Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Having an attack ... need some advice  (Read 156 times)

Offline ARose318

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Having an attack ... need some advice
« on: June 01, 2014, 07:59:28 AM »
I posted over in the HA board as well, as this is a combination of HA and GAD

I have emetophobia and I also have IBS.
This is what I posted on the HA board:
"Yesterday around 5pm I went to the bathroom - normal BM. Afterwards though I felt crampy, bloated, uncomfortable, blah. Had dinner, felt fine. Woke up around 6am (2hours ago) and was crampy again. I have gone to the bathroom 3x - it's not full-fledge diarrhea, like it's not watery, but it's def. soft, and easy to pass small jagged pieces.

My anxiety is sky high right now

I don't feel nauseous really ... maybe a little bit.

I had a bug about 6 weeks ago. Started off in the morning with pure-water diarrhea and nausea and by the afternoon it was unbearable so I puked once and felt better.

This time, it's weird as I felt "off" last night, then felt better, now I'm having poop issues but it's not the water-like diarrhea I had last time."

As you can see - my anxiety is peaking, and continues to increase by the minute. I'm sitting on the couch trying to calm down but it's not working. I'm shaking like a leaf. I turned on cartoons and am letting my 1 year old just play in the living room while I sit on the couch (my husband is sleeping) ...

A really good friend of my is also emetophobic and I texted her to chat but I think she's still sleeping LOL so I'm waiting to hear back from her too, just to help calm me down.
Bookmark and Share

Offline kconnors

• Rec's: 57
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Having an attack ... need some advice
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 08:24:39 AM »
Hi,

Because I am also IBS and have anxiety, I will share my suggestions with you  . . .

First, there are a lot of issues with IBS and anxiety and the physical symptoms that you have . . . I have also experienced these . . . 1.  something may be triggering an anxiety event which in turn is triggering the IBS reaction . . . it could be even something seemingly inconsequential that has happened . . .only you would know --- so think about anything that might have happened that maybe made you anxious or upset, etc.; 2. IBS can be triggered by non-anxiety based events also --- did your child keep you up at night so you have not had a good night's sleep, etc.? Did you see something on television that may have upset you? etc. 3. your physical reaction may have nothing to do with IBS or anxiety but because you do not know the cause of the physical symptom, that is provoking both the IBS and anxiety - for example, the cramping, etc. may be from something you ate, may be from a new virus infection, may be the result of normal intestinal function --- for example, if I eat too quickly, I can trigger the symptoms that you have and it will often take up to 48 or so hours to get over it; 4. do you take any meds and if so could this be a side effect? 5. are you experiencing any stress related factors associated with having a baby --- sometimes new Moms get anxious about caring for a new baby and a 1 year old baby is still a new baby, etc. 6. it could be hormonal also.

The next thing to do is to figure out if your anxiety about your symptoms is now causing an intensification of the symptoms --- anxiety and health issues can be a vicious cycle that has to be broken . . . . ask yourself, if you are improving or not; are the symptoms more intense when you think about them; when you are distracted and not thinking about your issues, do you feel better, etc.

Right now, I would suggest that you ensure that you keep track of the "history" of your symptoms. If you eat or drink anything, what happens? For how long, etc.? If your symptoms do not resolve themselves within 24 hours, then check it out with a med professional . . . or if they symptoms intensify and escalate, then go as soon as you can to see a med professional . . . in the meantime, if you have meds for IBS, consider taking them to control the IBS; I am assuming that you are seeing a counselor for the GAD (if not, perhaps you need to see a counselor to help you with the GAD); if you practice any type of strategy for anxiety such as mindfulness, etc., then use those techniques; and, by the time you get this, your really good friend should be awake so text her again . . . . the only way I know to calm myself down is to talk myself through the fact that anxiety triggers physical symptoms and that anxiety is manageable . . . but having someone to help you through the process is so much better . . . please let us know how you are doing . . .take care, kc
Bookmark and Share

Offline Toasted Butter

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Having an attack ... need some advice
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 01:27:33 PM »
I echo kconnors' sentiments. I have had IBS and GAD all my life and this is pretty typical for me. With IBS it seems that there is no such thing as "normal" BMs. What most people would consider normal for me is highly unusual. I've had it all; sometimes within a few hours I will have constipation, hard pellets, gassy soft stool, and watery diarrhea. I've had all sorts of blood tests and colonoscopies and other procedures and the result is always the same; IBS is just a pain. Sleep too little? Bam, you've got symptoms. Sleep too late? Bam, you've got symptoms. Eat too much? Eat too little? Eat the wrong thing (even if you don't know that that is)? Get stressed about something? Get stressed about nothing? Get too hot? It seems like the potential triggers are endless. It takes a lot of time to figure out the main things that will really set you off and learn to avoid those, but even then there will still be some things that trigger episodes that you just can't figure out.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: