Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Alcohol + Benzo  (Read 175 times)

Offline WhatsUp204

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
    • Poke This Member
Alcohol + Benzo
« on: May 30, 2014, 04:43:31 PM »
Hey guys do you know if it would be safe to drink 3 beers in about 2 hours and then take 2mg of lorazepam 2 or so hours after that?
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 98
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Alcohol + Benzo
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 08:27:47 PM »
Hey guys do you know if it would be safe to drink 3 beers in about 2 hours and then take 2mg of lorazepam 2 or so hours after that?

The half-life of alcohol varies too wildly depending on individual biology to be crtain how quickly it will dissipate, but it is probably somewhere around 2-2.5 hours. So you're likely to have 30-40% of the alcohol you've drunk still in your system when you take the lorazepam. This may not be enough to make much difference, but caution is still needed.

The main danger is that both alcohol and benzodiazepines dampen activity in the brain stem which also, among other things, maintains the breathing reflex. The combination seems to affect the brain stem more than just by a doubling of effect. Those that remain active aren't usually in great danger of asphyxiation, but falling asleep can increase the odds as sleep also affects breathing to an extent. 

Also be aware that alcohol and anxiety aren't great companions. Though booze is probably the most commonly taken anti anxiety 'med' it actually makes it worse (this is also true, BTW, of the second most commonly taken 'med,' nicotine).

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline Buddy122

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 01:19:02 AM »
Really depends on your tolerance and stomach contents. If you're use to taking 2mg of lorazepam a day or more and your body has adapted to that then you will be fine. I'm not necessarily condoning mixing drugs and alcohol, but are you going to black out for the night and die....no, you'll live another day. It would be a good idea to eat in those two hours between drinking and pill consumption as well. Im not a doctor but, semi-unfortunately, I've had a lot of experience with these situations.
Bookmark and Share

Offline e77

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 08:48:43 PM »
I'm with Ian on this one.  I think you're playing "Russian Roulette" mixing alcohol and benzos.  Many doctors hesitate to prescribe benzos because of the drug interaction between ethanol and benzodiazipines.  They fear that the patient will mix the two and overdose as they lose count of how much they drink and pop benzos risking death.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: