Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Leg pain and pregnant  (Read 80 times)

Offline MilSpouse

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Leg pain and pregnant
« on: June 02, 2014, 07:38:08 PM »
I really hoped that I wouldn't end up back here, because the past couple months have been very smooth sailing anxiety-wise, but it is once again troubling me :( I'm about 4 months pregnant, and over the past week, have developed a very irritating pain from knee to ankle in my left leg. The pain seems to flare up, then go back down again, and it seems to move around - sometimes it's in the back of my calf muscle, sometimes along my shin, sometimes in my ankle and sometimes in my knee. I got really worried about a blood clot (and panicked after reading a story from another pregnant woman who had a blood clot - dumb move) because I know the risk is higher during pregnancy, so I went to see my GP. He was not concerned because there was no swelling or discoloration, and my pain wasn't constant or getting worse, so he didn't even bother to run any tests or do an ultrasound. I trust my doctor, I know that what he said is probably true, and logically it all makes sense, but I keep constantly checking my leg for fear it WILL start swelling or I'll find discoloration or something else! I'm not taking anything because of the pregnancy, and I know my anxiety has to be making it worse. Does anyone have any advice here?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Mom21

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Leg pain and pregnant
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 08:03:46 PM »
I'm pregnant too and have had leg pain off and on throughout my pregnancy. It could be from how the baby is laying. Also, in the past I've had leg and ankle pain like you. My doctor said since it wasn't constant and it traveled to different places it was nothing to worry about. It soon went away. Once I was also low on potassium. You can see there are many things that could cause your problem. If you had a blood clot you would know it and be in a lot of pain.
Bookmark and Share

Offline bpadilla49

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 08:53:11 PM »
Hello ladies! I'm a doula - kind of like a midwife, but not.

Leg pain is normal and common in pregnancy. You've got twice the amount of blood pumping through your veins, and your legs are trying hard to support that, and your ever growing bellies! Muscle cramps/tension (which can cause "moving" pain) is sooooooooooooooooooooo common. Make sure to "up" your daily fluid intake. You should be drinking about a gallon of water a day (phew! Stay close to a bathroom!). Your doctor is right, if there is any swelling, go straight to the ER or L&D....but let me tell you - you will NOTICE the swelling. It won't be subtle. It won't be "elephant-status" either - but you'll notice it - ESPECIALLY since you have HA. Not to worry. It's not common in pregnancies. If you're scared, skip the doctor and go to the ER or L&D - they'll do an ultrasound at the hospital.

When I was pregnant with my first, I had an ultrasound on both legs because when I bent my feet upwards towards my head (if you're laying down), I felt pain in my calf. My doctor was actually concerned with that symptom, even though I didn't have any swelling or discoloration. But I had no blood clot. Nothing. Nada. Just muscle pain. Which, as previously stated, is very common.

Enjoy your pregnancies! Try taking a warm (not hot!) bath - that might help to relax your muscles. And if you have the extra money - get a prenatal massage - they'll work on your legs too  :bigsmile:
Bookmark and Share

Offline MilSpouse

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 09:23:19 PM »
Thank you both so much - very reassuring. Again, it's so silly because I know my doctor is smart and knows what he's talking about, but the anxiety makes it really hard to get past the worries! It's nice to hear from those who have actually "been there, felt that" though. Everyone keeps telling me that pregnancy is just full of "fun" new sensations, so I hope that I can get past the panic and just enjoy the ride! Up to this point, it's been great and (relatively) anxiety-free, so I hope that the next few months can go the same way.
Bookmark and Share