Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: It gets better (slowly)  (Read 125 times)

Offline Buddy122

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
It gets better (slowly)
« on: June 01, 2014, 12:48:23 AM »
This is more of a progress report on myself than anything else, but maybe some of you will find this encouraging. I am in no way cured of my anxiety issues, however, I do have bouts of clarity and relative senses of normalcy. Each day is different, not every day is a struggle. I havent had a full blown 'I'm going to die' panic attack in a little over two months, and remembering that is a huge help. My biggest anxiety effects have been the shortness of breath/heavy chest/consciousness of breathing, and my eyes/vision (blur, visual snow, lasting afterimages, patterns shaking, etc). 

Now on to some positivity....the biggest things that I've found work for me are remembering to belly breathe when I'm noticing my weird breathing issues...and head massage. When I'm able, a thorough head massage helps me to focus and calm down, and also removes that tight band around the head feeling. Don't ever hesitate to throw in a positive affirmation. Maybe you'll feel stupid talking to yourself...maybe you don't believe what you're saying, and that's ok. You still heard it, your brain still processed  t, YOU still said it. Now keep saying it. Also, staying engaged in my life has been tremendously beneficial. Making plans and keeping them, going out, going through the motions, pushing through, being social, etc. Just doing the things that I would normally instead of curling up into a ball by myself at home.

It's re-training me to be....me. No celebrations yet, the war is still raging. But hey, even the small battles won are mentioned in history books.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lazalus

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: It gets better (slowly)
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 04:07:51 AM »
Keep it up! Baby steps. I think i'm going to steal some of your calming down methods haha.

Cheers,

L
Bookmark and Share

Tags: