Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Feeling Overwhelmed  (Read 101 times)

Offline Katiesue04

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Exhausted
    Exhausted
  • You only live once!
    • Poke This Member
Feeling Overwhelmed
« on: May 30, 2014, 09:14:07 AM »
Today my best friends dad has his Whipple surgery.  He has stage 2 pancreatic cancer.  He is 50 years old.  I am worried about them.  Last night I couldn't sleep.  When I finally did fall asleep after taking sleeping medication I kept waking up every couple hours.  I know it's OK to worry about them and it's only natural but last night I had so many thoughts running through my head it didn't seem like it was normal.  My dad has also had leukemia and he was diagnosed when he was also 50 years old.  So I can more than relate with my friend.   Last night I thought about them, then it went back to when my dad had leukemia and how I felt.  I was only in 8th grade at the time when we found out so I was very young.  I guess maybe I haven't fully dealt with those emotions.  Then it switched to when my grandpa died when I was in high school.  I see the therapist in a couple of weeks.  I would like to talk about this but I don't think it really relates to my anxiety.  Maybe it does because it kept me up all night.  I don't want to make a mountain out of a mole hill.  I guess I really don't know how to start talking about it in therapy and this is causing me anxiety ugh.  I just hope I can make it through the work day and keep myself busy.  Then I can go home and knit and try and keep my mind off of it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline kconnors

• Rec's: 57
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Feeling Overwhelmed
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 09:44:48 AM »
Hi,

For me, and I am not a med professional, what you are experiencing can be a part of anxiety . . . it is about triggers and then how the mind processes these triggers . . . it is true that you may not have dealt with your emotions from your Dad's diagnosis and your grandpa's death because they happened when you were very young . . . often, when we have experiences like these when we are young, we have yet to have developed the critical processing skills and a context . . . we know something sad has happened and we know a person is no longer with us but that is only part of the puzzle . . . sometimes young children and/or their parents rely on their religious beliefs to explain life events but often, even as adults, if we have not had the opportunity to understand those childhood emotions and the impact, well, they can stay with us . . . I am a bit more concerned, however, that you do not feel comfortable in discussing this with your therapist . . . your therapist is there for * your * issues and I think you are showing excellent insight into what may be a starting point for the discussion. Because you want to get a hold on this issue, then it is a legitimate issue. You wonder about how to start the discussion around this with your therapist. Just tell him or her that this is the most recent symptom and that it is triggering a high level of anxiety for you. Absolutely nothing wrong with that. If your therapist is negative or dismissive, then you may need to consider a different therapist. Not all folks match up with the first therapist and, again, the therapist is there for your benefit. I would suggest that before you see the therapist that you take some time to write down issues that you want to address. Now, not all issues may be addressed in one session but you may begin to see a pattern of triggers that you can share with the therapist to help him / her understand your context. As for getting through the work day, and I know this is easier said than done, but when you find your mind wandering to anxiety issues, accept that but move over them and do something concrete to give yourself a new focus and a sense of accomplishment.

As for your friend, you want to show empathy for her and her situation because it triggers how you felt. This is great because we all need friends. At the same time, though, you need to guard against assuming her emotions as yours because I think this might be triggering your anxiety. So, yes, be with her and for her, but also keep an eye on yourself and if you need some distance, then it is perfectly fine to carve out time for yourself to prevent you from feeding off her emotions and intensifying your anxiety. You will be a much better friend to her if she does not feel that she has caused your anxiety to flare and you will be in a much better position to capitalize on your time with the therapist.

Anxiety appears in many different forms to different people . . .the key is to start the recovery process (and it is a process and not a one time event), accept that there will be speed bumps but that you are strong and you can work around them, and please know that you are not alone or not "normal", etc. You are a person who is dealing with a health issue that happens to manifest itself in individual ways. We have all been there and some of us are still there but we are learning or have learned meaningful management techniques and once you match with a good therapist for you, you will be well on your way. And, remember, come here as often as you would like . . . post an update, ask a question, answer a question, or just say hello and give us a virtual wave . . . take care, kc
Bookmark and Share

Offline Katiesue04

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Exhausted
    Exhausted
  • You only live once!
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 10:03:38 AM »
Thank you so much for your response!  You are right it is a trigger.  I guess I need to write down things that trigger me.  Make a list it is a good starting point.  I only had two initial introductory get to know me type appointments at the beginning of April with my therapist and I couldn't get in again until the beginning of June and now I have an appointment scheduled every 2 weeks for the next month in a half so it will be better for me to have that motivation.  I definitely fell off the bandwagon so to speak and I need to get back on it or maybe I was just never on it because of the time lapse between appointments.
Bookmark and Share

Offline kconnors

• Rec's: 57
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 01:58:40 PM »
Hi . . .I think that you are right about the lapse in time . . . sometimes we start to feel better so we stop the process and then anxiety creeps back in (it has happened to me) . . . .eventually, I converted my anxiety into a type of early warning system that something was bothering me and I had to deal with it and this will probably happen with you also . . . right now, though, you need someone to help to guide you, help you to develop processing techniques, and coping strategies that are meaningful to you . . . with a set appointment every two weeks, you can do your "homework" . . . I found that keeping a journal (and it does not have to be long) but just to note how I was feeling when (good and bad) and the circumstances because that helps me to understand my reactions . . . don't worry about falling off the bandwagon . . . the only tune you need to pay attention to you is what you feel is going on with you and with the help of a good therapist, you will manage your experiences . . . in the in between times, though, hope you come by and let us know how things are going or just to say hi . . .take care, kc
Bookmark and Share

Tags: