Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Getting really scared now  (Read 144 times)

Offline Jonnysmith

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Getting really scared now
« on: June 01, 2014, 01:25:41 PM »
Really worried I maybe developing epilepsy at 33. I am experiencing frequent intense episodes of deja vu and spaced out feelings and impending doom feeling from nowhere. My neurologist I went to see said he doesn't think it's epilepsy but everything I read online says that my symptoms relate to temporal lobe seizures and partial seizures. I am scared this will get worse and more frequent but I am being shrugged off by the doctor saying its anxiety even the neuro said its probably anxiety as my EEG and MRI were clear. I have heard epilepsy can strike at any age. What do I do just sit and wait for these episodes to get worse and result in major fits
Bookmark and Share

Offline soaringfalcon

• Rec's: 7
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Getting really scared now
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 01:32:20 PM »
If you're EEG and MRIs were clear, you can rest in the fact that it is anxiety.

Have you considered treatment for your anxiety?
Bookmark and Share

Online vardnas

• Rec's: 98
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 01:38:37 PM »
I agree with soaringfalcon. Spaced-out feelings, deja vu, and feeling of impending doom are also all very common with anxiety.

Anxiety shares symptoms with many different diseases; that's why we tend to fear disease, because of these similarities. However, in the absence of  concrete clinical findings, you can pretty much rest assured that what you're dealing with is anxiety-based. That doesn't mean what you're experiencing is "all in your head"—anxiety produces real, discernible symptoms.

I understand your concern, but I also know that looking to the internet for information, or getting repeated medical tests for your feared condition, isn't helping your cause.

Even if you're not convinced that what you're experiencing is anxiety-based, what's keeping you from starting some sort of treatment? It can't hurt at this point, right?
Bookmark and Share
In case anyone is still confused:  googling your symptoms will cause you to remain in a state of extreme anxiety. Stepping away from the internet is the first step toward lasting peace.

Offline Jonnysmith

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 02:03:54 PM »
I completely get what you guys are saying however when these feelings happen it complete feels unreal like people on epilepsy forums say. My symptoms are almost identical to what these epilepsy websites suggest. I am worried sick that a major fit is just round the corner. These intense episodes only last about 30 seconds at the most I thought anxiety attacks last much longer plus I don't get the pain, rapid heartbeat that panic attacks bring. Mine are all head and vision related
Bookmark and Share

Online vardnas

• Rec's: 98
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 02:25:26 PM »
I get what you're saying, and I doubt that we're going to be able to convince you otherwise, but I REALLY don't think you're about to fall into major epilepsy (like really, really don't think). Anxiety can take on a whole spectrum of symptoms, it's not always just, "pain, rapid heartbeat and panic attacks." Plus, it's largely subconscious, so even though your attacks last only 30 seconds, it could just be how your overactive stress hormones are choosing to manifest themselves in the moment. Believe me, I'm not trying to diminish what you're going through; anxiety is not a throw-away diagnosis, it's serious stuff.

Also, do yourself a favor and get off those epilepsy boards! Reading them is NOT helping, trust me.

Maybe right now a "wait and see" approach is best. If you develop epilepsy, you'll know. But if you don't in a reasonable amount of time, maybe then look into other options.
Bookmark and Share
In case anyone is still confused:  googling your symptoms will cause you to remain in a state of extreme anxiety. Stepping away from the internet is the first step toward lasting peace.

Offline Jonnysmith

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2014, 02:29:53 PM »
I cannot bare the thought of developing epilepsy though, it scares the heck out of me it's my biggest fear as well I dunno y but I have always had a phobia of it. I understand the wait and see approach but these episodes are becoming more frequent which make me think its seizure related. Does nobody else suffer this phobia at all but my fear is the fact my symptoms match so much to TLE.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: