Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Lexapro, Buspar, and xanax?  (Read 241 times)

Offline Ellie3344

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Lexapro, Buspar, and xanax?
« on: May 31, 2014, 01:05:44 PM »
is anyone on this (or a similar) combo of medication? Lexapro 20mg, BuSpar 5mg 3x a day, and xanax every 8 hours?

This is what the doctor recommended for me to take after taking just lexapro and buspar 10mg 3x a day. It seems that the 10mg is too much for me, its causing some slight depression and mood swings.

Anyone??
Bookmark and Share

Offline Never-Quit

• Pay It Forward ! and Be a Blessing to others !
  • Rec's: 19
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Overcomer by God's Grace- Panic/Anxiety/OCD
    • Poke This Member
Re: Lexapro, Buspar, and xanax?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 01:48:32 PM »
Hi Ellie3444 - Yes, I have taken them all  :yes:

My 20+ years of taking numerous - (too many to count) type of meds:

Here is my experience:

Lexapro - (Like Celexa) - I found to be an excellent and among the most effective and easy to take - with fewer side effects (than Paxil,Effexor,etc).  Good results for me... about a year into this med it started to lose effectiveness.  But, there are many people I know that have used for years with success.

BuSpar - I didn't like this medication, doctors like to recommend it - because it is not habit forming.  I also know 3 or 4 family members using it.  Unfortunately I found Buspar totally worthless for me and most of the people who I know found it lacking compared to Xanax or Lorazepam.  It actually caused dizzy spells for me. 

If you do an internet search on this medication - it is not very highly rated and has been touted as "Sugar Pill"  that does very little in the way of anxiety compared to real Benzos. 

My mom of 76 years was prescripted this - initially for her social anxiety and did nothing for her anxiety but did cause some annoying side effects, we finally went to her doctor and successfully switched her over to a therapeutic dose of Lorazepam 3x per day which relieved 90% of her social anxiety.

Xanax - It works well and is the fastest benzo for panic or anxiety attacks, hate that you have to take several times a day - but it does the job!

I hope this helps...

Bookmark and Share
Never, never, never give up. -Winston Churchill

“You can’t live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you."   ~ John Wooden

Offline insights

• Rec's: 98
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 05:40:04 PM »
Lexapro 20mg, BuSpar 5mg 3x a day, and xanax every 8 hours?

This is what the doctor recommended for me to take after taking just lexapro and buspar 10mg 3x a day. It seems that the 10mg is too much for me, its causing some slight depression and mood swings.

I'd be inclined to just drop the Buspar dose and hold off on the Xanax for a week to see what happens. My guess is that the unwanted effects will diminish without making much difference to effectiveness.

If I'm wrong and you do need the Xanax because of rising anxiety then I suggest you consider switching to another antidepressant. If Lexapro isn't cutting it at the maximum dose even with an extra boost from Buspar then I don't see the point in continuing with it. Far better, IMHO, to find an antidepressant that works well.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline Ellie3344

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 04:22:54 PM »
Thank you both for taking the time to reply! It seems that 5mg buspar is doing the trick, whether it's a placebo effect or not. I haven't had need for the Xanax! My anxiety is fading more and more each day.

I've been on lexapro for 10 years. Maybe it is time to switch? I'll find out when I see my new psych doctor on Thursday.

Also, there's been a lot of stressors going on in my life. Maybe it's just one of those things.
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 98
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 06:16:56 PM »
I've been on lexapro for 10 years. Maybe it is time to switch?

Only if it is no longer working. Antidepressants don't have a time limit. I've been on my current antidepressant for nearly 20 years and it still works fine.

Also, there's been a lot of stressors going on in my life.

That would explain why your meds were not as effective as before. Provided you are in good physical shape you could try raising the Lexapro dose above the recommended maximum for a while. It was 30mg/day until a couple of years ago when it was realized that Lexapro could affect the electrical system of the heart at high doses. However, provided you don't have heart problems doses above the new maximum are unlikely to cause problems. I'm on the most cardio toxic antidepressant made at well above its recommended maximum dose and so far it has no effect on my heart even though it is under greater than normal strain following the removal of one of my lungs 9 years ago (lungs act as shock absorbers for the heart).

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline Never-Quit

• Pay It Forward ! and Be a Blessing to others !
  • Rec's: 19
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Overcomer by God's Grace- Panic/Anxiety/OCD
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 01:52:53 PM »
Ellie - Good to hear that Buspar is working... Keeping us informed on your progress!!

If Buspar can be used instead of Xanax - That is awesome!!   :yes:
Bookmark and Share
Never, never, never give up. -Winston Churchill

“You can’t live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you."   ~ John Wooden

Offline Ellie3344

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2014, 10:51:44 PM »
Ellie - Good to hear that Buspar is working... Keeping us informed on your progress!!

If Buspar can be used instead of Xanax - That is awesome!!   :yes:

So far, I haven't used any Xanax! Today I may need to though. I've developed a strange minty/cold feeling in my mouth/nose/throat ...
Bookmark and Share

Tags: