Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Zoloft and side effects. Anyone with experience would be appreciated  (Read 277 times)

Offline JeffMitchell

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I took Zoloft 50mg for, approximatly, 2 weeks. I know not really long enough to really start being effective,  but I just couldn't handle the 2 main side effects I had. Excessive urinating (Going so much at night that I wasn't sleeping) and Complete loss of appetite.  

I stopped it 2 days ago cold turkey after my doctor told me to and I will go back and see him in a week to discuss other options.

My urinating is slowly returning to normal but my appetite hasn't returned yet. Can anyone tell me about how long it takes for everything to just get back to normal?

I'm really stressed about this. I had never taken medication like this before so I really didn't know what to expect.

I just really want my appetite back.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Drielly84

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Zoloft and side effects. Anyone with experience would be appreciated
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 05:08:46 PM »
For me I had to stop zoloft and start it back up at a very low dose 12.5 mg
That was 2 weeks ago and today I increased it to 37.5
Hopefully in a week I can be at 50 mg with no issue
When I first started it my appetite took several days to return to no
I drank ensure shakes and boost to make sure I was getting some type of nutrition
When I started back on it at I didn't really experience bad side effects just extra sweating and grogginess for a couple of hours after taking it
I also did get insomnia but my OB really thinks it's pregnancy insomnia and not too much the zoloft
I also got increased anxiety for a bit so I had many more side effects
Were u prescribed zoloft for anxiety or depression?
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

• Rec's: 98
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 06:31:07 PM »
Excessive urinating (Going so much at night that I wasn't sleeping) and Complete loss of appetite. 

Welcome to AnxietyZone,

Frequent urinating is one of the rarer Zoloft side-effects, as is difficulty urinating. The loss of appetite is more common. The bladder problems tend to linger, but the appetite loss is usually only temporary.

My urinating is slowly returning to normal but my appetite hasn't returned yet. Can anyone tell me about how long it takes for everything to just get back to normal?

It typically takes 5-6 days for Zoloft to be completely metabolized and eliminated and I would expect both issued to resolve by then.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline JeffMitchell

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 06:49:09 PM »
Thanks so much for the replies.  This really means a lot.

I have one other question about general anxiety.  Does it really effect bodily functions like urinating (overactive bladder, frequency of urination,  dribbling, etc...), and weird body pains?

I think I'm starting to realize that I've been suffering from anxiety for years and never knew it.

Years ago I would have crazy body pains. Always think I was dying. Go to doctors and have tons of tests done to find out nothing was wrong. It was really consuming my life and, at one point, was on the verge of divorce.

For years I've always had, kind of, weird urinating. Have to focus sometimes. Starts and stops

My dad says he's always did the same thing and that I, probably, inherited that from him.

Had prostate checked a few years ago and recently and it's fine which brings me to what my wife always says.

"Jeff, its all in your mind." The aches, pains, urinating, etc....

What do you guys think considering doctors can't find anything wrong?

Bookmark and Share

Offline e77

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 08:39:04 PM »
The symptoms and sensations you experience and thoughts can very well be brought on by anxiety.  I beg to differ with your spouse in that anxiety is much more than a creation of the mind.  I believe for many people who struggle with anxiety that it is a medical condition,  There's something going on in parts of our brains that are hard wired to jump almost immediately to danger when danger is actually not present.  These sensations and thoughts are very unpleasant in order to physically prepare us to flee or fight the danger.  We get false alarms. Our bodies can react in many intense ways to the adrenaline so I don't find your symptoms unusual. I don't think you would bring these sensations and symptoms on to yourself deliberately.  Wishing you the best on your course of treatment.
Bookmark and Share

Offline JeffMitchell

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2014, 08:53:13 PM »
Thank you so much for your help and advice
Bookmark and Share

Offline bababel

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2014, 12:00:27 AM »
Sorry you're going through a rough time. Anxiety can definitely give you all of the symptoms that you've been experiencing over the years. I had them all too for many years before I decided that enough was enough, and finally went on meds. I too am on Zoloft. I started it in January and slowly worked up to 125 mg, which is where I am now. I am so grateful that I stuck with it through the first couple of months because the side effects were brutal. I had a lot of panic attacks at first, lots of headaches, and the worst was the loss of appetite. It literally took 6 weeks for my appetite to return. After that, everything was fine.

My anxiety is so much better and I don't get the symptoms that I used to. It's such a relief. I know it's hard to stick with meds when the start-up side effects can be so uncomfortable, but once you make it over the hump you feel so much better.

Good luck!
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2014, 01:28:19 AM »
I have one other question about general anxiety.  Does it really effect bodily functions like urinating (overactive bladder, frequency of urination,  dribbling, etc...), and weird body pains?

The brain/mind can produce just about any symptom imaginable, either directly, or through the pituitary gland, or via the enteric nervous system, the secondary 'brain' which controls the gut and can also affect the heart and lungs via the vagus nerves.

which brings me to what my wife always says.

"Jeff, its all in your mind." The aches, pains, urinating, etc....

She will probably be right most of the time Jeff, women usually are IME :winking0008:, however, if in doubt always get it checked out if only for your peace of mind.

What do you guys think considering doctors can't find anything wrong?

Anxiety disorders are mostly diagnoses by eliminating all the other possible causes of the patient's symptoms. It sounds that like most of us you've been tested for just about everything else so it is likely that your problem is anxiety/stress, which is as much a disease as cancer and needs to be effectively treated. Though it rarely appears on death certificates, stress is the biggest killer of humans by far, triggering and/or influencing the course of most of humanities maladies, including heart disease and cancer.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline JeffMitchell

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2014, 02:26:20 PM »
Thank you guys so much for your kind replies. I think I may consider starting Zoloft again.  About 2 days after I stopped was when the anxiety came back and the constant urge to urinate started. I did have the loss of appetite,  the excess urinating (not the constant urge, however) when I was on it, but I feel really bad right now.

I did notice one thing last night when I woke up. When I'm asleep and wake up I don't have that constant urge to go. It doesn't get real bad until I get up moving. Just for piece of mind, I made a urology appointment for Monday, even if my regular Doc has done most of the tests. I'll keep you posted.
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2014, 05:51:38 PM »
I think I may consider starting Zoloft again.

You could try Celexa (citalopram) instead. It may not solve the frequent urinating issue, but it is the SSRI that most have the least problems starting so there is a chance that it might.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline JeffMitchell

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2014, 06:20:23 PM »
Thanks Ian

Right now it feels like I have a UTI, but the doctor said last Thursday that I didn't.

Last Thursday I was just excessive urinating.  I came off the medicine Friday and Sunday I started having this weird tickling feeling at the end of my Penis.  My anxiety is through the roof right now. Constantly feel like I have to urinate.

I wish I had someone to talk to. I'm just sitting here sobbing like a baby.
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2014, 06:42:45 PM »
I came off the medicine Friday and Sunday I started having this weird tickling feeling at the end of my Penis.  My anxiety is through the roof right now. Constantly feel like I have to urinate.

I doubt this is still a residual effect of Zoloft. It sounds like this is being driven by the anxiety. Unfortunately, the anxious mind is very adept at exploiting our weaknesses and as you had past urination issues maybe yours has latched onto this as its target.

In the short term probably all you can do is to get your mind off it as much as possible. Go for a walk (exercise is good for anxiety, btw) even if it's only around the house so you're not too far from the bathroom. Or tackle one of those things that you've been meaning to do, but never quite got around to. Basically, anything to get your mind off it, Jeff.

Also, how does your doctor feel about prescribing benzodiazepines such as Xanax (alprazolam)? A small dose might be the anxiety circuit-breaker you need right now. If s/he's a benzophob, then hydroxyzine, a antihistamine with anti anxiety properties is a less potent alternative. Benadryl is another antihistamine option, though it is milder than hydroxyzine.

Ian
Bookmark and Share