do they have abnormal borders, or any other more sinister features?
  All sorts including halo moles, actinic keratosis, and a mole the dermatologist said looked suspicious.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Bulan

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2014, 12:18:06 AM »
Thanks, Shawn. Were any of your spots raised?

I'm so afraid... Can anyone give me any more feedback about this? I need to talk about this, please...
Bookmark and Share

Offline Bulan

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2014, 02:07:15 AM »
Also, does anyone know what percentage of new moles are benign vs. cancerous?
Bookmark and Share

Offline ShawnW

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2014, 10:42:42 AM »
Thanks, Shawn. Were any of your spots raised?

I'm so afraid... Can anyone give me any more feedback about this? I need to talk about this, please...

Yes.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jonesle

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2014, 01:29:09 PM »
Bulan :) glad I'm not the only one on both forums! hope you're feeling reassured now? Xx
Bookmark and Share

Offline jilllayy

• Mood: Content
    Content
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2014, 05:11:46 PM »
Bulan!

my mole actually had all the characteristics to the skin cancer rule "abcde" it was Assymetric, did not have a normal Border, its Color was a little darker, the Diameter of my mole was 6mm by 5mm which is considered large, and it was slightly Elevated and seemed to grow quickly from being a normal mole out of nowhere. It was also sensitive to touch especially when my shirt rubbed it. that is what made me get it checked out. the dr looked at it under her microscope and then looked at me with these sad eyes like i was going to die. It was the scariest two weeks of my life! im not a moley person i have maybe less than 20 all over the body or if i have more they are small. i had a black looking one on the bottom of my foot. the color scared me more than anything. it wasnt that big but it did have an irregular border. again completely normal. Pregnancy does make you sprout more moles. i got more while pregnant. also the sun causes some benign moles as well.

i wouldnt worry much about it at all.
Bookmark and Share