Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Has anyone quit smoking cold turkey??????  (Read 279 times)

Offline Brittney.kerby0510

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Has anyone quit smoking cold turkey??????
« on: May 30, 2014, 05:17:43 PM »
I posted on Monday about my depersonalization feelings I was having over the holiday weekend, now this...... grrrrrrrr...... so after camping over the weekend and coming home Monday, I started to feel sick. allergies I was sure. head stuffy, sore throat. then it went into my chest and I ran a fever. IT WAS TIME TO QUIT SMOKING at this point. (I have been wanting to for a very long time) So I did! It has been 4 days and 2 hours! BUT I feel like DEATH! On top of my head feeling like its going to explode from pressure and the feeling of floating in water, my nose dry and already suffering anxiety..... I added this to ALL of this!! I have been in a constant loopy feeling state of mind, my anxiety/hypochondria is beyond at its worse and now because of all the feelings im suffering, im terrified that I may die from my body going into total shock from all of this!!! Has anyone ever felt dizzy/loopy from quitting smoking? I smoked for 13 years 1/2 pack-pack a day. I dont even want a cigarette... the cravings have been very minimal, surprisingly. its the physical and mental effects im suffering so bad from. Does this sound normal coming from someone who already suffers such horrible anxiety?? TIA
Bookmark and Share

Offline Braveheart

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Has anyone quit smoking cold turkey??????
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 10:11:09 AM »
I posted on Monday about my depersonalization feelings I was having over the holiday weekend, now this...... grrrrrrrr...... so after camping over the weekend and coming home Monday, I started to feel sick. allergies I was sure. head stuffy, sore throat. then it went into my chest and I ran a fever. IT WAS TIME TO QUIT SMOKING at this point. (I have been wanting to for a very long time) So I did! It has been 4 days and 2 hours! BUT I feel like DEATH! On top of my head feeling like its going to explode from pressure and the feeling of floating in water, my nose dry and already suffering anxiety..... I added this to ALL of this!! I have been in a constant loopy feeling state of mind, my anxiety/hypochondria is beyond at its worse and now because of all the feelings im suffering, im terrified that I may die from my body going into total shock from all of this!!! Has anyone ever felt dizzy/loopy from quitting smoking? I smoked for 13 years 1/2 pack-pack a day. I dont even want a cigarette... the cravings have been very minimal, surprisingly. its the physical and mental effects im suffering so bad from. Does this sound normal coming from someone who already suffers such horrible anxiety?? TIA

I smoked for the best part of 10 years, and I quit cold-turkey. I found it easy to stop because I said I wouldn't touch another cig when my nephew arrived; that was 7 years ago(I'm now 30). Fortunately for me, I was never one to get stressed out etc if I never had a cigarette, unlike some people who are addicted to nicotine and get withdrawals. I was never addicted, I smoked for the enjoyment and the social aspect. So, when I stopped smoking I never had any withdrawal symptoms or stress etc, which you might be feeling. Everyone will react differently to quitting smoking, so I wouldn't worry too much about what you're going through or feeling. Just make sure you don't start smoking again :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline valleyplayer42

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Pissed
    Pissed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 10:58:45 AM »
I smoked for 8 years and quit cold turkey 2 1/2 months ago. First week was horrific. Headaches dizziness tingling in fingers agitation. I smoked a few cigarettes in April after drinking some at a family party, felt awful the next day. Cold turkied it, terrible for the next week. Been clean of smoke since then... done with it for good. It is absolutley hideous. =)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Brittney.kerby0510

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 01:17:09 PM »
Thanks for the replies! It's been 15 days since I've had a cigarette! I feel MUCH better! I'm glad it was just a temporary feeling of withdrawal :)
Bookmark and Share

Online ShawnW

• Rec's: 27
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 03:54:13 PM »
IMO, cold turkey is the way to go.  The other methods either get you addicted to vaping, the gum, or just prolong the agony.  Rip that band-aid off...take about 2 weeks to feel like a human being again.  Don't make any major decisions during this time.  I have stopped smoking a number of different ways over the years and cold turkey was the best...intense but you only have a couple weeks of feeling like ish.
Bookmark and Share
My insight, thoughts, experiences or advice that may be posted in this forum are not meant as a substitution for the advice of your physician.

Want to know how to address your anxiety?
http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php/topic,93402.msg521266.html#msg521266

Offline Ira

• Mood: Sleepy
    Sleepy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2014, 08:04:15 PM »
I smoked when I was in college.  When I quit I managed to do it cold turkey.  As long as I kept myself occupied at work or playing games I was fine.  It was when I was alone with my thoughts that I really wanted to smoke.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: