Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Mammogram radiation  (Read 157 times)

Offline Krum1974

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Mammogram radiation
« on: May 29, 2014, 11:00:06 PM »
I turned 40 this year and am scheduled for my first mammogram tomorrow.  I have had a lot of radiation from numerous CT scans and chest X-ray's due to an illness I had about 8 years ago.  I also had a CT and heart scan last summer due to a panic attack caused by my HA. I swore no more radiation, but my doc feels the risk is minimal for the mammogram.   I'm not so sure.  On one hand I feel I'm more at risk for BC because of my past radiation exposure and need to get the mammogram. There's also family history of BC on my moms side of the family.  I can't help but worry though about even more exposure! Anyone have similar worries? :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline PandaNinja

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • Look for the Light
    • Poke This Member
Re: Mammogram radiation
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 11:01:40 PM »
If its an ultrasound, it doesn't use radiation, just high frequency loud noises, so you're gold in that case.
Bookmark and Share
"Be on the watch, the Gods will offer you chances, know them and take them. You can't beat death, but you can beat death in life. Sometimes the more often you learn to do it, the more light there will be. You are marvelous, and the gods wait to delight in you." - Charles Bukowski, The Laughing Heart

Offline Krum1974

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Mammogram radiation
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 06:23:12 PM »
So I went thru with the mammogram.  They had a sign there saying the amount of radiation was about what you'd get from a flight from NY to LA.  Feel a little better about that.  After the mammogram I Started to relax a bit until the tech told me my breasts were very dense and I'll probably get called back for more scans! Of course now I'm freaking out about that!! It would be nice to go 5 minutes without this awful anxiety and fear!!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: Mammogram radiation