Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Medications  (Read 249 times)

Offline jjudy2

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Medications
« on: May 31, 2014, 12:34:43 AM »
Hi everyone,
I am new here and very glad to have found a place with people like me.
I have general anxiety disorder and panic attacks.   
I find that doctors just don't want to treat for anxiety.  They are always trying to push anti-depressants on me and I am not depressed.  I am happy with my life but just can't help the anxiety that comes over me.  I get especially anxious if I have to ride on interstates.  I don't drive anymore, but even with my husband driving I get anxious on interstates.  We have just moved to Florida as my husband retired from his job.  We were in Texas and have only been here for 2 months. We don't have a primary care doctor here yet.  I am hoping that when we do I will be able to get something to help me.  The doctor I had in Texas gave me Xanax but would only allow one a day.  Sometimes I need more then that and it was the lowest dose.  She really didn't want to give me anything. 
If anyone else has this problem please let me know what you are doing for meds and what kind of doctor that you go to for help

Judy
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 169
    • Poke This Member
Re: Medications
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 05:52:57 AM »
In some countries doctor's are against various types of medication. Other countries have even banned the same medication. Which I think is silly. Here in Ireland we can get what we want. If it is going to improve your quality of life I see it as big plus. You may find a doctor in Florida who gives out the medication in a different way than the one in Texas. They tend to differ. Based on their own views only. Again which is wrong. Just because they are against them, they refuse to give them to people who need them. Which is stupid. Just let us wait and see what you new doctor is going to be like. With any luck it will be a smart person who will put your needs first.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline Toasted Butter

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 01:18:23 AM »
I sometimes get anxious on interstates, but only when I'm driving. I get anxious about losing control of the vehicle when I experience an anxiety attack. That's never actually happened, but the idea that it might causes me to have anxiety attacks while I'm driving sometimes, especially on the freeway.

I also have similar medication issues. I've been prescribed a lot of antidepressants but I always have a bad reaction to them and now I'm hyper-vigilant about side effects to the point where I'll have full-on panic attacks if I detect the least little thing being off after taking them. About the only thing that helps me is Valium, and I take only very small amounts of that when absolutely necessary. I still feel like my doctor thinks I'm a drug-seeking junkie, even though I can take a 1 month prescription and stretch it to 4 months. She won't refill the prescription unless I come back to the office every single time. The generic prescription only costs me $1 after insurance, but my copay for having to go into the office costs me more than $30. It's absurd that I have to go in every time I need a refill. If I was really abusing it then I wouldn't be able to make 1 month's prescription last for 4 months. It's so ridiculous.
Bookmark and Share

Offline clippergoodwill

• Rec's: 12
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 01:25:33 AM »
Driving with anxiety is the worst.. Especially here in texas where we all drive like maniacs. I can't make it through certain parts of Houston without my breath going ragged.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Never-Quit

• Pay It Forward ! and Be a Blessing to others !
  • Rec's: 22
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Overcomer by God's Grace- Panic/Anxiety/OCD
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 03:17:39 PM »
Hi Judy,

I had this same issue with myself, whenever I switched doctors, and recently I had to intervene on behalf of my mother (76 years old), was experiencing Panic Attacks each morning and her doctor would only prescribe .25 of Lorazepam per day, that did nothing to help my mother from locking herself in her room and afraid to drive anywhere.

The health industry in the United States, especially in California is now cracking down on all general doctors to NOT dispense Controlled Medications - due to knuckleheads that abuse them and sell them illegally in the black market.  Also, California and many states have become very litigious, they are being sued by patients that abused the medications. 

So we are now in a situation where - responsible people, who do need the medications are being denied - the Risk is too Great for the Family General Doctor to prescribe these type of medications.

Some suggestions:

- Get an appointment with a Psychiatrist - it is a hassle, and the wait time is almost a month, but they are much more comfortable in prescribing these controlled medication at Therapeutic Levels and can monitor you for any potential problems.

- Try a different doctor, a trust must established between you and your doctor, so they will feel comfortable dispensing these medication to you.

Feel free to let send me a message - on some ideas - that allow you to strongly assert your legal patient rights to be treated - that I had to resort to - to get my mother her proper medications.

Good luck and always try a different doctor - you need to assert your right to be properly treated!

Hope this helps.   :winking0008:

Bookmark and Share
Never, never, never give up. -Winston Churchill

“You can’t live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you."   ~ John Wooden

Offline DiJoPa

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2014, 12:05:51 PM »
I, too, didn't understand why I was prescribed an anti-depressant for anxiety.
But, it's commonplace, these days.
Anti-depressants help to manage or control a gamut of symptoms/disorders.

I tried a lot of different medications, before I found the right combination that work for me.
Does that mean I never get anxious?  No!
But, it's a hell of alot better than it was.

For me, it's been a l-o-n-g road.
I was in a VERY dark place for MANY years.
I was seeing a psychologist AND a psychiatrist, concurrently.
I no longer see the psychologist.
I see the psychiatrist every (3) months for prescriptions, only.

In addition to "talk therapy" & medications, I found that there are things that I can do to better manage my anxiety.
(1) Deep breathing exercises
(2) Meditation
(3) Listen to relaxation tapes/cd's
(4) Walks outdoors

Find what works for you!
Yoga?  Tai Chi?   

Here's a deep breathing exercise that I do that helps me to CALM DOWN.
Inhale deeply, hold your breath & say to yourself - "CALM"
Exhale s-l-o-w-l-y & say to yourself - "DOWN"
Repeat (2) more times
Be well.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: Patients rights