Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: Lexapro (Day 3)  (Read 1152 times)

Offline dbirm77

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Exhausted
    Exhausted
    • Poke This Member
Lexapro (Day 3)
« on: June 02, 2014, 04:11:11 PM »
After battling anxiety (GAD & PD) on and off for 5 years now, I have decided to give medication a try (Lexapro). I fought the idea of using meds for so long but wanted to leave no stone unturned in my quest for an anxiety-free life. I have also taken up CBT therapy again...or will shortly when I have my first appointment on Wednesday.
I've only been on the meds for 3 days but am feeling higher levels of anxiety and am having a very hard time concentrating.
Can anyone share their personal experience with Lexapro and how well it did/or did not help them?
I am particularly interested in which anxiety symptoms it was able to positiviely affect for you.

Thanks.
Bookmark and Share
Expect.....anxiety to come.
Accept.....anxiety and all it's sensations.
Ask.........anxiety for more!

Rinse and repeat!

Offline Never-Quit

• Pay It Forward ! and Be a Blessing to others !
  • Rec's: 9
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Overcomer by God's Grace- Panic/Anxiety/OCD
    • Poke This Member
Re: Lexapro (Day 3)
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 04:51:17 PM »
Hi DBirm - Perfectly normal response to Lexapro and Celexa - Especially since you taken Courage and The Risk to actually jump into trying medication after 5 years!

My experience has been very positive for Lexapro and Celexa (they are both very similar) - and they were the most gentle and easiest on of the meds. I used. 

Once you get past day 7 and 15 - you should feel better - until then it is normal - until your body adapts to the medication.

Many of my family members and friends have also used it with a much success as their first medication - and also I noticed the effects of Lexapro in only 2 weeks - where it actually would take 30-60 days for Prozac or Paxil  to feel the medication working...

Just hang in there - and give Lexapro some time to do its magic...   :action-smiley-065:

Hope this helps! 
Bookmark and Share
Never, never, never give up. -Winston Churchill

“You can’t live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you."   ~ John Wooden

Online worldbeat99

• Rec's: 11
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 06:27:58 PM »
Dbirm, I am thinking of looking into Lexapro.  So I will follow your posts with interest.  Good luck.
Bookmark and Share

Offline dbirm77

Exhausted
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 06:40:53 PM »
Thanks for the insight. I was surprised at how strong my anxiety got since I started but it seems like people agree that it gets worse before it gets better.
Bookmark and Share

Rinse and repeat!

Offline dbirm77

Exhausted
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 01:43:06 PM »
Day 6:I've now ben on Lexapro for just under a week and unfortunately still feel very anxious and nauseous. It has also seems to intensify those 'dreadful' feelings that anxiety can bring.(e.g.  Fearing the worst, thinking I will never find relief) I am also experiences emotional reactions to thoughts (even happy ones), which wasn't really an issue before.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Drew
Bookmark and Share

Rinse and repeat!

Online MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 21
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 02:59:24 PM »
Hi Drew...  My name is Chuck and I am one of the Global Moderators here on Anxiety Zone.

I am on Celexa (Citalopram), which is the sister drug to Lexapro.  I have been on Celexa for a little over six months now, and it has really helped me tremendously.

Both Lexapro and Celexa are in the classification of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRI's).  When one initially starts therapy with a SSRI anti-depressant, serotonin level throughout the body are increased.  In the brain, this often times will actually increase anxiety and/or panic attack.  Over several weeks, the body will adjust to the AD and the increase in serotonin levels, and the anxiety/panic attacks will return to baseline, their level prior to starting medication.

I had a number of unpleasant start-up side effects when I started Celexa.  On day 16-17 into my treatment, those side effects diminished rapidly.

About three weeks into my treatment, I noticed a decrease in the small amount of depression I was having, and also negative thoughts subsided greatly.  My panic attacks also became much less severe.  I didn't really notice a change in my anxiety until around week ten of therapy.  This is not unusual, as anti-depressants take from 3-12 weeks to work, with one seeing degrees of improvement during that time, and beyond.  Anti-depressants are not a quick fix, but in time, they have really helped me.

Drew, I just wanted to add that for Lexapro, 10 mg is considered the lowest therapeutic dose.  Many individuals start off at a lower dose, which helps to keep side effects down, but one needs at least 10 mg for Lexapro for it to work properly.  Maximum dose is 20 mg, although I have heard of individual being on higher dosages.

I hope this information helps you.

The very best to you, Drew!...  Chuck :grinning-smiley-003:
Bookmark and Share

Offline dbirm77

Exhausted
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2014, 07:01:17 PM »
Chuck,

Thanks for sharing your experience.
It's reassuring to know that I am not alone in this.
I was advised to take half of the pill for the first week, however the side effect still came.
I am going to start taking the prescribed dosage and hope that the meds will begin to work their magic.
I'm ok with side effects but to get them and no relief has been a rough experience.

