Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Valium question  (Read 128 times)

Offline A_chrislip

• Rec's: 0
  • OMG Bono is my Avatar!
    • Poke This Member
Valium question
« on: June 01, 2014, 09:29:07 PM »
Okay, so, I have a bit of an anxiety about meds and drugs. In fact, since my doctor started me on Zoloft a few days ago, I've been having a fresh wave of panic attack after every dose. She also prescribed me some valium, 10mg. I haven't touched it. Honestly, I'm afraid of it and when I start thinking about taking it, I get even more tense and anxious.
What does it feel like? How potent is it? And how mild/potent would it be if I cut one in half/quarter? I have an interview tomorrow at 3 and would like to be calm and collected for it, but not 'drugged'. Half my real stress is over our money/job situation right now and a whole hell of a lot hinges on getting this job and getting back to work.

Thank you all in advance.
Bookmark and Share
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when my fear is gone I will turn and face fear's path, and only I will remain.

Offline insights

• Rec's: 88
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Valium question
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 01:05:07 AM »
She also prescribed me some valium, 10mg. I haven't touched it. Honestly, I'm afraid of it and when I start thinking about taking it, I get even more tense and anxious.

You have been on diazepam all your life to a small extent. It is a natural component of all foods. True the amounts are much smaller than what is in a 10mg tablet, but without it we would die. So your body is well equipped to handle Valium. And to give you some perspective, before the advent of the high potency Klonopin (clonazepam) epileptics were being prescribed over 200mg of it per day.

What does it feel like? How potent is it?

Very mild, about 1/20th the potency of Klonopin and Xanax (alprozalam).

And how mild/potent would it be if I cut one in half/quarter?

I do suggest you try only 2.5mg initially just to see how it affects you. If you haven't fallen asleep after 2 hours and are still anxious try another 2.5mg. You may not need 10mg, or find it too sedating initially. The sedation tends to be short-lived, usually diminishing after a week or two when taken regularly.
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline A_chrislip

• OMG Bono is my Avatar!
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 09:28:25 AM »
So, if I take 2.5mg an hour or so before my interview I won't be showing up to it seeming 'drugged'?
Bookmark and Share
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when my fear is gone I will turn and face fear's path, and only I will remain.

Offline AncientMelody

• Rec's: 13
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 01:02:34 PM »
I would try your first dose today, not tomorrow. You can't really predict how any medication will affect you before you take it the first time. that way you know what to expect tomorrow and can focus on your interview
Bookmark and Share

Online Never-Quit

• Pay It Forward ! and Be a Blessing to others !
  • Rec's: 6
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Overcomer by God's Grace- Panic/Anxiety/OCD
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 02:10:43 PM »
Hi A_Chrislip, I agree with the excellent advice by Insights...

I have used diazepam (Valium)  for over 15-20 years in conjunction with Prozac. 

I had the very same fears of taking any medications when I was younger (1980's) - but now - having used most of the meds, especially Valium, I have had excellents results.

Yes, you will have to try it, I know that I lost many jobs to panic attacks and anxiety in the past when I had a job interview  :(

I wish I would have known about Valium back then... It is a game changer for those of who have panic and anxiety attacks.  That you are afraid to take them is good sign you will be careful with these types of meds, but it should not stop you for living your life.

I really like Insights's suggestion of 2.5 mg as an initial lower dose - and over time you will be able to determine how your body responds.

Let us know how the job interview goes for you and how your body responded to Valium .

Good luck  :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share
Never, never, never give up. -Winston Churchill

“You can’t live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you."   ~ John Wooden

Offline A_chrislip

• OMG Bono is my Avatar!
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2014, 09:58:16 AM »
I still haven't tried the valium. Hell, I had a mini freak out last night over a b6 tab I took to try and curb the nausea from the anxiousness and the zoloft; so the nausea got worse, lol. I've only eaten about one meal's worth of food over the last 3 or 4 days. Took me an hour to choke down a pack of ramen's last night. I'm having a hard time taking the zoloft too, mini attack every dose. It's strange, when I was younger I did a lot of drugs and drinking, it was no big deal. Now, I freak out over a high dose vitamin. wtf!?

On the upside, I killed the interview though. I find out tomorrow if I got the job [which is most likely] and when I start. The good thing about this job is that its cooking. For most people, its a high stress job that would be a problem. For me, its fantastic, I'm so comfortable cooking, plus, it gives me something fast paced to focus on, there's no time to freak out when you have a dining room full of people to feed.

I want to take a moment to thank everybody. This forum has actually helped me out more than anything else right now. I see that I'm not a freak, I was able to match all of my symptoms to just the anxiety/panic instead of some mystery illness, etc.
Bookmark and Share