Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: Dealing with others medical conditions while having panic and agoraphobia?  (Read 147 times)

Offline TyeDyedButterfly

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
How does everyone that has Panic Attacks and Agoraphobia along with Hypochondria manage to be there for sick family members ?

I am feeling so guilty that I have missed so many peoples funerals and hospital or nursing home stays due to my own mental and physical health so how do we force ourselves to be there for others when we can't even take care of our own issues?

I also can not attend fun things either but I don't feel guilty about those.

I am so mad and upset with myself for being like I am but I also can not help I have my own medical conditions . I feel like I am always making excuses and I guess I am but some are very valid reasons and people except so much from me they still do not get I am not well myself.

Family and Friends offer no help to me or other sick family members but they sure can be users and takers.

Amy advice on how to overcome this? I need a new therapist and maybe new meds!
Bookmark and Share
PEACE, LOVE AND HAPPINESS !

Offline forever young

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
tulip I know how you feel I am going thru a lot right now. I am switching medicine and hoping it works. I am worried about my health at the moment. I have agrophobia I can't go far out of town. I am going to a dr tomorrow and I am afraid he will want to do test and afraid of the results. It it is bad I may need to go to a town far away from where I live and wondering if I can do but what do you do when you have too. I would not let others make me feel bad you know what you can and can't do. people will always talk about and try to make you feel bad. do the best you can do. you need to get yourself to feeling better. I know how you feel. what meds do you take? I am going from celexa to Zoloft.
Bookmark and Share

Offline TyeDyedButterfly

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Thank you so much!

I still need to know how to be there for my family though when I am a mess myself I love my parents and siblings so how do we get out and go see them?

I bring on the guilt myself but I do at times hear comments that trigger me or hurt me and push me backwards.
Bookmark and Share
PEACE, LOVE AND HAPPINESS !

Offline Lunatone

• Rec's: 17
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
This may be a silly question, but have you asked them for help? Because a lot of times, people get stuck in roles. They assume things are fine the way they are, and simply do not see how it could be different.  You really should talk to them if you haven't, because they may not see a need to help.

I offer this advice because it is the best possible reason for the behavior, and is the easiest to resolve. If they do know they arent helping, and are doing so on purpose... it gets a bit more complicated.
Bookmark and Share

Offline forever young

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
tulip I know what you mean about the guilt. I have it too. I have missed out on so much. I guess we need to start working on our phobias. I havn't for a while but that is the only way to get over them. I don't like doing it. that is why I have been like this so long. I have always refused to face my fears and waited for it to go away. it has only got worse. don't beat yourself up you know what you can and can't do. maybe have a talk with them and tell them how you fell.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Julie A. Cook

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Tulip, I have seen your name on chat and am glad you are joining in to talk to us.  We are a big neurotic family, but we help one another and understand what you're going through.

THis weekend I had my two little grandchildren (ages 1 and 2) up with me.  My daughter and her husband stayed overnight as well, so that was a help.  But you know the stress from crying, running and screaming kids.  I kept a stiff uppe lip and got into the swing of thngs.  Here's the deal...what's the worse that can happen?  You have a panic attack, but they always go away.

Yes, I was uncomfotable at times, especially when the little one woke up at 5:30 in the AM, but I did it.

I don't blame you for taking care of yourself.  You have to.  But one of the previous posters did have a good suggestion.  Ask for help.  You'd be surprised how many people actually understand what you're going through.

Hang tough.  THis, to, shall pass as my grandmother would say.

Best regards as you recover,

Julie
Bookmark and Share

Offline Julie A. Cook

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Tulip, I have seen your name on chat and am glad you are joining in to talk to us.  We are a big neurotic family, but we help one another and understand what you're going through.

THis weekend I had my two little grandchildren (ages 1 and 2) up with me.  My daughter and her husband stayed overnight as well, so that was a help.  But you know the stress from crying, running and screaming kids.  I kept a stiff uppe lip and got into the swing of thngs.  Here's the deal...what's the worse that can happen?  You have a panic attack, but they always go away.

Yes, I was uncomfotable at times, especially when the little one woke up at 5:30 in the AM, but I did it.

I don't blame you for taking care of yourself.  You have to.  But one of the previous posters did have a good suggestion.  Ask for help.  You'd be surprised how many people actually understand what you're going through.

Hang tough.  THis, to, shall pass as my grandmother would say.

Best regards as you recover,

Julie
Bookmark and Share

Tags: