Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Literally do not know what to think anymore - lymphoma  (Read 127 times)

Offline Gemmal

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Literally do not know what to think anymore - lymphoma
« on: June 02, 2014, 10:38:13 AM »
I have the most awful awful fear of Hodgkin's disease . This has been going on for well over two years . Stupid google told me that basically the pain I experience with alcohol intake could be nothing other than this disease

I have had the bloods . Examinations and a chest x ray . Got a clean CBC just last week ! Also gained weight no protruding glands just this pain and the occasional itchiness !

Spoke to an oncologists online last night who said " quite frankly if this was cancer you wouldn't be around by now " so there I have a solid statement !!

Why can't I put this out my mind ,  I must be imagining these symptoms and actually producing them through my mind ?!! I just can't get my head round this that it can be done even when I'm relaxed I still get the symptoms .

I need some advice !
Bookmark and Share

Offline vardnas

• Rec's: 94
    • Poke This Member
Re: Literally do not know what to think anymore - lymphoma
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 12:07:49 PM »
Why can't I put this out my mind ,  I must be imagining these symptoms and actually producing them through my mind ?!! I just can't get my head round this that it can be done even when I'm relaxed I still get the symptoms .

Hey Gemmal,

If managing health anxiety was as simple as getting the OK from an oncologist and moving on, there'd be no reason for things like this website to exist. :)

You're not necessarily "imagining symptoms" or producing them with your mind. The symptoms of health anxiety, those that come about and raise our concerns, are the byproducts of overactive stress hormones in the body. They're numerous, and can be quite severe, and they're NOT dependent upon us "feeling" stressed or anxious—that's why you can be symptomatic while still feeling relaxed—stress hits largely on a subconscious level.

If you don't believe me, use some of those googling skills to read up on stress, anxiety, and its effect on the body.

To "feel better" about hogdkin's does not mean getting some kind of definitive word that you don't have it—you'll always doubt the reassurance. It's a matter of working to get your stress down to pre-reactive levels. That means seeking out psychotherapy or CBT; taking a short-term medication; reading self-help books; yoga/meditation/or breathing exercises; changing your diet and exercising more; cultivating hobbies—you don't have to do everything on this list, but whatever works for you. It also means staying away from online health information, and trying not to get reassurance through doctors visits, tests and the like—these things only ramp up anxiety in the long run. 
Bookmark and Share
In case anyone is still confused:  googling your symptoms will cause you to remain in a state of extreme anxiety. Stepping away from the internet is the first step toward lasting peace.

Offline Gemmal

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Literally do not know what to think anymore - lymphoma
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 04:59:55 PM »
Vardnas thank you so much for the response it was really helpful and I'm going to try and do some of these techniques!

Just wish there was an on off button for this anxiety lol !!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: