Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: High Resting Heart Rate and Tachycardia EVERY Morning?!  (Read 278 times)

Offline snew13

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
High Resting Heart Rate and Tachycardia EVERY Morning?!
« on: May 30, 2014, 08:30:07 AM »
Hello,
I've posted about this before but I'm still worried. I'm a 24 year old, healthy (not overweight) male. I tend to wake up with tachycardia just about EVERY morning even when I shouldn't be anxious (I know that anxiety hits at the subconscious level most of the time). It tends to go down throughout the day but I still have a high resting heart rate (80-95). It freaks me out because I'm worried I'll get heart disease or heart failure (like my heart won't be able to "take it anymore").

I haven't been exercising like I should, mostly because I'm afraid to (I've had extrasystoles a million times while running which freaks me out). I've had 3 EKGs (2 in a panic attack hospital visit), 2 chest x-rays (both in panic attack hospital visits), a stress EKG, physical examinations and multiple full-scale blood tests. NOTHING has come out abnormal. I've never had a history of any heart issues.

My doctor says I don't need an echocardiogram or a holter monitor if all of those things came back normal. I'm going back to him next Friday to demand these 2 tests so that my mind will be (hopefully) put to rest.

I feel like this is ruining my life (it's had a significant effect on my job and personal relationships, I'm always focused on ME and MY symptoms rather than other people which feels so selfish).

I should note that I'm a Christian and am trying to have faith that God is allowing this struggle into my life for a reason. Any advice or encouragement?
Bookmark and Share

Offline patmob

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: High Resting Heart Rate and Tachycardia EVERY Morning?!
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 09:10:00 AM »
First, a resting heart rate of 85 to 90 won't be considered high by a medical professional since the "normal" range is 70-100.

Second why will these additional tests give you peace of mind when the others have not?  You must be careful to not end up in a cycle where no test is good enough and you seek out the next test then the next etc.

Also, I know it's hard but YOU need to take steps to reduce these occurrences which means finding a way to manage your stress, eating right, reduce alcohol consumption and get some rest and some exercise.  The body is a reactionary machine and will greatly respond directly in correlation with how you treat it.

You note your faith - that's great!  Use it and have faith that your docs know their stuff!
Bookmark and Share

Offline e77

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 09:43:53 AM »
I've been where you are and wrestle with heart fears too.  Trust the doc's judgement and focus on managing anxiety.  I understand how frightening it gets.  You don't want to demand more elaborate tests as the risks to damaging your health increase as the test get more invasive.  That's why doctors don't order tests where the risks outweigh the benefits.  They don't want to harm you.  Our hearts are tremendously strong and resilient and change speed all the time.  I wrestle with skipped beats and these are very common too.  Peace
Bookmark and Share

Offline snew13

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 09:56:35 AM »
Thanks. I eat SUPER healthy now - flaxseed oil capsules 3x a day, somewhat-Paleo and heart healthy diet, no dairy (I get my calcium through a good amount of almond milk everyday), no added/refined sugars, no caffeine for the past year and a half, no alcohol since December 2013, water and decaf tea only - chamomile and decaf green tea, multi-vitamin gummies, limiting processed foods, etc.

I'm almost overly about it. I guess I need to trust in Him and my doctor (who also has a psych background and is well regarded in my health network).
Bookmark and Share

Offline vardnas

• Rec's: 98
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2014, 11:35:59 AM »
Patmob is right, as always. As a healthy 24 year old whose preliminary heart tests found nothing abnormal, there's no way your doctor or your insurance company is going to approve those tests. I know they didn't for me when I was 30.

Besides, you need to realize that medical testing does not lead to peace of mind. I tried that, too. Right now, you THINK certainty is just on the other side of that test result, but I promise you, there is always a doctor to doubt or a result to question—always.

You acknowledge the fact that anxiety is largely subconscious, and part of the reason why it's so much worse in the morning is because your stress hormones are NATURALLY higher as you wake up. The extra coristol and adrenaline are there to help make sure your body gets going. Since your stress levels are higher because of the subconscious anxiety, your body is therefore more reactive, and hence your higher heart rate.

Have your talked to your doctor about possible anxiety treatment? If he has a psych background, he should have some significant insight into this matter. Do you have a church home? Ask people there to pray for you—I did that, too, and it helped a lot when I thought I just couldn't handle it anymore. I think we all, as anxious types, want to alleviate all our symptoms right away, and it's hard to sit in the discomfort and fear that health anxiety brings. But, unfortunately, it just doesn't work that way. Getting past anxiety requires a lot of effort and a lot of patience. Your stress levels didn't reach reactive states overnight, so getting them back to a non-reactive state isn't going to happen overnight. Find an anxiety treatment regime that works for you, and stick to it. You won't see results right away, but you will over time.
Bookmark and Share
In case anyone is still confused:  googling your symptoms will cause you to remain in a state of extreme anxiety. Stepping away from the internet is the first step toward lasting peace.

Offline snew13

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 12:04:42 PM »
vardnas, thank you. I tried Paxil (20mg every night) for 8 months and while it worked, it GREATLY reduced my inhibitions and flatlined my emotions. I also gained 25 pounds on it in just 8 months (I lost all of that weight now). I tried Xanax XR and that worked for 3 days. I then tried Prozac (10 mg once a day) and that was the worst experience of my life (TERRIBLE side-effects that made my anxiety worse). The doctor then suggested Effexor and I said "absolutely not, I'm done with medications". The only thing I take now is Xanax as needed (.25mg). I've been medication-free (besides Xanax which I try not to take much at all) since last August (which is a miracle considering all the change I've endured since then - moved out of my childhood home 35 miles away, started a new full-time job out of college, resigned my former part-time jobs around my where I used to live).

I have BCBS HMO of Illinois so I was hoping they'd cover an echocardiogram or holter monitor test but my doctor insists that I don't need it (like your experience, vardnas).

I saw a Christian counselor for a while and enjoyed it but it's much too expensive and I'd like to try a more CBT-based anxiety treatment so I'm going to explore some things this summer. I joined a new, wonderful church I ALWAYS ask my Bible study to pray for my anxiety. It's a constant thing that I ask them to pray for.

I just wish I'd be done with this already! It's been over 3 LONG years and I'm just so tired of feeling like death every morning and etc. I used to sleep great and wake up feeling fine in the past but now it's a big struggle. I hope God has a plan and reason for all of this suffering. Having faith in that plan is VERY difficult for me.
Bookmark and Share

Offline AncientMelody

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2014, 01:18:19 PM »
Just one thought: doctors and other medical practitioners are people too.  It's not right to make unfounded demands on a person, you are a paying customer but you do not own them.

As far as the rest of it: I am sorry that you're feeling this way. I have similar symptoms in the morning quite often to the point that I was getting significant chest pain by the time I got to work, then within an hour or two it'd taper down., but it was exhausting. Initially i was taking propranolol 15 mg twice a day which really helped settle this down. Fortunately I found that when I switched from Lexapro to Prozac, these episodes are occurring much less frequently. Now I'm taking propranolol about two to three times per week rather than twice per day. Hopefully you can find a medication/relaxation/therapy combo that will help you. good luck!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Scaredofsymptoms

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2014, 03:12:29 PM »
I'm 27 and my resting heart rate is ALWAYS over 100. Its just under being able to be clinically diagnosed with tachycardia and I am fine.
When i am super calm I can get it down to high 80s low 90s. Some people just have higher heart rates. Mine has been as high as 130 daily and I'm fine.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: