Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Terrified about family member maybe having cancer  (Read 330 times)

Offline dontfeellikemyself

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Terrified about family member maybe having cancer
« on: June 02, 2014, 03:37:51 AM »
Hi all..I know most of us are always worrying about our own health but do you ever have intense anxiety over the health of a loved one?

Right now I am shaking and sick to my stomach worried that my mother might have lung cancer. She has has a persistent cough for months now. I spoke with her earlier today and she mentioned that she has been unable to sleep for several days due to an intense dry cough. I thought I was going to faint when she told me this. Within the past month she has also complained of occasional bad headaches and dizziness. Sure enough these are all symptoms of lung cancer. My mother is the most important person in the world to me and I fear I am just going to shatter if she is sick. I also did notice when I saw her a few days ago that her face and neck look slightly puffy.

Please weigh in if you can share a similar story--symptoms match up too perfectly and she is of an age where cancer becomes more common. I am so worried right now.
Bookmark and Share

Offline bpadilla49

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Terrified about family member maybe having cancer
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 03:55:59 AM »
Is she on any blood pressure medication? A few years ago, the blood pressure medication that my husband was on for years started reacting adversely in his system. He developed a dry cough that lasted a month or two. I finally convinced him to make a doctor visit, and the doctor said it was the high blood pressure medication he was on. Once he switched him to a different medication, the cough disappeared!
Bookmark and Share

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 03:59:47 AM »
Thanks for the reply,b.. No she is not currently on any medication. I'm feeling an intense sadness and worry thinking of random symptoms she's had for several months too such as occasional chest and back pain. Could it be possible to have all symptoms yet be cancer free??
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 36
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 04:32:48 AM »
Does she have allergies?
Bookmark and Share

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 05:28:03 AM »
Hi Molly--she does have mild seasonal allergies but they never present themselves like this...I can tell she is nervous that the coughing has been interrupting her sleep pattern and I am afraid that she is hiding other symptoms from me because she doesn't want me to worry..

I really am trying to brace myself for the worst case scenario but just wanted to poke in here to see if anyone has similar symptoms or any idea what else the issue could be.
Bookmark and Share

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 07:09:36 AM »
I hate to sound so frantic but symptoms are alarming me more and more. She mentioned that she had a strange pain at the base of one of her toes...when I google lung cancer and foot pain an article comes up about how this can be a rare presentation of the cancer. How likely could it be that not only does she have lung cancer but that it's presenting itself so rarely?! I also  am concerned because her voice is so hoarse/congested sounding. My mother has never been one to go to the doctor for ailments and it's makings sick to think about how long this has been going on for.
Bookmark and Share

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2014, 11:09:24 AM »
Does anyone have experience with clubbing of the nails? Is it true that clubbing raises high suspicion of lung cancer even without diagnosis??
Bookmark and Share

Offline mroussa

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2014, 11:23:51 AM »
Clubbing of the nails is generally associated with lung/pulmonary or sometimes heart function...not lung cancer.

My son has clubbed fingers & has Cystic Fibrosis.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Toasted Butter

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2014, 01:08:43 PM »
Why do we so often obsess about health problem rather than just doing something about it? If she has all these symptoms, she should see the doctor, even if she doesn't have cancer. Encourage her to go; offer to drive her if that's what is needed, if only for your own peace of mind. Also, yes, it is possible to have all these symptoms without having cancer. It's actually more likely not cancer even given all the symptoms. But regardless, its' worth getting her checked out because she is still sick either way. And stop Googling symptoms! Toe pain is so incredibly common it's not worth getting anxious about.
Bookmark and Share

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2014, 03:40:41 PM »
Hi Toasted Butter, thanks for writing in. I know you are right--it just scares me that something could be wrong with her. I think my health anxiety has always stemmed from the fact that people in my family don't often go to doctors. My father passed away from cancer years ago and that  heightened our doctor fear. It's something I need to work on myself , but it's hard to do with the added stress of worrying about someone else's health too. :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline leah2013

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2014, 06:32:16 PM »
I am so sorry you are going thru this with your mom.... I understand. I am going thru something similar with mine. Her WBC is really low and ahs been low for a while... she also has fibromyalgia... I am so scared something is terribly wrong with her and has been misdiagnosed.... she lives out of state so I can't even see her. It's so frustrating...

Please please take your mom to the doctor... is she a smoker? good luck!
Bookmark and Share
Going thru a rough patch! Praying for peace of mind and happiness!!!!

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2014, 08:52:01 PM »
Hi  Leah., thanks for the comment. My mom is not a smoker but I know that lung cancer can hit non smokers as well as spread from other undiagnosed primary cancers. I'm hoping that this is just a severe case of allergies but I also am trying not to be too much in denial of the situation either. I saw her today and I definitely noticed that she had coughing fits several times. In the morning she wakes up with a hoarse voice but it seems to go back to normal as the day progresses.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: