Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Doctors quick to prescribe Valium/Xanax etc  (Read 437 times)

Offline Perchancetosleep

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Doctors quick to prescribe Valium/Xanax etc
« on: May 30, 2014, 01:19:58 PM »
Hi everyone, I have had anxiety induced insomnia for the last 6 months. I find it difficult to sleep because of incessant worry. I am petrified of many things before I sleep and they seem to continue as I wake up. Over time, this has led to my sleeping getting shorter and shorter. When I do eventually drift off, my sleep is quite often interrupted which is causing problems at work.

Am a bit concerned about taking Valium as a relaxant before bed. Anyone with any advice? I don't want this to be an Achilles heel in my recovery, that's all.

Dan
Bookmark and Share

Offline Never-Quit

• Pay It Forward ! and Be a Blessing to others !
  • Rec's: 19
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Overcomer by God's Grace- Panic/Anxiety/OCD
    • Poke This Member
Re: Doctors quick to prescribe Valium/Xanax etc
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 02:16:23 PM »
I have been taking Valium for about 15 years now, and would say it one of the best Benzodiazepine for sleep.

One of the best features of this medications it's added ability to deal with Restless Leg Syndrome, back pain and muscle spasms that some of the other Benzodiazepine do not provide (such as Xanax, Ativan, etc.

It is my opinion - a much safer medication than Ambien or Lunesta - which some of my family members have had some very unpleasant side-effects.

What dosage did they prescribe for you?

Hope this helps  :winking0008:
Bookmark and Share
Never, never, never give up. -Winston Churchill

“You can’t live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you."   ~ John Wooden

Offline jk34

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 10:41:25 PM »
Always best to get over your "issues" without medication, but, sometimes it is very necessary for us to use it, and not worry about it playing a role in hindering your recovery. I have been on Klonopin as needed for over 8 years now, and have not experienced any ill fainted side effects a lot of people speak of or any sort of dependency. Do I feel my best on it? Yes. Do I feel the need to take it everyday? Not at all. Take it responsibly, and don't get anxious taking medication that will help your anxiety.

Best of luck friend.

J
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jane Sander

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 05:28:21 PM »
I consider myself very lucky to have gotten over the bulk of my panic from meditation and self-help.

That being said, I do think that a bit of medication may have helped me at my worst stages. I am always so against medication, but it can definitely help if you are in a particularly bad place.
Bookmark and Share
I sometimes write for www.calmandserenity.com which is a resource site by a few members of Health Anxiety Forum to help sufferers of panic and anxiety.

http://www.calmandserenity.com

Proud Headspacer :P