Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Obsessed with hair loss?  (Read 344 times)

Offline JBD02

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Obsessed with hair loss?
« on: June 01, 2014, 12:04:35 PM »
I'm a 37y/o female with long hair. As far back as I can remember, I've always lost hair when brushing and washing. It seemed like a lot, but it never bothered me and I've always had thick hair. Over the last 2 weeks, I've become obsessed with counting the number of strands that come out and I'm afraid to wash my hair. I see my hair everywhere now. The sheets, on my kids clothes (places that it prob was before, but never focused on it). I can't say that to look at my hair, it looks any thinner, but now I'm CONSTANTLY looking at my hairline in the mirror, feeling for any loose strands etc... I've also become obsessed with looking for eyebrow hair everywhere too.
I do have significant health anxiety and this is not the first thing I've become obsessed about, but it would be nice to hear if anyone else has had some similar feelings.
Bookmark and Share

Offline leah2013

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Obsessed with hair loss?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 02:17:41 PM »
I am going thur the same thing. I am so afraid of lupus, and hair loss could be a symptom... my hair is falling out... I don't know what to do  :(
Bookmark and Share
Going thru a rough patch! Praying for peace of mind and happiness!!!!

Offline Toasted Butter

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 02:29:37 PM »
The average human head replaces about 47,000 hairs every year (twice that for redheads, less for others). If you didn't lose hair regularly then you'd be a mutant or something.

In my case I am clearly losing it faster than I'm replacing it, but I don't worry much about it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline lilyofthevalley

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 09:00:29 PM »
JBD02, I am your twin! 36 and the exact same thing. I thought I was losing my hair at my temple and ever since then I have been obsessing, even counting the hairs that I brush and noticing hairs everywhere!!! Ironically, I feel like the hair at the temple is still starting growing back a little, but I am convinced that my hair is falling out. it is normal to lose 50-100 hairs a day and in counting all my hairs I have never gone over 50 hairs lost at a time, but still can't let it go.

I miss the days where I just brushed my hair like a normal person and moved on with my day!!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline leah2013

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 10:10:32 PM »
JBD02, I am your twin! 36 and the exact same thing. I thought I was losing my hair at my temple and ever since then I have been obsessing, even counting the hairs that I brush and noticing hairs everywhere!!! Ironically, I feel like the hair at the temple is still starting growing back a little, but I am convinced that my hair is falling out. it is normal to lose 50-100 hairs a day and in counting all my hairs I have never gone over 50 hairs lost at a time, but still can't let it go.

I miss the days where I just brushed my hair like a normal person and moved on with my day!!!

I could have written this post words by words.... I am 37, and I started counting the hair today. It was 15....
Bookmark and Share

Offline lilyofthevalley

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2014, 08:24:50 AM »
Ugh... talk me down people. All week I have been only lightly brushing my hair so this week because I am trying to stop counting my hairs. So I bought a new set of combs last night instead of brushes, and I woke up this morning and decided to thoroughly comb my hair. So I washed my hair and decided to comb it wet (Now, I do realize hair is weaker when wet). At first I was combing it I got maybe a strand or two and I was psyched on the first section of my hair. But then I ran my hand through it, and there were about 10 -15 strands that pulled out from that one section alone.

At that point, I wanted to stop, but I continued on. So I did the rest of my hair, and I had a total of about 50  hairs that came out. Now, I wasn't being super aggressive with the hair brushing, so I am afraid of what would have happened if I was!!

My hair is thin and fine to begin with. If I lose a lot of my hair, I am going to barely have any! I really want to get my hair cut to a shorter cut (How it used to be before I started growing it out), but I won't because of all this.

Originally, I thought I was losing hair in one specific area (well, I know I was in the spring), but I know I feel it is all over my head.

I am trying to tell myself that...
1) The hair was wet
2) I only lose like a strand or two tops when I shampoo my hair. It's very rare I see strands on my pillow or sheets after I sleep, and even when I do, it's only a strand or two.
3) If I did not thoroughly brush my hair all week, I am naturally going to lose more hair on this brushing, because I wasn't taking out all the weak hairs that should have been brushed out earlier in the week.
4) It's normal to lose 50 - 100 hairs a day.
3) Hair loss can be aggravated by stress.

Sigh. And I thought I was doing so well!
Bookmark and Share

Offline leah2013

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2014, 11:51:41 AM »
Wow again I am doing the same. I am so afraid of brushing my hair or washing it. Every time I put my fingers thru it I lose hair. It's driving me crazy.
Is there an underlying condition u r afraid of? For me it's lupus. I am so scared.
Bookmark and Share

Offline CarrieAnn

• Rec's: 14
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2014, 12:12:08 PM »
I read somewhere that it is normal to go through a shedding process every so often (sorry forgot the exact length of time), so you may notice more hair shedding during those times.  It happens to me too.  Dr. Oz had an episode last week where he said zinc is good for preventing hair loss----he mentioned eating oysters specifically.

Take care! :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline lilyofthevalley

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2014, 04:58:42 PM »
I think I am finally making progress with my hair loss issue! It had been three days since I had really brushed my hair (just super busy), so today I really thoroughly brushed my hair and about 75 hairs came out.

Normally, this would send me into a tizzy. But I realized something. I only have high hair loss counts typically on days where I have skipped entirely or very lightly brushed. My hair typically only has about 15 hairs come out when I regularly brush and this is after counting on a regular basis.

This makes me feel like my fear might be coming to an end!! Fingers crossed!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: