Member Gallery    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: What is GAD to you? How do you experience it?  (Read 1270 times)

Offline worldbeat99

• Rec's: 17
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: What is GAD to you? How do you experience it?
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2014, 06:14:06 PM »
@Tina, I am part of a supportive online anxiety group.   AnxietyZone won't allow me to say much
about that group and it gets censored.  Here's a hint.  It is a group of faces.  Know what I mean?  It's 9 people I've met at Meetup groups
in Chicago, and from various anxiety websites.

As for ACT vs. CBT.  Try googling a comparison.  CBT is mainly focused on correctly false thoughts that make us suffer.  ACT has to do with
making peace with anxiety, and learning to focus on our goals and values that make us happiest as a way of moving focus from anxiety.
Bookmark and Share

Offline worldbeat99

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2014, 06:17:17 PM »
***** Lizzey, sorry you've had some rough times in your life.  I can see how anxiety could be triggered by them.

But I'm envious that you have an anxiety cat.  That's cool.
Bookmark and Share

Offline worldbeat99

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2014, 06:20:15 PM »
ECee, sorry you're having a bad bout of anxiety.  But that's great you're family is trying to find a good psych. for you to see.

My recent GAD has just been for 5 months and my general doctor has prescribed meds for it like buspar.  I've been on it 10 weeks
but no effect.  So I'm going to see a psychiatrist to manage and guide me anxiety meds.  I'm looking forward to a new perspective.
Bookmark and Share

Offline tinam7

• Rec's: 88
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2014, 08:13:41 AM »
Know what you mean even if I am a tech dummy. It is nice to share issues with others.

ACT stands for Acceptance, Commitment Therapy, perhaps an extension of CBT. Both are very good except that I am also still an old, selective Freudian. Believe we must first have insight into our early years. It is the foundation to then aim for change, as I see it. Altogether the learning experiences are mighty interesting.
Bookmark and Share

Offline worldbeat99

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2014, 10:51:43 AM »
Yes, we can learn from the past.  I have kept a journal since high school which is helplful. I'm 55 now.
But recently I did a house cleaning and through out most of them.  Unfortunately, I threw out some
journals where I had a relapse, then a recovery.  Oops.
Bookmark and Share

Offline tinam7

• Poke This Member
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2014, 03:42:40 PM »
That is a long time since high school. For me, even longer. I was not journaling then, but thinking back I now have such a better understanding of that time of turmoil, confusion, and for me, depression.

But I actually meant childhood. While some issues may originate in the organic brain itself, so much is also conditioned by environment, esp. that very early environment, or so I believe.
Bookmark and Share

Offline worldbeat99

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2014, 03:59:03 PM »
Hi Tina, I think many with anxieties can benefit from looking at childhood experiences.  And there are also anxieties that are not based on experiences and triggera, but rather based on brain chemistry, heredity and such.  It's goes back to the idea of nature/nurture.  Some things are in born, and some things are shaped by experience.  I was fortunate to have a pretty good childhood, and a pretty good adulthood. But still I've dealt with GAD, generalized anxiety, for the past 5 months.

Regardless of how we acquire our conditions, I wish the best to everyone for positive outcomes and being able to manage our anxiousness.  :yes:

Bookmark and Share

Offline tinam7

• Poke This Member
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2014, 07:17:32 AM »
Yes, the big nature/nurture issue and, frankly, the huge mystery of the brain. It can mis-function in any number of ways. So meds may help and be necessary for some people.

PBS was having its fundraiser with Dr. Daniel Amen. I have some of his books with plenty illustrations of brain images. There are noticeable differences. Most of us have no access to such imagery so I rely on my holistic methods. Takes work, patience and constant attention. Sometimes I even enjoy it. My version of brain research. :spineyes:
Bookmark and Share

Offline houndlvr1

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2014, 01:37:46 PM »
So I'm a dopey techie - I don't get the "group of faces" LOL!!
That being said, I was diagnosed (twice) w/GAD and PTSD after I lost my dad 2 years ago.  I had suffered panic attacks back in the 90's after a severe head on collission which happened during a snow storm.  It took me YEARS to be able to drive down that same section of roadway again and I thought after combatting that, my panic was gone.
But as mentioned, it reared its horribly ugly head 2 years ago and apparently its taking an extended vacation in my head LOL.

I get stuck like a needle in a record so to speak on the same thoughts - and unless I can find a way to make myself STOP I can spend the entire day turning a little worry into a huge concern if you know what I mean.

I try to listen to music or read helpful books (always open to suggestions for new ones hint hint!) and I use a relaxation cd if I find that I'm laying in bed just unable to drift off.

I give everyone here credit for picking up and starting over each day - it can be a daunting task sometimes but I keep trying to "fake it til I make it" LOL!
Bookmark and Share

Offline worldbeat99

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2014, 08:18:20 PM »
Hi Hound, thanks for sharing your anxiety story.  I'm sorry for your difficulties.

I think most people underestimate how oppressive GAD can be.
but folks who have it know.  Have you had much like with medications?

I like a book called The Happiness Trap which uses ACT therapy myself.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: