Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Freaking out! Pregnancy question...  (Read 146 times)

Offline Chantelle

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
Freaking out! Pregnancy question...
« on: May 30, 2014, 08:41:45 AM »
I've been getting really worked up since last night and could use some advice/reassurance. I am 20 weeks pregnant with my second baby and for the last week have been experiencing LOTS of braxton hicks. They settle a little if I spend the day lying down but as soon as I do anything active (like walking in a mall for a couple hours)they come back for the rest of the day :( I'm really worried because I didn't think I was suppose to get so many this early on (they range from a few an hour to every 5 mins).

Anyhow, I left a message for my doctor last night and am now terrified about what he is going to say when he gets back to me. I'm scared that I will go into preterm labour or that something is wrong with my placenta. I know I shouldnt read on the web but one lady said she had a placental abruption at 25 weeks after having too many braxton hicks. Now I'm freaking out! Any advice?
Bookmark and Share

Offline bpadilla49

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Freaking out! Pregnancy question...
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 11:19:47 AM »
I'm a doula. Like a midwife, but not.

Braxton hicks are normal in any pregnancy, and they normally start earlier in a second pregnancy then the first. BUT! You need to drastically increase your water intake. Chug chug chug!!!!! You need to be drinking about a gallon of water a day - no joke. Dehydration can bring on braxton hicks, or even "real" contractions. It's good that you called your doctor. Take his advice.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Chantelle

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 01:08:43 PM »
Thank you for responding. I have been drinking lots and lots of water so I guess I will continue to. I spoke with my dr. this morning and he said he is not overly concerned because they aren't consistent, super strong, involving pain and I am not bleeding. He said he was confidant that I was ok to not come in and get checked out and that if I had any concerns over the weekend not to hesitate to stop at L and D to have baby checked up on.

Do you know if some women experience more braxton hicks than others? I had some pretty consistent, strong bh's started in my third trimester with my last pregnancy but have never had them this early. In fact, I remember having a few days where I would have one long braxton hick all day despite drinking gallons of water.
Bookmark and Share

Offline bpadilla49

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 03:51:55 PM »
Yes, some women do have braxton hicks more than others, and some women may not even realize they're having them, when they truly are. Because we have HA and are so in tune to our bodies, we're going to notice them more then other women.

Stress can bring about BH's as well. Rest. Put your feet up. Take a warm (not hot!) bath, and try to relax. Your doctor knows you and your pregnancy. If he were concerned, he wouldn't gamble with his medical license for one pregnancy. He'd send you straight to L&D. If you really feel that you need to go in, then you need to go in. I feel that a mother knows her body best and needs to trust her TRUE instincts. The hard part is distinguishing between your fear/HA, and your instincts.
Bookmark and Share

Offline kmm110

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 12:39:37 AM »
I was going to call my Dr. on Monday about this as well. I'm 21weeks pregnant and have noticed BH quite a bit for the past 2 weeks..usually when I get up from sitting or sometimes when I'm just lying there. From everything I've read online (and I'm read a lot!), it appears to be normal unless they become real painful or increase in intensity. I'm so  worried about preterm labor too: (
Bookmark and Share

Tags: