Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: fear of losing memory  (Read 172 times)

Offline shaggy

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
fear of losing memory
« on: May 31, 2014, 06:32:50 PM »
I had lots of different fears since I developed this anxiety disorder, they come and go,  but one fear that I can't get over is the fear of losing my memory. I'm scared of forgetting my idenity, that I'll wake up one day and not reconize who my family is and that I'll forget my past and not remember how I got to where I am. This fear combined with derealization and depersonlization, really gets me scared and its what starts most of my anxiety attacks. As you can see I've watched too much movies.. :( I don't know how to go about facing this fear when its in my head. Any thoughts?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 169
    • Poke This Member
Re: fear of losing memory
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 05:39:06 AM »
You need to break the chain of thought. Be it with some form of distraction. It will never happen. You won't lose your memory. I think we have all thought this at one point or another over the years. But things can change as time goes by. Depersonalization might simply vanish. It normally does. Just stops by itself. The less you think and worry about it.  Then you will have a clearer mind. Just look for things to do. Even if it means writing when you are at your worst. I mean lists. Lists of people you know. It will show you that no matter how bad you may think you are, you can still remember those people in your life.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline Kavenchols

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 05:20:10 AM »
You need to break the chain of thought.

^that. Don't let negative thoughts consume you. If you love to watch movies then, pick something that won't trigger your anxiety.
Bookmark and Share

Offline tinam7

• Rec's: 76
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 08:20:37 AM »
I will pick up on your suggestion that you watch too many movies. What else is there on a screen these days besides movies? I don't even know because I just have the stationary computer screen and try to not get caught up with YT and the myriad of other sites. It is all very tempting and addictive.

What may be happening in this culture of screens is a loss of identity, weakness of memory. We are not one with ourselves. We don't think, imagine, relate to ourselves, develop ourselves. We can't remember because there is little worthwhile to remember. You might try turning things off, try reading fiction, non-fiction, biography, history, memoir, etc. Anything, but let it be in book form. See if this can help. Go for a walk with yourself, with nature. Let us know how you are doing.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: