Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Would be nice to hear some encouraging posts too.  (Read 289 times)

Offline worldbeat99

• Rec's: 11
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Would be nice to hear some encouraging posts too.
« on: May 30, 2014, 12:54:40 PM »
Hi everyone.  I come to this site for the comradery and to learn from others dealing with anxiety.  And it's understandable
that many of the posts deal with urgent symptoms and worries. That's an important function of this board and i wish everyone well
on their recovery. But it would also be great to hear from people who are recovering, having good days, who are bravely struggling onward. 
Sometimes I wonder if we are a bit too negative here when we also need encouragement.  At least a better mix.

To that end, I'll chime in.  I've dealt with GAD, generalized anxiety disorder, for 5 months.  To me, GAD feels like a constant shadow over
my happiness. At worst it feels like a nightmare I can't wake up from.  I know what it feels like to be myself and be happy, to have fun.  But the shadow of GAD holds me back. Sometimes it feels like dread or boredom.  But it helps to remind myself to focus on what gives my life meaning, and focus on my talents & energy to create value in the world.  Often anxiety takes much of my attention and I lose sight of my daily and weekly goals.

As for myself I've been exploring many options.
ACT (Acceptance and Commitment Therapy) has been helpful.  See the book The Happiness Trap.  Yoga and physical exercise
has helped lift my spirits, as well as buddhist chanting and affirmations.  I started a Meetup group in Chicago for folks with GAD and other
anxieties, which has led to a growing online group for ongoing support.

So how am I right now on Friday about noon?  I'm ok.  I will see a friend later to watch a movie.  I have a small circle of friends and
I'm pretty open about my challenges.  I'm an open person.  In a few weeks, I'll see a psychiatrist to talk about
meds to explore beyond Buspar.  Maybe Lexapro or Klonopin.  I've researched both and talked to folks with good experiences.  If I grade myself from 0 to 100 with 100 meaning I'm completely myself and recovered -- I'd say I'm about 65%.  I write novels and am reading a novel that may inspire me for my next project.  Another novel is currently submitting to two publishers. 

That's all for now.  Anyone else want to check in and tell us how you're moving forward on your journey? 

:action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lunatone

• Rec's: 19
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Would be nice to hear some encouraging posts too.
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 02:52:52 PM »
Im doing fine in general. my relentless refusal to ever give in to my urges during panic has largely been successful. I still have off days, but they are ever less frequent and rarely become overwhelming. I can hardly even remember what it was like at first. Looking back and seeing how i was so terrified that i'd actually cry is nearly impossible. it just makes no sense at this point.

my only real strategies for getting through it is to do what I always do, and learn absolutely everything i can about the issue. It helps when you can know exactly whats going on and why its going on. keeps you grounded.

Constantly scaring myself with horror movies and creepy stories is unusually helpful. I guess I became so afraid of fear itself that I had no outlet. this gives me one to focus on. Of course in my usual fashion, I burned through the majority of such things. But still, the help continues.

Im still recovering of course. it still gets me now and then. But the improvements are undeniable, and noticable even to me.
Bookmark and Share

Offline kcg13

• Rec's: 6
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • My mind ... both a blessing AND a curse ...
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 03:04:55 PM »
Really good post.  Most days are better than they have been, but I definitely still have my moments. I find that if I am not constantly on top of my anxiety (even when not feeling anxious) then something could set me off and I fall back into it again for a bit.  Vigorous exercise, regular sleep, distraction, positive self talk, socializing, and some aromatherapy helps me.  Also eating well/vitamins helps too.  It definitely takes alot of work to stay out of my anxiety.  I also try to avoid unnecessary depressing stories or movies (I need no help in bringing my mood down!)  Anything uplifting and encouraging (you become what you surround yourself with  :yes: )  I think these kinds of positive threads are important for this!! 
Bookmark and Share
Our thoughts dictate our emotions .... in other words, how you think is what you will feel.

Offline CarrieAnn

• Rec's: 14
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 04:57:34 PM »
I am feeling so much like myself than I have in a few years.  I have faced things that scared me....met my 80's Rock singer---even got his autograph and a hug!  Gone to every party, and wedding I've been invited too; it's very empowering to face fears head on.  I have successfully gotten over the loss of my Mom----now when I think of her I am left with all of the wonderful memories.  When tough times arise I look for the silver lining in it, and believe me one can always be found if you look hard enough.

Life is hard enough, but why cry when you can just a easily laugh?!
Bookmark and Share

Offline CarrieAnn

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2014, 09:07:13 PM »
I am feeling so much like myself than I have in a few years.  I have faced things that scared me....met my 80's Rock singer---even got his autograph and a hug!  Gone to every party, and wedding I've been invited too; it's very empowering to face fears head on.  I have successfully gotten over the loss of my Mom----now when I think of her I am left with all of the wonderful memories.  When tough times arise I look for the silver lining in it, and believe me one can always be found if you look hard enough.

Life is hard enough, but why cry when you can just as easily laugh?!
Bookmark and Share

Offline worldbeat99

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 10:00:32 PM »
Lunatone, kcg13, CarrieAnn -- thanks so much for sharing your journeys.  It's great to hear the various things people do
to manage their anxiousness.  I'm glad no one has taken offense at my post, and I welcome more member sharing.

It helps encourage all of us!
Bookmark and Share

Offline will402

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2014, 05:55:25 AM »
I think for most people when you begin to feel much better the last thing you will would want to do is talk about your hard times. The first thing your going to want to do is run to the hills in happiness.

I think its important for people to remember that
Bookmark and Share

Offline worldbeat99

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2014, 10:30:52 AM »
Will, I think you bring up a good point.   I do suspect that as people recover they may be less likely
to post here about their hard times.  But some might want to share about lessons learned. 

I know when I have breakthroughs and good days, personally I do like to post that here
to encourage others.  Though running to the hills in happiness is a good option too! 
I'd do that right after posting about my recovery.  Good luck to you and everyone.   :winking0008:
Bookmark and Share

Offline asuka07

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2014, 11:26:12 AM »
Thanks for starting this thread, its nice to hear positive things when we are not feeling our best.

After reading everyone's posts about keeping busy I think I am going to go for a run today.  Sometimes i forget how important it is to keep busy.  It's so easy to obsess about our anxieties when we have nothing to do. 

One thing that helps me is telling myself that everything eventually does get better.  You may not feel it at the time, but it will happen.  And when you do feel better enjoy it! 

Have a great weekend everyone!
Bookmark and Share

Offline CarrieAnn

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2014, 12:12:33 PM »
Hi Worldbeat, sorry for the two postings  :-*  as I was reading my original one I noticed that I misspelled a word, so when I tried to modify it I guess I did it wrong  :spineyes:   

But anyway, great topic though!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Stressed Jumper

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2014, 12:59:13 PM »
Hey there!  Fellow GAD sufferer and author here.  Thanks to meds (Zoloft) and being so busy running my own business I don't have enough time for anxiety anymore.  What time I might spend worrying I now spend posting on these forums.  For a few years my anxiety ruled my life, now I rule my anxiety...with an iron fist if necessary.  By keeping busy and putting my students and clients and horses first I have learned to function and be happy again!

P.S. WorldBeat: I write Fantasy too, but more genre specific and less literary than yours.  Would you mind sharing the names of your agent and publisher?  I am currently ready to start shopping two books around and would appreciate any advice you have to give.  Thanks!
Bookmark and Share

Offline worldbeat99

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2014, 02:29:32 PM »
Thanks everyone for keeping this thread active.

Stressed Jumper, I don't currently use an agent.  I self published my first speculative novel THE PROSPECT OF MY ARRIVAL using
createspace   com.   It's on Amazon in kindle and paper.  I recommend you check out Amazon's novel contest.  It's the Amazon Breakthrough Novel Awards.  Annual contest.  I can't post the link here.   And there are good publishers that unagented writers can submit to these days.  Farrar, Straus and Giroux is one of them.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: