Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: I want to see a doctor....but can't. Please give me advice.  (Read 322 times)

Offline shaula

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • It's a new day.
    • Poke This Member
Hello,

Hope everyone is doing well. I recently moved back home after graduating college. I plan to get a job and move out as quickly as I can, but I have recently run into some issues that are really bothering me. I want to visit a doctor and explain what these issues are, but I cannot afford a doctor's visit, nor the exams that the physician will need to have me undergo in order to examine these issues.

So here is where my issues arise. I do not have health insurance. When I was a college student, I recieved a discount on exams at the student health center. Since I have moved back home and the university I attended is four hours away, that is no longer an option. My parents had health insurance for themselves and recently said they expanded their plan to include myself and my siblings, but they have yet to respond to my questions about the health insurance, and I feel like they opted out of the plan.

Because I live with my parents, low-income clinics need to see tax information for the entire household, not just myself, and so they also cannot give me a discount on exams and doctor's visits. I am not sure what to do our who to turn to, but I really need advice or some insight into this situation.

As for the issue I have, it is a lump on my left thigh. It is on the outer part of the thigh, about four inches above the knee. I don't know how long it has been here, but I noticed it a few months ago. It does not hurt and it is not a well-defined lump, either. It is not raised very much. I have attached pictures of my left leg and my right leg, so you all can see what I mean (and also that I am not crazying myself out).

I tried my best not to google, but I did and I am so scared that I have cancer, because those are the only options that came up when I searched. When i looked up pictures of lipomas -- which are supposed to be benign fat deposits -- my leg leg looked nothing like what I came up. Those are very raised, very well defined lumps. Not like mine.

I am so scared, and I want to go to a doctor to be examined, but I have limited options, as I said before. I would like some advice or insight into this situation.
Bookmark and Share
Everything will be alright in the end. If it's not alright, it's not the end.

Hold on if you feel like letting go.

Offline shaula

Thoughtful
  • It's a new day.
    • Poke This Member
Re: I want to see a doctor....but can't. Please give me advice.
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 05:16:45 PM »
Sorry for adding this, but here is the photo of my right leg, the leg without a lump or anything. I am very sorry about the image quality, I don't have a good camera on this...
Bookmark and Share

Offline rap_Talon

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Depressed
    Depressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 05:52:38 PM »
Unfortunately, I know this is not what you want to hear, but it's almost certainly something you'll need to see the doctor about it. Nobody here can make a diagnosis, as we don't have the knowledge or training to do so.

That said, there are a number of things it could be. Have you looked up cysts, to see if that looks similar to your problem? That would be the thing that immediately springs to my mind.
Bookmark and Share

Offline crikee57

• Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 68
  • Mood: Sleepy
    Sleepy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 05:58:23 PM »
Hi shaula,

Remember that google is not a doctor and sadly when you google symptoms the worst possible scenarios are always the ones that come up on a search.  You said the benign lipomas are all larger in the images you saw online.  Try to keep in mind that though they may be large now, they must have started small and grew.  Everything on google can be taken out of context and just like the news - the scariest stories get the most hits.  I don't think you have anything to worry about, but I know that is not how the anxious mind works. Personally I have a couple of raised areas on my skin and I have had them looked at eventually by doctors and none have ever been a concern.  The human body is imperfect and gets things like this all the time.  Definitely get it checked by a doctor but try not to focus and worry about it right now.

You should also ask your parents if they did get you covered by insurance.  Making assumptions that they did not add you is not a good idea.  For all you know, you have coverage and don't even know it.  If not, then talk to your parents about a way to get you added or about how you can see a doctor. 
Bookmark and Share
It's not what's in front of us that stops us.  It's what's inside that holds us back.

Offline shaula

Thoughtful
  • It's a new day.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 06:02:18 PM »
I have looked up cysts, but I don't think those are what it is. For one, it doesn't feel like the lump is so immovable under the skin. If I relax my leg, the lump is soft. If I tense up the muscle, the lump tenses as well. I think a cyst may be a little more...immobile? under the skin.

I know I need to see a doctor, but given my circumstances, I don't see how exactly I can get to one. I feel like I am stuck. I did contact my previous employer who agreed to hire me again, but she is under a hiring freeze and I cannot be picked up until September, and I don't know how I can wait that long. I have been applying for jobs left and right, hoping maybe one will pick me up and I can save money and pay cash for a visit, but if I need x-rays or mri's, I will definitely not be able to afford those. I don't know what to do.
Bookmark and Share

Offline shaula

Thoughtful
  • It's a new day.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 06:07:10 PM »
crikee, thank you for your response.

Ultimately, I know I shouldn't google. I do keep in mind that the incidence of C in a young adult as myself is very, very low, even lower for the type that. I was reading about. I think they are 1% of all cancers diagnosed in the US, which makes the odds very low, but I think, no....I could be that one in a million.

I will try to talk to my mother again when she gets home. I know I tried to help her find plans for all of us for a while, but she never really brought it up again. If I do have health insurance, do you know how it works exactly? Can I just walk into a doctor's office and be seen? Or do I need to go to a specific one? I don't know anything about health insurance besides the barest of facts.

And if it winds up that I do not, what can I do then? My parents are very strange when it comes to sickness and preventative care. They don't really believe in going to the doctor for preventative medicine and routine checkups. Until I moved away from home, I had not seen a doctor or a dentist since I was a little girl...thinking about that kind of upsets me, actually.
Bookmark and Share

Offline IAMHEALTHY

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2014, 07:38:05 PM »
Maybe it's a ganglion cyst?

I have one on my wrist and it is very moveable
Bookmark and Share

Offline shaula

Thoughtful
  • It's a new day.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2014, 07:57:25 PM »
Maybe it's a ganglion cyst?

I have one on my wrist and it is very moveable

Thank you, but my lump also doesn't look very defined like those are (at least the ones I just looked up on google). It is almost like...how do I describe...when you get a bug bite, and it turns into a gentle little dome of a lump? It doesn't stick out of my skin so much at all, but it is big around enough to see, especially when I move my leg in a certain way. I am not even sure it is a lump: when I feel under my skin, I can't really feel anything that I can call lumplike. It isn't soft or hard, but not really immovable or squishy, either.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 15
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2014, 05:42:25 AM »
Just wondering why everyone else seems to have seen a photo but I don't...
I don't see anything in the body of the post nor is there any link to click on, how else could I view it?
Bookmark and Share

Offline jordannicole812

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2014, 10:33:02 PM »
hi! I recently had the same thing, and it was a knot in my thigh muscle. I had to massage it several times per day and it took a few weeks to go away! it may be that.

there are definitely many possibilities other than cancer!!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline shaula

Thoughtful
  • It's a new day.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2014, 11:50:43 PM »
Thank you so much for your response. I am trying not to panic and to manage this ha attack, but it has been hard. I have a tendency to jump to the worst of conclusions and that is something I badly need to work on...
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 15
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2014, 06:51:07 AM »
Well, like I said, I seem to be the only one that can't view any photos - but I will kinda guess what it looks like?
If it's been there for months it can't be anything because those kinds of cancers grow really fast.  My mom has one on her wrist and her doctor told her it was a fatty deposit.   It's pretty big too like if you'd imbed a golf ball inside your wrist.
Bookmark and Share

Offline shaula

Thoughtful
  • It's a new day.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2014, 11:48:56 AM »
I am sorry you could not see the photos, I am not really sure how they work. In any case, I am trying to relax and not think about it. I have been working on a health anxiety self-help book in my free time, and I have tried to spend more time outside instead of being cramped up indoors. I think this stuff tends to get worse when I'm alone and not distracted....I just hope one day I can get on top of it.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: