Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Lexapro (Day 3)  (Read 1450 times)

Offline dbirm77

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Exhausted
    Exhausted
    • Poke This Member
Re: Lexapro (Day 3)
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2014, 12:55:24 PM »
Thanks for the feedback. It's tough because apparently it differs greatly how long the meds take to 'kick in' for each person. You make a good point though...I've still got anxiety whether I stop or keep taking it, might as well go for the 'gold'. I feel like the panic attacks have decreased but the dizziness, disoriented feelings are soooo strong. Haven't yet found a way to accept those little buggers. Hopefully, I will get some relief.

Thanks again,

Drew
Bookmark and Share
Expect.....anxiety to come.
Accept.....anxiety and all it's sensations.
Ask.........anxiety for more!

Rinse and repeat!

Offline BusuB

• Poke This Member
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2014, 01:28:18 PM »
Hi dbirm, hang in there.  I'm on a med trial myself so we can hang together.

My experience with lex was that it will be pretty inconsistent for the first couple months but will settle into a groove eventually.  It was good for my anxiety in some respects but made me too apathetic to continue.  But don't worry about that, my experience is not the norm.  Good luck on your journey.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Snoopy10

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2014, 04:31:10 PM »
dbirm77 - one more comment from me, the good news is that for me -- on Lexapro, I was sort of just getting by for awhile (with the help of klonipin, etc) and one day I realized I felt better.  I stopped feeling sick to my stomach and I wasn't disoriented.  I went to work and got on a conference call and didn't have sweat collecting in all sorts of places (one of my previously barely manageable anxiety triggers).  It just has turned the corner and I was feeling better.  So just hang in there and try your best to soldier on with the way you are feeling now, it does change! 
Bookmark and Share

Offline comoso

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2014, 04:44:26 PM »
Snoopy, how many weeks in was that. 

I'm 9 weeks on zoloft.  WhileI have good days I still have considerable anxiety other days as well.  I definitely haven't experienced a kick in, kind of just a slow changing for the better. 

I'm also using .5 mg klonopin per day which I want off of and that's a major reason I'm waiting on the SSRI to work.  When yours started working were you off the kpin pretty quickly?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Snoopy10

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2014, 09:47:53 AM »
Comoso, my situation was a bit different because I was switching from Cymbalta to Lexapro, so I was all whacked out for at least a month.  But with Lexapro I would say 2 months, maybe even 3, until I noticed a change. I am sure it happened gradually but it wasn't until I faced a more challenging moment and had a better reaction that I could really say that it was doing something.

I am not off the Klonopin though. I have been on and off it for 20 years.  I am stable on .75mg a day but if I need more I take it. It's just a choice I made that I am okay relying on it. But before Lexapro I was taking 1.5 a day and I cut back to .75 within about 2 months of feeling better.   

.5 isn't very much (that you are on),  what are your concerns with being on it?
Bookmark and Share

Offline dbirm77

Exhausted
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2014, 07:57:14 AM »
Latest update,

Today is day 31 (day 24 since I began taking a theraputic dose) and my anxiety remains inconsistant. There are good moments and really tough ones, I am able to function for the most part but have swings of anxiety daily. I guess thats what I was hoping would change. The meds are still making me nauseated but the headaches have mostly gone. I plan to continue the meds, along with the CBT therapy and am hopefull that my life will resemble it's old self again soon.

Thanks,

Drew
Bookmark and Share

Rinse and repeat!

Offline insights

• Rec's: 105
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2014, 08:08:29 AM »
Today is day 31 (day 24 since I began taking a theraputic dose) and my anxiety remains inconsistant. There are good moments and really tough ones, I am able to function for the most part but have swings of anxiety daily. I guess thats what I was hoping would change.

It is still early days, Drew. It typically takes 3-12 weeks from when you begin taking a therapeutic dose for an antidepressant to kick-in and you're only at 3.5 weeks. The fact you are having some good periods is encouraging. It suggests the med is capable of making a difference even if the brain changes it's driving are not yet able to sustain it for long.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline dbirm77

Exhausted
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2014, 12:50:20 PM »
Almost 5 week in (4 since beginning a theraputic dose) and faced really high anxiety levels over the past few days. Trying so hard to be patient because the Lexapro track record is strong...but it can be so hard. I see my doctor this afternoon for a check up. Still working with my therapist too. I could really use a bit of relief, hopefully it's on the way.

Good luck to everyone struggling!

Drew
Bookmark and Share

Rinse and repeat!

Offline insights

• Rec's: 105
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2014, 05:08:12 PM »
Almost 5 week in (4 since beginning a theraputic dose) and faced really high anxiety levels over the past few days. Trying so hard to be patient because the Lexapro track record is strong...but it can be so hard. I see my doctor this afternoon for a check up.

Ask your doctor to prescribe hydroxyzine, a antihistamine with anti anxiety properties to help ease the anxiety until Lexapro kicks-in.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline Snoopy10

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2014, 09:42:39 AM »
Hi dbirm77, how are things going? I know Lexapro start up is frustrating, but it does seem to work in the end. Also I noticed when I change doses that the start up effects are not as bad as the original start up effects. They only last for a few (2?) weeks versus months.

I agree with Insights that maybe your doctor can prescribe something else to get you through the transition. Hang in there!
Bookmark and Share

Offline dbirm77

Exhausted
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2014, 03:53:29 PM »
Had a good few days with relatively low levels of anxiety. Today has been a little rough, but there will always be some tough days, I suppose. The medication is working but it is a slow process...but like anything else, it takes patience.
Bookmark and Share

Rinse and repeat!

Offline Snoopy10

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2014, 08:47:27 AM »
Hi dbirm77- thanks for the update, a few good days sounds encouraging. It's sounds like you are saying you are feeling the medication is working, hang in there!
Bookmark and Share

Offline dbirm77

Exhausted
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2014, 07:01:35 AM »
After almost 2 months, Lexapro proved inconsistent for me. I was nauseous most days, got fairly frequent headaches, and never really found relief. I have just been prescribed its cousin drug, Celexa. I hope that this slightly different formula can provide a better form of relief. I never thought I would take medication...and certainly never thought I would have to search for the 'right' one but if something can help I now realize that (for me) it doesn't make sense to not try.
Bookmark and Share

Rinse and repeat!

Offline Habibti531

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2014, 06:51:30 PM »
I'm a week into lexapro but my dr paired it with Xanax until it can take full effect.. If I skip a Xanax  i do notice it's helping on its own.. My levels of anxiety are definitely lower than before but I know it can take up to two weeks to fully start working.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Snoopy10

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2014, 07:41:45 AM »
Dbirm77 keep us posted on the Celexa, I will be curious to learn how that one works out for you. I have a friend on Celexa for depression and it works great for her.
Bookmark and Share