Thanks again.

Drew

Bookmark and Share

Rinse and repeat!

Offline insights

• Rec's: 90
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2014, 09:22:45 PM »
I'm ok with side effects but to get them and no relief has been a rough experience.

Unfortunately, this is the biggest problem with antidepressants, they may produce unpleasant side-effects long before they do anything positive. Worse, many doctors fail to explain this to their patients which sees many of them abandoning the meds within a week or two. According to some studies less than a third take them long enough to achieve a therapeutic effect. Which is a great pity because when they work they can change lives.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline Never-Quit

Happy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2014, 01:44:20 AM »
Day 6:I've now ben on Lexapro for just under a week and unfortunately still feel very anxious and nauseous.

Hi DBirm, I agree with Chuck, and my own experience - it may take up to 15 days or so before these side effects will start to wane.

If it ever gets to the point - you want to discontinue Lexapro-visit your doctor and ask him about putting you on a small dose of a Benzo, until the Lexapro has had a chance to start to work. 

Again, this would be my from own experiences, especially with Prozac (at 1/2 the dose - 10mg) that had much stronger side effects for me than Lexapro when first starting.  To offset the Prozac's vivid dream and extra anxiety - my Doctor put me on a short and small dose of Klonopin which worked great. 

Once the Prozac started to kick in , about 30-40 days... he slowly tapered me off the Klonopin.  I am now on 40 mg of Prozac with excellent results.

Just another option to  keep in mind, Lexapro is very a good and quick acting medication, just need to give it the time to do its magic...

Let us know how you continue to do on Lexapro...

Best wishes, and stay in there!   :yes:
Bookmark and Share

“You can’t live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you."   ~ John Wooden

Offline dbirm77

Exhausted
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2014, 07:47:12 AM »
Thanks. I took the prescribed dose last night (not the half dose my doctor instructed to start) and I actually slept. I woke up a few times but had no racing thoughts keeping me awake which in itself is a huge step forward. I am hopefull that this is a sign that other good things are around the corner. I still feel a bit 'on edge' but am at work today and thinking positve. I truly appreciate the comments. Day # 7 and I'm feeling optimistic....a few days ago this would have never seemed possible. Stay tuned...
Bookmark and Share

Rinse and repeat!

Offline dbirm77

Exhausted
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2014, 08:51:38 AM »
Now more than a week in, I am feeling much better. The first week was rough, I questioned my decsion to begin medication, had many more anxiety symptoms that when I started, and basically bagan to get depressed. However, after giving the medication some time to work I can say that it has already eased many of my least favorite symptoms and I am feeling better with each passing day. I am trying to eat right, exercise, aand continue CBT therapy to insure long lasting change. So far...so good.
Bookmark and Share

Rinse and repeat!

Offline Never-Quit

Happy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2014, 12:17:53 PM »
Keep up the good work DBrim - we are all cheering for you  :sign0111:
Bookmark and Share

Offline isabeau71

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2014, 02:17:28 PM »
I am currently taking Lexapro right now and I experienced exactly what you did. I would wake up in the middle of the night with terrible anxiety, on the verge of an attack, but that was only the first few nights. I have been taking it for I would say 9 or 10 days now and I'm already noticing positive effects. I've heard a lot of good things about Lexapro so it is just temporary. Most of my psychiatrists have said that with any medication, usually it will get worse before it gets better and you have to power through the bad time. The ONLY issue that one of my friends had with it is that after taking it for a month, she felt great, but she forgot one day to take it and she was very very unhappy that day. Just don't forget to take it! As it is with most drugs. I'm in the same boat you are! But I am already feeling a lot better. Good luck!
Bookmark and Share

Offline leah2013

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2014, 01:48:08 PM »
I am on day 9 of lexapro. Took 5 mg for 7 days and increased to 10 mg for 2 days... I have had increased anxiety and took ativan when needed.

How r you doing? I am hoping we both start feeling better soon. Good luck!
Bookmark and Share
Going thru a rough patch! Praying for peace of mind and happiness!!!!

Offline dbirm77

Exhausted
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2014, 02:12:45 PM »
Update:
Overall, I certainly feel better. It feels like the edge has been taken off my anxiety. I still feel it but it remains in the backround for the most part. I am using CBT therapy to try and secure a long-lasting solution. I had some really good days recently, but am struggling a bit today. The side effects hit me hard while I introduced the medication at 5 mg but after day 6, I increased it to 10mg and felt a difference shortly thereafter. I will keep updating so that people on the medication 'fence' have a realistic expectation.

Good luck everyone!

Drew
Bookmark and Share

Rinse and repeat!