Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Scared I may have epilepsy  (Read 749 times)

Offline Dayvid

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Scared I may have epilepsy
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2014, 05:53:04 PM »
Here's a passage that helped me.

"To distinguish epileptic déjà-vu from psychogenic phenonema, it is often helpful to obtain a clear and definite description from the patient about his sensations. Quite frequently, patients with psychogenic nonepileptic seizures are aware of déjà-vu sensations and list them as one of their symptoms. But they are unable to describe their sensations, or they give descriptions of other sensations. Jamais-vu sensations are related feelings of a sense of unfamiliarity or strangeness in a familiar situation. This is overall a rare occurrence in epileptic disorders"

Psychogenic meaning, basically, stress caused.

Written by 2 doctors! Anxiety causes a LOT of scary symptoms.
Bookmark and Share

Offline bpadilla49

• Rec's: 5
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2014, 05:57:30 PM »
Yeah - I can also smell normal things if I get a phantom smell - example - when it was happening once I picked up a candle and it smelled as it should.

But I can clearly describe what happened with my deja vu. I was/am aware of it when it's happening, and like I mentioned in the example of being on the phone with my mom - I can explain it all. So, does this point to epilepsy?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Stressed Jumper

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2014, 08:48:43 PM »
Ok, here is my two cents...none of you have epilepsy!  Why?  Well because I was the one to wrestle my step second cousin (don't ask) to the ground and shove my now permanently scarred fingers into his mouth to keep him from biting or choking on his own tongue. 

Deja vu is weird but we all experience it at times.  Unless you are falling over and seizing then you are fine.  J's tests were never normal and he was med boarded out of the army.  If your tests are normal then so are you...well, except for the anxiety!  Great that and hang he rest will resolve itself.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jonnysmith

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2014, 09:39:13 AM »
Hi stressed jumper thank you for your reply. Your post was reassuring however I have been told that their are so many forms of epilepsy which can spread from partial into secondary generalised seizures I feel that's what I am experiencing at the moment. I feel at the moment I am getting the partial seizure feeling and then it stops. I haven't been diagnosed with this however from what I have read on so many forums about the whole intense fear feeling accompanied with the deja vu and panic inuding confusion is what I  experiencing almost a few times a week. Yes I realise I have a major phobia of seizures but these symptoms feel so real. Please can you advise or help?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jonnysmith

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2014, 11:39:59 AM »
Also forgot to mention the doctors say their are no specific tests that can diagnose epilepsy and that is based on the persons symptoms. So why if my symptoms are identical to seizure symptoms are they just ignoring it and passing it off as anxiety when it is surely something else? Please help I need answers with solid facts
Bookmark and Share

Offline Dayvid

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2014, 12:47:45 PM »
Give the passage I sent another read. If you can recall the Dejavu "episode" this does not point to epilepsy.

I hope all went well today bpdailla....

Bookmark and Share

Offline bpadilla49

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2014, 03:13:59 PM »
Dayvid:

Did you see my response up above? If I can describe the event (talking to my mom on the phone, knowing what she was going to say next) does that mean that I have epilepsy?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Dayvid

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2014, 03:25:59 PM »
Not at all! read the passage i posted again.

Most people who have "seizures" caused by something like that, rarely remember the event. Or at least most of the event it seems. I remember all my dejavu episodes.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Dayvid

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2014, 03:31:52 PM »
"Quite frequently, patients with psychogenic nonepileptic seizures are aware of déjà-vu sensations and list them as one of their symptoms. But they are unable to describe their sensations, or they give descriptions of other sensations"

Meaning, dejavu is common in non-epileptic seizures. But are unable to describe them.... it's difficult to describe to someone what's going on in your head. all you can say is dejavu. But the FEELING is intense and different. I think what the post tries to get at is, deja vu is often listed as a symptom of non-eplieptic seizures however people can't fully describe them, they probably have other symptoms they CAN describe.

We can all say deja vu... but most people get deja vu. When it's caused by anxiety etc etc, like you or I have had, it's different. Diffcult to explain how, but as the post suggests. It's definitely a symptom - albeit an elusive one at times.

Do NOT panic!
Bookmark and Share

Offline bpadilla49

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2014, 03:36:15 PM »
But didn't I just describe it? Ok, it was deja vu. I was on the phone with my mom, she was talking about he doctors appointment and I knew what she was going to say next and it was like I'd had that conversation before. Isn't that describing the "deja vu"? If you were to describe deja vu, how else would you describe it?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Dayvid

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2014, 04:11:18 PM »
Yes, but the post said dejavu is a common symptom of non epileptic seizures.

I can still tell you to this day that i had dejavu but i can't explain how it was different than normal, it was just more intense.

I can tell you in full detail what happened. But i think the article is trying to suggest that people have quite full on seizures. What we seem to be having (IF THEY ARE SEIZURES AT ALL) are very "partial" and dejavu happens to be our main symptom. Other people who have these "stress" seizures have full on fits to. They come in different intesnitys.

All you need to know is. Dejavu is a symptom of anxiety. Anxiety can cause psychogenic(psuedo) seizures which can also cause this. But they are not caused by epilepsy etc.

What you have sounds like what i had. And mine stopped after i realised they were anxiety related. Honestly, i'd put MONEY on yours being caused by anxiety.
Bookmark and Share

Offline bpadilla49

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2014, 06:18:54 PM »
Hah, I'd put money on it too!

But the knawing thoughts of anxiety in my head say "what if it's NOT just anxiety? What if, THIS TIME, it truly IS something to be worried about?"

Dayvid - have you tried anything to treat your anxiety? Has anything worked? I can't take medication because a certain medicine that I have to be on will interact with any type of trycyclic or SSRI. And money is too tight for counseling. So I'm trying a Bible study, prayer, a "meditation journal" that I'm putting together that includes different pictures, calming places, happy/funny memories, comforting scripture verses, ect. The meditation journal was recommended by my pastor - I'm a Christian and when he said the word "meditation" I was turned off. LOL. But he said that before it became a "new age" thing, it was very popular by Christians - "Meditate on these things...." ect. So I am taking his advice. Whenever I'm feeling anxious or worried, I'll pull it out and force myself to get into it. I tried it the other day and after about 2 hours down memory lane, I actually had a thought that "wow, I haven't been anxious in a while (a while meaning 2 hours!) lol - it's the little victories I suppose!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jonnysmith

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2014, 10:49:47 AM »
The thing is I can remember my deja vu absolutely fine however I cant explain it that's the problem, but the deja vu is not as worrisome as this other feeling I get which is the hardest thing to explain. I can be sat their and all of a sudden i get this rush fear feeling over my head and through my body then it makes my eyes go weird and my vision go cloudy and foggy and then my heartbeats quicker and then as it passes it leaves me feeling shaken, thing is it can start and be over within ten seconds and the reasons that are pointing more towards seizure activity is panic/anxiety attacks last longer and are accompanied with other symptoms aren't they?

I also get random old dreams and memories entering my mind all throughout my day what the heck is that all about?

I have been on citalopram for nearly a week now and it feels worse than its been for a while its not helped at all yet.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Dayvid

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2014, 03:02:32 PM »
Johnny! When my events happened they were over within a few minutes. But I remember old dreams randomly too! And after my dejavu episodes I got these... "racing thoughts" images flashing in my mind, one after the other that i can't even describe/remember. They just happened... i honestly coulnd't tell you what they were because they didn't make sense. Anxiety does different things to different people. Some might get one symptom, others may have a myriad of them. Just because they last a short time and you get no other anxiety symptoms doesn't mean what you are experiencing can't be anxiety.

In response to how i handled my anxiety - I didn't take medication. I didn't go to the docs. I DID pray, i know that's not for everyone. And thankfully i have a wonderful family who calmed me down and supported me 100%. I don't know what happened for me, I just began to NOT worry every day. I tried my hardest to stop thinking about it - This was mainly due to my depersonalization/Derealization. I NEEDED to stop thinking about it for it to go, so i had to train myself over a few months to not think about my anxiety/DP/DR. Maybe that helped. My DP/DR wasn't going to go unless i stopped focusing on it - That's the only real way to get rid. So i believe that helped. Silver linings, ey?

Pray, gain comfort from love ones and stay strong.. This forum really helped me too. Finding so many people who were just like me was reassuring.

Please just remember, anxiety can play havoc with every part of your body. And in our case, dejavu sensations and other "brain freak outs" are normal, albeit unsettling.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jonnysmith

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2014, 04:52:21 PM »
Thanks Dayvid for your response but the worry thing is not just the deja vu but these feelings that I get of sudden rush of fear and I get goosebumps feelings with vision going cloudy and dimmed. It's so frightening thinking this leads to the seizure but it only lasts seconds. What is this?

Also my memories are hard to distinguish between reality and dreams
Bookmark and Share

Tags: