Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Have you ever been told by doctors to eat small and frequent meals?  (Read 192 times)

Offline skyisblue

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Hi guys,

I've had bouts of stomach problems in the past and sometimes I feel that they come back occasionally.

Sometimes I would feel bloated, or feel some "false" hunger just a few hours after I eat, and burp a lot.

My doctors say that it could be gastritis and I still don't have the courage to go through an endoscopy, even though my doctors think it's still not an urgent matter.

I've been to around seven (yes, 7!) doctors and all of them said the same thing: Eat small and frequent meals as it helps with the stomach pressure and acidity.

One of my doctors said that our stomach is like a bonfire. The more you put stuff in, the longer it takes to burn out.

The major problem I have with this advice is that I cannot do it without thinking I am sick. My habit is that I eat 3 large meals in a day and that's it. I usually want to know how many hours I can last without eating (OMG weird). Now changing my diet to small and frequent meals throughout the day somehow makes me anxious because I feel that I am being "treated" for something. Am I making sense? :(

Have you ever been told to do this? How can I change my attitude towards this? :(

Bookmark and Share

Offline IAMHEALTHY

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Have you ever been told by doctors to eat small and frequent meals?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 03:48:00 AM »
Lol, yes I've been told this. I started eating 1-2 large meals a day and my doc was like why?

But yea Ive been told this. The weird thing is all my back pain and poop issues started after eating large meals. Im scared I may have given myself chronic pancreatitis :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 64
  • Mood: Busy
    Busy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 09:06:51 AM »
I have had a bunch of EGD's over the years and they are piece of cake. No prep and the
test takes 10-15 minutes at best. The medication they use now actually wears off pretty
quickly with minimal side effects.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline vardnas

• Rec's: 94
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 01:54:28 PM »
Well, I don't think your doctor recommended the change in eating habits because he/she thought anything was "wrong," it was probably suggested as a way to help you feel better. If you go in to your doctor's office complaining about bloating and general stomach discomfort, they're going to try and help. If they truly thought something was wrong, they're order tests.

You can take their advice or not—keep eating three big meals or have six smaller ones—the choice is up to you. There's no guarantee that eating six small meals a day will make anything better, it's just the least invasive thing your doctor could think of to suggest for symptom alleviation. Remember, they're making suggestions because you sought their advice! So often we hypos run to the doctor when we think something is wrong, but if they say anything that might suggest they too think something's wrong, we freak out. That's very contradictory thinking. When it comes to doctors visits, we can't not expect to get what we ask for.

Challenge your own thinking in this matter. Ask yourself if your feelings of resistance have a logical basis—is it realistic to be fearful of making these dietary changes? I realize that's easier said than done for us anxious types, who tend to run on emotion, but it's at least worth a try.
Bookmark and Share
In case anyone is still confused:  googling your symptoms will cause you to remain in a state of extreme anxiety. Stepping away from the internet is the first step toward lasting peace.

Offline burgundyplace

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 10:30:51 AM »
I think I've been told this once when my stomach flared up due to acidity issues.

It helps to let our stomach not be overwhelmed by stuff.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ShawnW

• Rec's: 19
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 12:15:38 PM »
It not only helps with stomach issues but with anxiety issues.  Keeping blood sugar levels even is one strategy to help with anxiety.
Bookmark and Share
My insight, thoughts, experiences or advice that may be posted in this forum are not meant as a substitution for the advice of your physician.

Want to know how to address your anxiety?
http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php/topic,93402.msg521266.html#msg521266

Offline Toasted Butter

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2014, 01:03:08 PM »
If it makes you feel abnormal to get this advice, then rest assured this is not abnormal; this advice is actually best for most people, but most people will not do it so they usually only mention it to people whom they think can especially benefit from it. It's good for blood sugar levels, it's good for weight maintenance, it's good for digestion, mood, circulation, sleep; it's good for a whole lot of reasons. It can be difficult because it's not what our culture is used to, but from a physiological perspective it's just plain better to eat small meals throughout the day rather than a few big meals.
Bookmark and Share

Offline skyisblue

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2014, 07:53:42 PM »
Thank you for all the advice toasted butter, shawn, burgundy, vardnas, marc, and iamhealthy.

I am sorry for the delayed response. I am using a mobile and will get back to you shortly.

Thank you for giving me insightful comments to help me cope right now.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: