Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Zoloft and Abilify  (Read 162 times)

Offline Raichoo

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Zoloft and Abilify
« on: May 29, 2014, 04:20:57 PM »
Hey all, so I met my psychiatrist for the first time and she seems to believe I have depression as my therapist said but disagrees with the therapist's diagnosis of GAD and thinks it's more OCD but regardless it is a combo of depression and anxiety it seems. So anyways besides the disagreement in diagnosis she prescribed me Zoloft and Abilify. However, after checking, it seems these two drugs interact. http://www.drugs.com/drug-interactions/abilify-with-zoloft-233-109-2057-1348.html So I'm confused as to why she prescribed me both. But regardless of interaction or not, I am terrified by the side effects, especially Abilify's. There's so many possible side effects, I'm just so scared to take them as a result. I don't want those horrible side effects (especially ones about seizures and such) and I especially don't want these drugs to make me want to or successfully do commit ***** or even harm/kill others. If anyone with experience with these drugs could offer their input it'd be much appreciated.
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

• Rec's: 103
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Zoloft and Abilify
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 06:41:33 PM »
So anyways besides the disagreement in diagnosis she prescribed me Zoloft and Abilify. However, after checking, it seems these two drugs interact. http://www.drugs.com/drug-interactions/abilify-with-zoloft-233-109-2057-1348.html So I'm confused as to why she prescribed me both.

Lots of meds interact with each other, but this can be allowed for by adjusting their doses. It is the main reason meds aren't available over-the-counter. In this case the Zoloft increases the effectiveness of the Abilify a little so you may have been prescribed a lower dose than would be the case if you weren't taking Zoloft.

I am terrified by the side effects, especially Abilify's. There's so many possible side effects, I'm just so scared to take them as a result. I don't want those horrible side effects (especially ones about seizures and such)

The drug companies list every side-effect reported during drug trials, even ones they know weren't from the med to cover themselves, it doesn't mean you're going to experience any of them. Some of the most dangerous meds you can take are the common painkillers.

I especially don't want these drugs to make me want to or successfully do commit ***** or even harm/kill others

One of the FDA's greatest errors has been the issuing of the blackbox suicidality warning on antidepressants. It simply isn't supported by the evidence. In not one of the studies the FDA cited was there a single case of an actual serious attempt at taking a life, much less a death. Two of the cases cited involved a young girl who stabbed herself in a ear with a pencil during a school test, and the other was a teen who beat his head against a wall apparently while frustrated, and no, I'm not making this up. Bottom line, after several decades of steady declines, ***** rates among under 25 year olds began to increase after the blackbox warnings were issued in 2004.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline Raichoo

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 08:31:22 PM »
I see. So what do you think of something else I read. Apparently you are supposed to take Abilify after you have already been on the main SSRI or whatever for a couple of weeks. I don't understand why I was given both to take immediately.
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 09:09:41 PM »
I see. So what do you think of something else I read. Apparently you are supposed to take Abilify after you have already been on the main SSRI or whatever for a couple of weeks. I don't understand why I was given both to take immediately.

Were possible two meds should not be started (or stopped) at the same time as it can then be difficult to work out what is causing a problem, however, I suspect your psychiatrist wants you on the Abilify to help ease you through the initial Zoloft side-effects and to control your anxiety levels until Zoloft begins working in 3-12 weeks.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline Raichoo

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2014, 07:30:09 PM »
Oh that makes sense. I've noticed though that Zoloft seems hard to taper off of. Is it highly addictive then/dangerous when you're tapering off?
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 08:34:21 PM »
Is it highly addictive then/dangerous when you're tapering off?

None of the antidepressants (ADs) is addictive (nor are benzodiazepines), but they will produce dependence after a few months and there will be a physical and psychological reaction if they are discontinued abruptly. They need to be weaned off slowly over some weeks. Reducing the AD dose at about the rate you tapered onto it is usually about right.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline Raichoo

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2014, 08:39:08 PM »
Oh I see. Thanks for answering.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: