Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?
Anxiety Forums & Chat Rooms

NHS and funding

Offline will402

• Personal text
NHS and funding
« on: May 31, 2014, 05:59:48 AM »
For the British folk,

I went to my doc on Thursday, its a ten week wait for CBT.

Thankfully I am not at crisis point as I have been before with the doctor but something has to change, but I think about the people who are right now.

Ironically you can get medication the very same day.

Just a general moan about the state of healthcare for the mind
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

Re: NHS and funding
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 05:33:27 AM »
To be honest it is similar here in Ireland. Queue up nearly three hours to see a Shrink and be seen to for ten minutes at most. It is a joke of a system. They don't really want to know much unless you a threat to yourself or others. We all know people can have bad mental health issues. They really need serious treatment. They refuse to give it because the person is not considered a danger to anybody. So they let the person suffer on. They hand out medication far too easily. You go for a visit. Say you are feeling bad. You are told to take these and come back in a month. That is the amount of help they give you here in Ireland. If you want real help you have to pay big money to get it. That means going private. The costs are through the roof. Most people couldn't afford it.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline will402

• Personal text
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 06:19:42 AM »
Really is awful and such a shame. The only thing that is good is that we dont have to pay unlike in the US, do you have to pay in Ireland?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 09:30:42 AM »
Is free here. They have brought in a levy charge for medication. I pay 10 Euro a month for mine. Still better than other countries.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Online tinam7

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 01:59:23 PM »
It's a disaster here. Mental illness is left basically untreated, they pick up guns and go on rampages. Many casualties.

The most recent tragedy occurred at a uni in CA. One father who lost his son is going bonkers (who can blame him?), determined to fight the gun lobby. He can try.
Bookmark and Share

Offline will402

• Personal text
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 02:57:56 PM »
Totally, its something which I feel very strongly about. It needs the same amount of attention as other illnesses.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Flower

• Personal text
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2014, 10:30:14 AM »
I have to agree. I have developed health anxiety, PTSD, GAD after having my baby along with some physical issues (visual disturbances that started after a migraine and frighten me so much that it makes me depressed, causes episodes of derelisation and keeps me constantly on the edge and affects my ability to interact with my baby). A&E referred me to perinatal mental health team who refused to see me as apparently I am not in so serious a state as to pass their threshold. The advice they gave basically was to try a quick fix CBT (which I have had before with little success) and if that doesn't work, put me on antidepressants. I had to wait for over a month to even get a CBT. I would rather pay an affordable fee to see a doctor if that meant a better health care.
Bookmark and Share

Offline will402

• Personal text
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 04:52:51 PM »
After a ten week wait, they tell me CBT will be ready in three months!
Bookmark and Share

Offline phil_t2cs

• Personal text
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 06:40:51 PM »
My experiences with nhs is pretty similar in that i was advised that cbt could be the answer but there was a 6-8 week wait and I was told the therapist doesn't like the patients to be on high dosage meds. I agreed to a low dosage but after 10 days I was at my worse and getting pretty desperate.  I called my Dr's surgery to see if the therapist woukd take private sessions and was given an nhs backed apt 3 days later.

Until I had this illness I was seldom at my dr's office and rarley needed any medical treatment so it was a bit of a shock to encounter these problems.

Seems in this country (UK) you do have to be at a low ebb to get the right treatment for mental health problems.  Its a worry because those that experience these issues really suffer and do need help. I personally dont know people in countries without a free national health system cope with high cost of medical care. NHS does have problems but at least we have it unlike some.
Bookmark and Share